Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Still more questions than answers. GD

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Five dead people in a small, remote area sounds like a serial killer at work to me.

? 3 dead, 2 missing? hard to keep count, sadly. I love that area of northern BC, been through there several times.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said at a news conference that Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, from Port Alberni, British Columbia, are the main suspects in the slayings of 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, who were discovered shot to death on July 15 along the side of the Alaska Highway near Liard Hot Springs, British Columbia.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

SheriffJoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that all is as it should be in your world tonight.

With the understanding that the last time I traveled the road up through to Dease Lake last in 1987, I can only relay how it was then.

Back then, it was gravel - more or less well maintained gravel, but gravel and about as good as the average log haul road is here in southern BC.

It is, or was anyway, incredibly lightly used and it's very remote in all manners of the description. Sorta like when you're travelling out of Lusk, Wyoming and the sign says "Next fuel so many hundred miles away".... and you've only passed two semis in the last hour, right?

Well the road into Dease we didn't see another vehicle going either way for over 4 hours as I recall.

It is, as we are known to say down here in southern BC, as spot definitely, "far from your mother's loving arms".

When we did the trip we had spare fuel, lots and lots of food, tenting equipment, tarps and yes it goes without saying we were armed to the teeth. wink

Folks who aren't used to traveling in back country sometimes are lulled into a false sense of security that all places in this grand land are as safe and "user friendly" as the places they've been so far - but the sad fact is they've not been very far afield.

It's sad when this happens, it pains me deeply to see things like this or the young couple who were killed last week and I wish with all my heart it didn't happen.

What we both know beyond the shadow of a doubt however, is that terrible things do happen to good people, even here in relatively safe rural Canada.

Lastly, when I am teaching the survival night of Hunter Safety here in BC - it's a 3 nights a week for 3 weeks course to hunt here by the way - anyway I tell the class two things. First," the mountain doesn't care if you die on it "and second, "luck favors the prepared."

Anyway sir, that's just a few thoughts from a semi-old guy who's spent the last 35 years kicking around the back country in 3 provinces and a few western states too.

All the best to you as we head closer to fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/23/19.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Latest is the two missing boys are suspected of killing the other 3. The first killing was within a mile of where the boy's burning vehicle was found.

Which doesn't mean the boys aren't also dead somewhere, but LEO apparently has additional info not yet reported.

Last edited by las; 07/23/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Last known location of the two, who are on the run and travelling in a stolen car, was northern Manitoba. RCMP say to call if you spot them. Unfortunately, shooting on sight is no longer an acceptable option. GD

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i hunt and fish by the Canadian border also have a home 15 miles from the border ,i no longer go to Canada since the gun laws are so difficult now days. i don`t understand why Canada makes it so difficult to take even just a pump shotgun into Canada for my protection ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

C O N T R O L .

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not nearly as difficult as it is for a Canadian to take a shotgun or target rifle into the US, if you want to speak of control. The truth is, self protection is a state of mind as much as anything. Having said this, when I'm travelling in remote areas, I like to be armed. However, being armed without being vigilant doesn't do a lot of good and there can be little doubt that these people were taken unawares. GD

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Not nearly as difficult as it is for a Canadian to take a shotgun or target rifle into the US, if you want to speak of control. The truth is, self protection is a state of mind as much as anything. Having said this, when I'm travelling in remote areas, I like to be armed. However, being armed without being vigilant doesn't do a lot of good and there can be little doubt that these people were taken unawares. GD

+1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

A responsible armed citizen is ALWAYS vigilant or they should NOT be armed.

Uh huh...anytime someone points a firearm in your direction and YOU are unarmed qualifies as being "...taken unawares".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+2

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am sorry to learn this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

100% on vigilance.

Everybody is Johnny Rambo.
"I would XXX that Mf'er.
I carry a xx with xx cartridges in the mag, one in da tube,
and can hit what I shoot at".

Boy that sounds good.
Few assailants want to play quick draw, none want to give you a chance.
They will do their best to keep you calm, until a time of their choosing.
Then there is the mental processing time, shock that this is happening,
And finally, reaction time.

The click is running, and it rarely favors the good guy.

But again, nobody wants to confront this reality.
Having a gun makes them feel like superman.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The two young men are now, almost certainly, in Northern Manitoba and will likely be apprehended in the near future. If not, the mosquitoes will drive them to surrender or commit suicide! Of all the places I would like to spend time on the run, northern Manitoba is way down on the list. Mosquitoes, blackflies, horseflies, noseeums, Manitoba has it all. If you like insects that bite or suck, the northern prairies are the ideal destination.
I have spent a lot of time travelling alone, camping alone, sleeping in ditches, or in the back of my truck and I am as aware as most but I'm sure I could be caught unawares as well. The truth is, situations like this are extremely rare and it is unlikely a person will have to deal with it. Under these conditions, a lapse in vigilance is not just understandable but inevitable.
I think it is worth pointing out that the murders which took place in this instance were not the work of residents of northern BC but were perpetrated by a couple of youths travelling through. The rural north is certainly a lot safer than Detroit. GD

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

i am always prepared for a fight gun,knife and body i taught my kids to be careful too.always watch ,keep your back to the wall when possible ,escape route if needed. know where that weapon is trust no one. if someone points a weapon at you ,you better know what decision to make live or die you have 1/10 of a second and i plan on tellin the true story. yes its sad these 2 young people were killed but they believed the world is safe always taught by liberals. that is how people die thinking that way,truck stops,anytime your in a strange area,gas stations even cities are all dangerous. believe it or not the safest place to be is at a gun show everyone is packin then.be ready ,be safe always watching.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
they ran back east, hope no one else get's hurt

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.