GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Shelby Foot who spent 20 years writing the "Civil War Series" said the only way to settle the issue of slavery was with armed conflict.

If you read that entire tome my hat is off to you, sir.

I couldn't hang but for about half of the first book. Great for insomnia.

Really? It's one of my favorites on the ACW. I still go back and retread it occasionally.
Not criticizing, just commenting because everyone I know who's read it agrees with me.
I've heard folks say "Bruce Catton set the standard, and Shelby Foote raised the standard"!
Who's your favorite?
7mm

Both were great writers and could really pull the reader into the war.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
@TEOTD 14AA41

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Why are southerners still hung up on the Civil War?

No disrespect intended.

Southerners are the only Americans here that have lost a war. We made an honest effort at independence and after one hell of a fight, got beat down pretty bad. Not only our military and government, but our civilian population as well and our economy ruined. There was no Marshall Plan for the rebuilding of the South. Quite the opposite with the Reconstruction Period. We were a defeated nation in 1865. Done. Over with. Then systematically kicked and robbed of what little was left for years later. That does not do much to encourage much brotherly love and heal old wounds. I think that pretty much sums it up.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Lincoln was a traitor.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

You all should be in Congress.

Just when I thought Congress could not get worse.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The south had the yankees on the ropes at Bull Run and didn't press their advantage. G H W Bush had the Iraquis in the same situation in the first gulf war and pulled the plug. Both of those situations were tactical blunders that cost huge numbers of lives in the long run and shaped the course of history, some of which is still happening. Patton wanted to re-arm the Germans and go after Russia. I wonder how that might have turned out?
Jerry

It is very easy to second guess what "might" have happened, be it a war, or anything else we're discussing. Had I bought a lottery ticket at the right time, I "might" be living on easy street. Had I been on a certain road at a certain time, I might have been in a wreck, and not be here today.

However, it's fun to speculate.

Had the south won the war they "might" look like Mexico today.

Or South Africa, or Haiti after their successful slave revolt in 1804.

Hardly...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by deflave

Had the south won the war they "might" look like Mexico today.

No "might" or "maybe" about it. They'd have been worse.

There were more millionaires in Mississippi than New York prior to 1865.
The South would have prospered had it remained free from the Federal Empire tyranny. Think Switzerland, Sweden, or Rhodesia prior to Mugabe

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Henryseale

No disrespect intended.

Southerners are the only Americans here that have lost a war. We made an honest effort at independence and after one hell of a fight, got beat down pretty bad. Not only our military and government, but our civilian population as well and our economy ruined. There was no Marshall Plan for the rebuilding of the South. Quite the opposite with the Reconstruction Period. We were a defeated nation in 1865. Done. Over with. Then systematically kicked and robbed of what little was left for years later. That does not do much to encourage much brotherly love and heal old wounds. I think that pretty much sums it up.

You sound like the Democrats after 2016.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tikka77
Lincoln was a traitor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cap...&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

And probably a Reprobated deviant.
Certainly a miscreant.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It was inevitable that somewhere along the way, the power that had been assumed by the federal government would be challenged. That's where the "Civil War" came from. The slavery issue is just the boogeyman that the federal government used to push the issue.

Good read on the matter.

http://www.sobran.com/articles/tyranny.shtml

excerpt: But reading it all is eye opening.

To sum up this little constitutional history. The history of the Constitution is the story of its inversion. The original understanding of the Constitution has been reversed. The Constitution creates a presumption against any power not plainly delegated to the federal government and a corresponding presumption in favor of the rights and powers of the states and the people. But we now have a sloppy presumption in favor of federal power. Most people assume the federal government can do anything it isn’t plainly forbidden to do.

Fantastic article...

Whatever happened to Sobran?
Ha!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by tikka77
Lincoln was a traitor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cap...&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

And probably a Reprobated deviant.
Certainly a miscreant.

Not surprise he was hiding under a shell himself, He was a twisted Medically and Psychologically sick dude.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari

No disrespect intended.

What's that supposed to mean? The question was asked and I answered it with an honest observation. I see no comparison with the DemocRATS and the 2016 election results. That's not an apples and oranges comparison. That's more like trying to compare watermelons and walnuts.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy to spot Yankees...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lincoln was one of those annoying pole smokers who started running for office in his early 20s and kept it up his entire life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There were more millionaires in Mississippi than New York prior to 1865.

....and also more slaves than there were free folks in that state.

Virtually every Southern politician for thirty years before the War of Secession was of the Plantation Aristocracy, making decisions for and about cotton.

The cotton gin and the steam engine doomed the South, the first for making slave-grown cotton a viable prospect and the second for powering the English textile mills that introduced machine-made cotton into what had been a world wearing homespun. Cheap, comfortable, durable and already pattered and decorated, a truely miracle product.

The South thought their virtual monopoly on raw cotton production would last forever, so much so they actually tried to pressure the British Empire into recognition of the Confederacy by withholding their own cotton exports.

England responded by growing their own cotton in India and Egypt, something which would prob’ly have happened eventually anyway.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So cotton was modern day oil, microsoft, Facebook, amazon...of sorts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Easy to spot Yankees...

You mean the victors, don't you?

Originally Posted by luv2safari

No disrespect intended.

What's that supposed to mean? The question was asked and I answered it with an honest observation. I see no comparison with the DemocRATS and the 2016 election results. That's not an apples and oranges comparison. That's more like trying to compare watermelons and walnuts.

It means I have no brotherly love for you or your griping about losing.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Griping about losing...

Look around...
You feel that the present state of federal tyranny and suffocating over reach is just fine by you?
Casual ambivalence in the face of such injustice and iniquity is no part of a southern man's ethic.
You mistake "griping" with white hot burning righteous indignation fueled by faith in God.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Griping about losing...

Look around...
You feel that the present state of federal tyranny and suffocating over reach is just fine by you?
Casual ambivalence in the face of such injustice and iniquity is no part of a southern man's ethic.
You mistake "griping" with white hot burning righteous indignation fueled by faith in God.

do you think things would be different today if the south would have won?...…..government is government …...bob

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.