-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah I have never understood the need for the featherweight. If they were going to make featherweights they should have made the 257 and the 220 swift in featherweights. A featherweight 270 or 30-06 is just unnecessary recoil.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a lot to like about a Sporter weight rifle. All my pre 64's are standard Sporters. But I also really...... really like my short action Classic Featherweights, both blued and stainless.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The difference in weight between fwt and sporter barrels that I have had has been right around 12 ounces, and fwt bottom metal is 3 ounces less than the steel factory (pre 64) bm. Stocks are another area where the fwt stock is less, by a few ounces.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
The difference in weight between fwt and sporter barrels that I have had has been right around 12 ounces, and fwt bottom metal is 3 ounces less than the steel factory (pre 64) bm. Stocks are another area where the fwt stock is less, by a few ounces.

Ive had fwts weigh in right at 6.5 pounds and some standards weigh in at 9 pounds. To me, thats a substantial difference. That doesnt include the 375H&H I had. It was a pig.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
For good reason I bet!!

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I could see hunting a std rifle in something like a 300 or 338, otherwise fwts for me when I am covering some ground!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I could see hunting a std rifle in something like a 300 or 338, otherwise fwts for me when I am covering some ground!

I always thought that as well, until I got my brown precision poundR on my 338WM. That rifle weighs 7 pounds on the nose and it's a joy to carry and not really that bad to shoot either. Ergonomics plays a big role in how they mitigate recoil. As far as featherweight recoil, the 308's, 270's and 30-06s have been puzzy cats to shoot. Even the ones with the original aluminum butt plate.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stock is under slight modification right now, but got in the excellent condition sight hood. Even pocono wouldn't complain about this one!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the barreled action out of the stock:
[Linked Image]

Hey gundoc, it isn't wearing weavers. Ha ha...

Side note: Have an all original fwt stock coming to my addy as we speak... wink cool

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Side note: Have an all original fwt stock coming to my addy as we speak... wink cool

Weaver mounts are good enough for Phil Shoemaker and they were good enough for Finn Aagaard. I figure they're good enough for me. cool
First thing I said when I saw the pic was "Yep, Leupold DD's. No surprise." wink
Seriously, I think Leupold DD's and QR's are some of the prettiest mounts you can get for reasonable money. But there are reasons each don't suit me as much as others. Different people have different priorities, and there ain't a thing wrong with that. Why I like what I like is at least a page or two.
Lately, I am warming up to Burris Signature Zees as well. Let's just say I haven't had your luck with M70's, old or new, aligning rings or aligning with where the barrel is pointed.

Did the incoming stock come from the 'bay?
I don't know if you remember, but a few years ago I scored what I believe is a Fwt. stock, cut for a pad, for stupid cheap because it was not identified and marketed correctly. We had some PM's about it. I'm hanging onto it in hopes that someday I'll stumble onto a deal like the one you just did. That would have been the perfect deal for me, a good rifle in a "wrong" stock, for too cheap. And my first two choices would be .30-06 or .270, either one.
You still suck for finding that! mad Just kidding, of course.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Weaver mounts are good enough for Phil Shoemaker and they were good enough for Finn Aagaard. I figure they're good enough for me. cool
First thing I said when I saw the pic was "Yep, Leupold DD's. No surprise." wink
Seriously, I think Leupold DD's and QR's are some of the prettiest mounts you can get for reasonable money. But there are reasons each don't suit me as much as others. Different people have different priorities, and there ain't a thing wrong with that. Why I like what I like is at least a page or two.
Lately, I am warming up to Burris Signature Zees as well. Let's just say I haven't had your luck with M70's, old or new, aligning rings or aligning with where the barrel is pointed.

Did the incoming stock come from the 'bay?
I don't know if you remember, but a few years ago I scored what I believe is a Fwt. stock, cut for a pad, for stupid cheap because it was not identified and marketed correctly. We had some PM's about it. I'm hanging onto it in hopes that someday I'll stumble onto a deal like the one you just did. That would have been the perfect deal for me, a good rifle in a "wrong" stock, for too cheap. And my first two choices would be .30-06 or .270, either one.
You still suck for finding that! mad Just kidding, of course.

Ha ha. Its all good my friend. I like weaver mounts on my savage rifles. The DD's have always lined up very well. I always say they are a snap to install, but then when i install a set i am reminded that they need to be aligned perfectly and that takes a few more steps than the weavers. I actually like weaver mounts and the myriad of ring styles you can use with them. I just like giving you a hard time about using them. Im actually waiting for 2 sets of weaver style rings to show up, so i can put a new nightforce on a sako.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Due to their design, DD's can easily be aligned in the horizontal plane. But if they are off in the vertical plane, you either live with it, or figure out how to fix it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Due to their design, DD's can easily be aligned in the horizontal plane. But if they are off in the vertical plane, you either live with it, or figure out how to fix it.

I've never had a problem with the DD's on pre 64's in that regard. The classics are a different story. I am just lucky I guess. However I have been quite impressed with how well the DD's line up. I know I've posted pics of the alignment bars I use and how perfectly the DD's line up on my pre 64's. I'm always baffled when someone says their DD's don't line up on a pre 64. They/pre 64's are machined very well and didn't come out of the factory with problems, like many of the new rifles you see these days.. Now, really old sporters sometimes show poor alignment and that's when I glass bed under the mounts. Here's one I did about 6 months ago on a BSA model E I recently bought. Yes, I'm using weaver mounts on this one. She's a great rifle:
[Linked Image]
You can see a slight line of bedding material under the bases. Rifle shoots great, as everything has been gone through, to make it shoot good/great. Those improvements include bedding scope mounts, glass bedding, new Timney trigger and a few other trick moves...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's being turned into a 308 Norma as we speak.....

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know you all are mostly talking about Pre 64 Winchesters, but talk about prices being low. A Classic Sporter in 270 Weatherby Magnum just went on gunbroker for $505.00. Somebody got them a good deal.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 07/21/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
I know you all are mostly talking about Pre 64 Winchesters, but talk about prices being low. A Classic Sporter in 270 Weatherby Magnum just went on gunbroker for $505.00. Somebody got them a good deal.

Holy chit, that's what im talking about

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If the .270 is gay, is the .270 WM extra gay, out of the closet gay, transgender, what?

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I'm actually a big fan of the .270.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I thought you hated .300 Magnums. But the .308 Norma is OK?
See what picking on me about Weavers gets you? whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The 308 Norma magnum is what the 300wm should have been.. Winchester had their head so far up their azzes back then. Oh well that's another thread subject...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If the .270 is gay, is the .270 WM extra gay, out of the closet gay, transgender, what?

That reads, you are gay.. Doesn't it.. grin whistle I guess that kind of chit is normal now.. Carry on... eek

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The 308 Norma magnum is what the 300wm should have been.. Winchester had their head so far up their azzes back then. Oh well that's another thread subject...

Cartridge design discussion can wait for another day. We once had a fairly long discussion wherein you said you didn't like .300 Magnums for the recoil. Which never did make sense to me, since you seem to like the .338 WM.

I think part of the issue was you did some shooting with a friend's "tanger" Ruger 77. Some say that stock is a kicker. Looking at the specs., it is hard to say why, but that stigma is out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

That reads, you are gay.. Doesn't it.. grin whistle I guess that kind of chit is normal now.. Carry on... eek

BSA, I'm crushed! Words matter, my friend. frown cry

Actually, I said IF the .270 was gay. Which of course it is not. It is a refined and wonderful cartridge appreciated by the cognoscenti, and the best sort of people. But you knew that. cool

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.