Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For the system tools, cleanup and general speed tweaks, I bought System Mechanic Pro. I find it MUCH better than CCleaner (which constantly bugged me with popups), and well worth the annual subscription.
I had CCleaner do that, after long use the nag screens seemed almost constant. Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to be giving some relief. It shouldn't but no longer being bombarded for now at least.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

D
D
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by NVhntr
My PC took a crap so I'm setting up a new one. I've been running Avast free version and it seems to work OK but I'm wondering if there is something better available? What do you like?
Avast, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky, etc.

One of the most highly-rated solutions can be had very cheaply: Bitdefender Total Security 2019 FIVE devices (Windows, Apple or Android) for one year for $US 22.95. LINK

The price at Dealarious is WAY below what Bitdefender charges, so I was suspicious and checked the company out first but it is the real deal and Bitdefender happily registered my purchase in both of the last two years. Only needed tech support once, and Bitdefender was fast and efficient at solving the problem.

LINK to a recent review of anti-malware programs

Now, I will just watch the thread for some MacMoron to post that they don't need antivirus so you should get a Mac. Bitdefender does a good job in catching phishing attacks on Macs among other threats.

John
EDITED TO ADD: If you see a counter counting down the time until the special deal expires, don't fret. It seems that there will be a new special deal with exactly the same numbers in a few days. Just marketing...

LOL at the MacMoron comment!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Use Vipre and Malawarebytes = no problems. Both are $ worth it.

That is a very interesting combination for me, are you affiliated with either of the product makers?

Do you find similarities or any special compatibility between the two?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Windows Security Essentials and free Avast will keep a PC clean and running.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
mcafee is the best...been using for year and i have it on every device....never an issue.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AVG free version is good. I current use PC MATIC SUPER SHIELD.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to use McAfee long, long ago before it became a virus and the program demanded that I use my computer the way McAfee thought I should use it. And the only way to completely uninstall it was to delete files manually and purge the registry manually. Any better now?

Like I said before, I'm using free AVG. So far nothing's gotten by it and it leaves me alone like it's not even there.

For some reason I'd like to smack that PCMatic guy across the face with a 2x4.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought the full AVG security suite.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was using Windows (now Linux), AVG free kept pestering me to upgrade to their paid version.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can turn that "feature" off as well as notifications every time it catches something.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Free Avast coupled with Spybot S&D has been my favorite combination for over a decade. The former takes care of viruses. The latter takes care of Internet-related stuff.

However, I also have to say that the best anti-virus solution I've found is to ditch Windows and go with Linux. It's free, it's easy, and it's wickedly fast. My favorite distribution is Ubuntu.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use the Windows defender and Malwarebytes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I used to use McAfee long, long ago before it became a virus and the program demanded that I use my computer the way McAfee thought I should use it. And the only way to completely uninstall it was to delete files manually and purge the registry manually. Any better now?

Like I said before, I'm using free AVG. So far nothing's gotten by it and it leaves me alone like it's not even there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh Though I'd recommend a shotgun. Actually was a good product when it first came out.

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've been using AVG for over 10 years now along with Windows Defender for anti-virus and Super AntiSpyware for malware. I used Malwarebytes for years too until after one of their updates few months back caused my computer to slow down loading pages noticeably so I uninstalled it. I haven't tried it again yet to check if they corrected whatever the issue was.Up until that happened I used both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware because what one missed the other would catch. That has happened number of times. Actually in my opinion SuperAntiSpyware does a more thorough 'deeper' scan and in the past has caught and removed stuff that apparently Malwarbytes didn't. So far - so good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by nighthawk

When installing Adobe Flash updates you have to be careful too as it will automatically install McAfee if you don't manually remove the check marks already in the "Accept" boxes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Apple

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...

is the ONLY thing Ive found that works, free, paid or otherwise.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

455 members (17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,698 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,713
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.