Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I drove to LA yesterday and was able to pick up my crates. Everyone involved on the American side has been wonderful (except USFW). The cargo company was helpful, even the forklift driver went out of his way to get it out to us as quick as possible. Coppersmith was great to work with. Everyone is expensive so plan on that if you bring stuff home.

As far as the trophies themselves, the cleaning process has removed all the color from the horns and most of the antelope have to have the horns re-installed to the skulls. The taxidermist here says that this is normala and the African taxidermist did a fantastic job on them. He was very impressed with the packaging and quality of work. I guess I will start restoring color and get them ready.

Round trip PHX-LA in one day is a lot of driving in traffic and I was beat when I got home. It is a relief to finally have everything!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis, glad you finally got everything home. Dont forget to post pics.....

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guy,

Have never had any problem with the PH at all. They don't make much, if any, money on the trophy prep/shipping.

Only planning to bring a little home doesn't really save much money. Typically there's a minimum charge for shipping ANYTHING to the U.S., because it has to crated up in a cargo box, and expediters like Coppersmith also charge a minimum fee. Both of those can grow with more stuff, but you're looking at a minimum of $1500+. If you go with a buddy who is willing to share shipping (both the container and costs) it can be cut in half, but in my experience the basic deal keeps growing, often with unexpected costs once everything gets here. Which is why I quit bring stuff back.

On the other hand, if you just want skulls, they're pretty much ready to put on the wall after the basic cleaning done by the safari company. Tanning hides, however, generally costs a lot--but you can buy already tanned hides of common animals for FAR less than the cost of tanning hides from the animals you take.\

Would be happy to discuss more details if you want to e-mail or call.

Both the shipper and Coppersmith told us that we could not share a crate. USFW rules I guess. Originally that's what we planned to do. Upon checkout, the PH told us they changed the rules. I was mad at the time as he had led us to believe we could ship our stuff today- take only the best stuff home. I guess they won't do it because if ONE person has an issue with one animal, it holds the whole shipment up.

I am scheduled to pick my stuff up Thursday in LA. We'll see how it goes.

I’m kind of dealing with a similar situation now. A buddy of mine and I went to SA in September. We were originally told by the outfitter we could ship the trophies together. Even got a quote for the, being shipped together for just under $1200. 11 animals total. Then was contacted and told they needed to be shipped separately and that the cost was going to be almost $900 a person. I had mine shipped into Dallas as I am using a taxidermist there who is willing to pick them up when they clear USFW (supposed to be this week). Besides the shipping having to be separate everything has went extremely smooth for both of us. My buddies was shipped to Houston as he is getting his tanned there and a buddy of his here in the Nola area is going to do his taxidermy work. We both used WELL worldwide logistics with superb results and they were the least expensive of the 3 I got quotes from. My taxidermist recommended Coppersmith but they were a couple hundred bucks more. All in all shipping was about $900 and clearing was about $550. Taxidermist is going to charge $2700 I believe for my animals. (4 animals as I only kept the tusks off of the warthog) by the time the taxidermy work is complete I will have spent almost the same on freight, clearing and taxidermy as I did on the rest of the trip.

Randall

Last edited by ShortMag11; 06/29/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Only thing I would have done different is have the capes tanned in Africa. They did a great job on the tanning of my buddy's capes. Only complaint is that I think they might have overdone it with the boiling but they do look amazingly clean. A little sealer and a little re-color of the horns and ready for the wall.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can’t say that I’ve had any issues shipping stuff home, but my shipment from last year was far more efficient than my one 8 years ago.

Having a taxidermist who is 20 minutes from the airport and USDA approved to clear primates and will handle clearing for you really helps on fees this side for sure!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.