Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Traveling food + Subway... It makes all the difference in the world to digestive tracts to NOT eat a bunch of crap if you are driving more than 10 hours... I make a 23 hour straight drive to the Dakotas every year and this is about all we eat both ways...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Allsup's Beef & Bean fried burritos!

With lots of picante sauce!

Yummmm!!!

Crack the window, though... grin

PS: Other good convenience stores may carry them as well... (but still, crack the window)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yummmm!!!

PS: Other good convenience stores may carry them as well... (but still, crack the window)

You must be popular in a crowded truck with other hunters...LOL

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you won't need to stop for gas for a long ways.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In the West, Maverik stations have the best road food. They actually cook most of it onsite rather than have it delivered. (Their jalapeno cheese bread is awesome.)

I do love little mom n' pop places, though. You can usually tell at a glance whether it's going to be clean and healthy the moment you step in. If it's near a normal meal time, look for service trucks in the parking lot. A cop car, a phone truck, a construction pickup or two. If the locals regularly eat there, it's probably going to be very good.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A sit down meal on the road makes me sleepy. For us, it's "Hurry up, and let's go". Coffee in a thermos, donuts in the morning, chips, and sandwich cold cuts, cheese for midday.

When we land, either microwave soup, or take out pizza.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We try to go on the cheap, and pack lots of snacks and finger food. Bathroom stops usually result in buying a burger or something. We just hit whatever chain outfit's convenient and fast. If it's a two day drive, we always look for a mom and pop greasy spoon for supper.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When driving east, this place is a tradition for lunch.

C & D Drive-In and Bakery

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I was impressed with the selection offered in New Zealand gas stations.

The pies and such were not home made, but they were local and good.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
beef jerky, corn nuts and bud light.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats good too.

When I am by myself thats how I travel....sans bud light of course......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I usually skip eating on long drives. Ain’t like sitting on your azz requires much in the way of calories.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gas station corn dogs, hot Cheetos, Mt. Dew, dill pickle sunflower seeds, more Mt Dew

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Caffeine and salt...two of the major food groups

Defend the Constitution
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Spinach salad @ Subway if I don’t pack.

I’ll feel better, though, if I pack veggies + hummus, hard boiled eggs, nuts, string cheese, & jerky. I need at least 1L of water per 300 miles.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
We road trip frequently, just returned yesterday from 12 days in Idaho via Montana. We avoid cities and prefer small town diners for breakfast, and dinner will usually be a roast chicken and veggie plate from a grocer or delivery in room. Jimmie Johns rules. Small town diners seem to be disappearing, replaced by Sonics and Chinese joints. We always have an ice chest w/ water, cheese and summer sausage. Mountain House turkey dinners or biscuits and gravy for emergencies.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I haven't met much for food I didn't like. I haven't eaten much of different cultural/regional foods that were all that bad. I will appropriate any cultural or regional food and eat it at home. That said, I find that travelling has given me some of the absolute best and worst stuff to eat I ever had, and introduced me to some of the nicest and nastiest people. Travel is an opportunity for finding something new and good to eat and I try to take full advantage of it. A person just has to be ready willing and able to write off the occasional meal to your education and go get something else. Common everyday stuff can often be so good you never forget it whether it's in a Michelin starred restaurant or a local mom and pop diner. Sometimes you find odd stuff that is just unbelievably good. I regularly co-opt cultural specialties into American standards like Japanese noodles in chicken soup. Mexican tequila in bacon. Bacon in Greek lentil soup. Chokecherry syrup on venison, etc. Mostly stuff I have run into on the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yummmm!!!

You must be popular in a crowded truck with other hunters...LOL

Allsup's Beef & Bean burritos requires a bag of Bugles and a Mt. Dew. Been eating those things for 60 years. Got to be a connection between Allsup's and long life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesReed
Well, I think, the airlines provide a lot of variants for traveling food. Even if you are going to Africa thanks to this, the food must be provided with the help of the company. If it is no time or opportunity, you can also take the food with you from your home. Or buy anything before the trip.

If you folks want to learn to recognize an auto posting bot here is a prime example. Collection of words sort of relevant to the thread, links. New poster. It’s other posts show the same trends. Highly likely not a real person.

On the topic at hand though! We really try and avoid chain restaurants when traveling and while the Yelp app isn’t terrible accurate for reviews, it is great for finding local places that are beyond the line of sight of the interstate. We found a deli/pizza place on the CT coast last summer that was amazing and it was just 2 miles off I95.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For vacation travel after a long day driving a sit down meal late in the day can make or break our outlook from the day.
It depends soooo much on where you are and what is available.

Recently noticed that if we are traveling, say a coastal area with nice motels, it makes sense to spend a little more on a great room with a view or water access and then just get take out to eat in the room. The cost evens out. Often we are tired after the days drive anyway.
That is not everyplace and sometimes that is reversed.
Some parts of the country are known for the food offerings but maybe not the accommodations (Texas, and inland Wisconsin and Minnesota come to mind). In places like that it is worth it to check TripAdvisor and seek out best food recommendations.

If I'm alone hunting Kansas, Oklahoma, NM, Colorado, then it depends on the town. A good meal after a tough day hunting is important. Some of those small towns there is no chance for that but there are a few hidden gems in some of those small towns.

Maybe one of the most amazing discoveries in the past few years - food trucks in the West Texas gas fields. Some good stuff there.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.