Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This Buck 105 belonged to my brother-in-law who recently passed. He apparently got this when he was a kid as the tip was broken off and he had attempted to resharpen it on a belt sander. There was a fair amount of corrosion on it as well. I was thinking about trying to restore it myself and thought maybe it wasn't worth the time. Then I went on the Buck website and saw the offered a recondition service for $6.95 so I sent it in. This is how it looks now. I wish I had a before pic. They did a fantastic job on this knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice to know about the service. Glad it worked out so well on your heirloom piece.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is it reshaped or new/replaced?

I found a Buck folder in n a 2nd hand store. They fixed the lock, cleaned and polished, and sharpened it. Under their lifetime warranty.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It's reshaped. The blade is about 1/4" shorter than standard size

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bill N: I always enjoy buying. owning and using Buck Knives!
I have at least two dozen of them.
Over the last 50 years I have only needed to use the Buck "warranty services" twice and both times there was NO charge for those repairs.
One of those times they repaired my knife free of charge while I waited there at their factory in Post Falls, Idaho!
I think dollars spent on Buck Knives are amongst the VERY BEST, invested/spent dollars, in all the outdoor world!
Long live Buck Knives Incorporated - a fine American Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Agreed. I thought about tossing the knife, it was that bad. Then I saw the warranty details and figured for $6.95 I’d give it a Try. To be honest it was abused and damaged by my brother in law. No company should be expected to warranty something like that.

I have a Buck 2 blade folder with a gut hook and drop point blade that has been my primary hunting knife for the last 15 years or so. If I need something bigger now I have the 105.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have done that with a few Bucks of mine. One man in a both does all of the work. He's been with them for 40+ years. The tour of the factory is a must see if you are ever up that way.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Case has replaced blades on several pocket knives for me. They didn’t charge anything.

Last edited by hanco; 07/05/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like and have several Buck knives. They hold an edge better than many other brands I've owned.

I have returned 2 folding lock blades (knives) that they replaced free of charge.

How can you beat that ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I took my boys and one of their friends on a tour. They replaced blades on two folders I had in the truck. One had a chip out of the blade(110) and a smaller one that didn't seem to hold an edge worth a crap and had been sharped to a isosceles triangle over the years. They even polished the bolsters. I still wish they'd go back to using 440C as the 420HC isn't impressive at all.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had an old Buck 119, used it for a camp knife. One day I casually threw it 10’ trying to stick a large tree. When it stuck the tree it sounded like someone hit a tuning fork with a hammer, and the blade shattered in two with a loud PIIIINGG.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always great to see a company back their product. Never an issue with Bucks for me with several models as well as backups for each.. I am one, however, with the mindset that abuse on my part should not warrant free repairs or replacement by the manufacturer. Have a few acquaintances though that exercise warranties and insurance coverage to no end.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/19/19.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old buck 110 that I have had since around 1978. I realized that I locked my keys in the truck when I came out of the woods after dark. Had to pry open a vent window (remember those?) and broke the tip. I reshaped it but probably not as good as buck would have done.

Still have the knife but use it on the work bench. I think I may send it in for a reconditioning. Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Always great to see a company back their product. Never an issue with Bucks for me with several models as well as backups for each.. I am one, however, with the mindset that abuse on my part should not warrant free repairs or replacement by the manufacturer. Have a few acquaintances though that exercise warranties and insurance coverage to no end.

Agreed. I wouldn't have expected any warranty coverage but the reconditioning option for $6.95 is great!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I have an old buck 110 that I have had since around 1978. I realized that I locked my keys in the truck when I came out of the woods after dark. Had to pry open a vent window (remember those?) and broke the tip. I reshaped it but probably not as good as buck would have done.

Still have the knife but use it on the work bench. I think I may send it in for a reconditioning. Thanks.

I have a very similar story. My first Buck was a 110 purchased in '78 and while living in the dorm in college in either 80 or 81 had a high school buddy come and visit and he locked his keys in his Dodge truck and "borrowed" my knife to open/pry his slider back window open. He got the window opened but left me with a shorter blade. I too reshaped it to make it work but its not pretty.

I think my old knife needs to go home and be reborn. The service sounds great. After reconditioning I might have to reacquaint the knife with it's old nicely patina ed sheath which now holds my newest 110. It's an automatic in 30SV, a really cool knife.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
I took my boys and one of their friends on a tour. They replaced blades on two folders I had in the truck. One had a chip out of the blade(110) and a smaller one that didn't seem to hold an edge worth a crap and had been sharped to a isosceles triangle over the years. They even polished the bolsters. I still wish they'd go back to using 440C as the 420HC isn't impressive at all.

There are several online vendors and also the Buck Custom Shop that offer Buck knives with upgraded blade steels.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I purchased a Spitfire on Amazon with S30V steel and a Omni Hunter with Sandvik 12c27mod steel for the blades respectively. Very nice knives!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, Akhutr, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,198
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.