Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a lot of experience trolling, but want to try my hand at it for walleye and Kokanee salmon.

A local benefit thrift store that often has really good stuff, has (2) rigs for sale. Abu Garcia Ambassador 6600 C4 reels, 8' Cabela's TSX medium rods, good looking line and a little rigging. Both appear to be in excellent condition. I can get them for ~$70 each. This strikes me as a good deal but I'm an admitted amateur. Thoughts?

Last edited by SockPuppet; 07/21/19.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bump

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Hi Sock,
Those reels alone are worth that and more. The one thing I believe these do not have is the line counter ability which is nice for relatability. If they have lead core they usually have different colors to represent length segments. I would jump on them.

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a good deal to me, the reels alone retail for a lot more than that.

https://www.tackledirect.com/abu-garcia-c4-6600-ambassadeur-c4-round-baitcasting-reel.html

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if line counters are offered on them, but these 2 do not have them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That's a very good deal and perfectly capable to use for trolling. Line counters reels do help out, but, IMO, nothing wrong with those set ups. I used 6500 C3's for Musky, bullet proof reels.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It’s a deal if they’re line counter reels. If you can’t tell how much line you have out, the reels are fairly useless for those two applications.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
That's a very good deal and perfectly capable to use for trolling. Line counters reels do help out, but, IMO, nothing wrong with those set ups. I used 6500 C3's for Musky, bullet proof reels.

That’s what I’d use them for as well.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You can get a rough idea of how much line you've got out like this:

Set your line all the way to 1 side of the spool. Have someone grab the line from the tip of the rod and walk out until the line is at the other end of the spool. Measure from the rod-tip to the person who walked out the line and you'll have a pretty good idea how much line goes out every time the line makes a trip across the spool. Not as precise as a line counter but gets a person in the ball-park. Sometimes you've just got to use what you've got...........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've never did that kind of trolling , why the big concern over how much line you have out ?

I have a G-Abu 6600 - very nice reel - great deal on those outfits.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I've never did that kind of trolling , why the big concern over how much line you have out ?

The amount of line you have out is one of the factors that determines the depth you’re running at.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Buy the reels , you don't need line counters. They are larger than needed for kokanne fishing, but good size for walleye. There are color section lines for distance that aren't leaded. Try down riggers for exact depth fishing. The best money spent on trolling is your down rigger. We fish 10 to 150 ft depths with down riggers, knowing where your gear is helps target your prey. Back to the reels get them both, they are rebuildable, quality reels.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I don't have a lot of experience trolling, but want to try my hand at it for walleye and Kokanee salmon.

A local benefit thrift store that often has really good stuff, has (2) rigs for sale. Abu Garcia Ambassador 6600 C4 reels, 8' Cabela's TSX medium rods, good looking line and a little rigging. Both appear to be in excellent condition. I can get them for ~$70 each. This strikes me as a good deal but I'm an admitted amateur. Thoughts?

I use a different thought process than most when it comes to trolling.....My preference is to use a regular spinning rod matched to the size fish I'm targeting along with downriggers....unless of course the fish are near the surface.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I use a different thought process than most when it comes to trolling.....My preference is to use a regular spinning rod matched to the size fish I'm targeting along with downriggers....unless of course the fish are near the surface.

I agree with matching reel size to fish size. My experience with spinning reels, they twist line and most have poor drags. There are some expensive spinning reels with quality drags, if you want to spend the money. To the OP read the Art of Trolling by Ken Shultz. Great information in his book. Kokannee , A Complete Fishing Guide, by Dave Biser. Both will answer most of your questions. Keep your line wet!

Last edited by Heym06; 07/21/19. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muskrat2090
Hi Sock,
Those reels alone are worth that and more. The one thing I believe these do not have is the line counter ability which is nice for relatability. If they have lead core they usually have different colors to represent length segments. I would jump on them.

Scott

Those are great reels. Snap them up. Learn the average of how much line that goes out on a pass across, then count passes like horse1 suggested. You don't need line counters. For Kokanee I like long limber rods. Eagle Claw makes an inexpensive Kokanee rod I find about perfect.

Those Cabela's rods should be about perfect for walleye, IMO.

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...e-claw-featherlight-casting-rod/p/p45092

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/21/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use line counters and Dipsy divers for trolling (no need for down riggers) and it works well but that sounds like a really good deal. As others have said you can buy line with multi colors on it so that you can gauge your depth, the color changes every 10 feet or something like that. They'll work for you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JTman
I use line counters and Dipsy divers for trolling (no need for down riggers) and it works well but that sounds like a really good deal. As others have said you can buy line with multi colors on it so that you can gauge your depth, the color changes every 10 feet or something like that. They'll work for you.

Dipsy divers put lots of load on your gear. You need to up size tackle to use them! Dipsy divers have their place, kokannee fishing isn't one of them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by ol_mike

The amount of line you have out is one of the factors that determines the depth you’re running at.

OK thanks figured it had to be something like that.

Downriggers get lost to big sharks around here , friend I fished with said it was big Makos that hit the planers.- mangle the whole setup .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've lost down rigger balls to the bottom, never to a fish or shark. Down riggers are not the answer to everything, they are a tool you need in your fishing tool box! Just like fly, spinning and bait casting rigs! If you don't have the correct tools your work(fishing) is limited! Not arguing just stating facts! Since I gave up guiding I fish less, but still keep up on new gear and technology! Keep your line wet! Bill.

Last edited by Heym06; 07/21/19. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never did much fresh water fishing. Always thought of the Ambassador type reels even the old 7000 as casting reels. I prefer a little stouter reel for trolling. I always used Penn reels for off shore trolling. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.