Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy Bob died back over the winter. His widow is starting to shovel out his collection in the garage.
One of the things she gave me was Bob's shotgun reloading equipment, including a MEC Super 250.

Now what?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mec Super 250 was one of Mec's first loaders featuring a collar that went over the hull. These are superb with Federal paper Champion hulls, work slick as hell. The old red paper WW's, to the green paper Remington's not as well( they aren't waxed). Some plastics can be a SOB. Make sure the inside of the collar is smooth and CLEAN as you can keep it, a 12 ga brush with a wisp of 4 ought steel wool and WD40 chucked in a power drill works great for this. Loaded a lot of shells on one, no they aren't fast or worth a lot but are a versatile useful tool. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Now what? load some shells and be with bob in spirit.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my only reservation is that I don't want to see Bob all that soon. To that end, I want to get it right.

There's a charge bar with inserts. Do the MEC inserts from the 600 work in the 250? Are there still parts for this thing?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
That is a piece of history right there. What I would do first is, get the owners manual and check for completeness. Yes, possible parts are available or interchangeable. I found this, https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/250.pdf

IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Truball. I'm going through it now.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's what's missing:

1) The shot bottle
2) All the bits and pieces that attach to the bottom: The primer seating cup and the bottom of the sizer die.

I'm going to contact MEC and see about replacements.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The shot and powder bottles on Mec's are all threaded the same. I believe the primer cup ,spring and platen not to be a problem either. parts to the sizing die maybe a problem though, good luck let us know how you come out. MB

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I called MEC, and they were not at all optimistic.

They have no parts. The parts are not interchangeable. The model stopped being made in the 60's. That was when Bob was at the peak of his outdoor writing career. Bob had probably not touched the loader since I got to knew him in the early 80's.

It's okay. I'm not bitter. I'd not had any big plans to load shotgun shells. In fact, y'all did a good job of talking me out of it a few years ago on this very forum.

I also know that if I do get the itch, I can buy a used MEC setup for $100 or less on ebay.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shaman those old Super 250's were at their best loading the old Federal paper hull with the waxy finish. Plastic hulls got sticky in them BTDT.

IC B3

G
G
If you don't know what to do with it, just keep it as a memory of your friend who passed away.

G
G
This would probably be the best option, because I don't think that selling it would be the right choice, because in this way you kinda refuse from the memories that you were friends. It look like it's still working, and why not you use it on your own, you could buy some additional tools and make a small workshop in your garage or somewhere else, and do things on your own. You can click here, and see what you can choose, according to your preferences.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.