Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deputy30
Well Form pretty much described me as I am over 50 and always thought a shotgun loaded with #2 would be an awesome home defense gun.

As I am trying to educate myself, what ammo in 5.56 would you recommend for an AR?

Oh boy. If you only had guys from my area responding, that would be a 50 pager. smile

Right now I'm setting up to run Black Hills and IMI 77 gr SMK BTHPs in my BCM 11.5" pistol.

Midway isn't the best price. These links are to show info on the ammo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...o-77-grain-sierra-matchking-hollow-point

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...azor-core-sierra-matchking-hollow-point#

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 62 grain fusion is not cheap but it does a good job.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Setting up a centerfire rifle for defense inside a home is "postmodern".

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by night_owl
Setting up a centerfire rifle for defense inside a home is "postmodern".

I don't see anything Marxist about it, nor do I care about the identity politics of anyone who violated my home.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/16/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image]

Talk about hips out of socket, that 'Buss would cut a man in half. cool a couple pounds of horseshoe nails would be rough.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Having run shotguns, ARs, PCCs, and pistols in ‘room clearing’ scenarios, a shotgun is not my ‘first’ choice, but all will get the job done. Hits matter. The rest is up to whatever you want. HD may actually be the only place I think a 300 blk is a pertinent choice, if you care about recoil, noise, blast, ease of use, and effectiveness.....in balance. It beats a PCC, has lest recoil than a shotgun, less noise and blast than a 5.55, runs good in short barrels or suppressed, and good bullets for vermin/defense. For a wife who likes to shoot and wants to train, a 300 AR might get mastered enough far easier/sooner than the other options. I have them all nearby. I also know that even bird shot will go through several layers of wall board/sheet rock, and #4 buck will go through 3-4 rooms and (at soft angles) deflect and skitter down Sheetrock in hallways and ceilings like rubber balls. Rifle/pistol rounds change course less against typical house stuff than round balls at soft angles, or so it seems. JME....not saying it’s more than the next guy OR what you should choose, other than attempt to practice and train so whatever you use, requires zero conscious thought if rattled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
so. Has anyone changed their mind yet? laughing

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, the first objective is to kill the bad guy(s). Screw the house.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/19/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
and finally someone makes a reasonable suggestion!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey, the first objective is to kill the bad guy(s). Screw the house........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When the [bleep] gets real I want to be in Dan’s foxhole.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

The 16" Marlin 45 Colt has been known to sleep near me.....

250 grain hard cast boolit could/would lessen any threat.......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tikka, try paper patched pure lead, it hits like Thor's hammer.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin I vote for a Howdah pistol instead. Two Shots grin

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

[Linked Image]

I’ve always wanted a Howdah!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

[Linked Image]

I’ve always wanted a Howdah!!!

They are fun to play with for sure!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We still chatting this up after all these years and dead bodies and bullet and caliber studies. All that matters is that the shooter quickly puts multiple hits in the kill zone with what ever weapon they are shooting and they will have a corpse they can be proud of. Just get good with your gun, shoot fast and accurately and don't stop shooting till what ever you decide to shoot the crap out of is toast. Just saying....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Describe every detail of the bad guy, scenario, wife, location...
then, we might get to the right gun.

But, it will be compromised as soon as details change.
In real life, every choice is a compromise.
You need to start with what the shooter is competent with,
then start checking boxes.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've looked at this issue for a long time, and keep coming back to an AR. Better ergos, capacity, flexibility, reliability.

I live in fairly nice suburbs, but in the past 8 months there's been two home invasions within 5 miles of me, with multiple armed perps. In one case a homeowner checked on a noise and was shot to death. In another case armed suspects broke in in the middle of the night, and were frightened away by the home alarm. Two suspects were charged with capital murder in the first case; the 2nd I've read nothing about perps being captured.

There have been similar crimes throughout the area, so apparently multiple armed invaders are in fashion. So - no revolver for me, for serious social purposes. A Colt 6920 and a Daniel DDM4V5 get the nod as house guns. They work well, and never, ever, not ever...jam. There are also high-cap 9mm pistols handy.

I've dabbled with PCC's. Part of me wants to believe that a modern version of a Tommy Gun would be perfect, but there are compelling arguments to the contrary

I've never been crazy about the notion of pump shotguns, or any "tactical shotgun". I watched a guy at the range one day with a Benelli M4 - about as uber as you can get in a shotgun. At the 30 yard patterning board, a load of 00 buckshot made a about a 6 inch pattern. So yeah devastating when it hits, but you have to aim it just as well as a rifle, and you only get 8 shots, plus much worse ergos. And the M4 is damn expensive.

I like the idea of the bullpup shotguns, like the KSG, but the reliability is suspect. The ergos are a mixed bag.

A pistol AR seems more feasible, as far as ergos in close quarters. They will merit further investigation.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Multiple invaders seem to be the norm these days. I recall a couple of years ago a group of youth invaded the home of a woman who owned a Chinese restaurant, she started unloading on them with a G17 IIRC, the home had an internal video camera as they stored restaurant supplies there. They were moving like their heads were on fire and their asses were catching. I think one assumed the deceased position and another was shot.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.