Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by JTman
I use line counters and Dipsy divers for trolling (no need for down riggers) and it works well but that sounds like a really good deal. As others have said you can buy line with multi colors on it so that you can gauge your depth, the color changes every 10 feet or something like that. They'll work for you.

Dipsy divers put lots of load on your gear. You need to up size tackle to use them! Dipsy divers have their place, kokannee fishing isn't one of them.

I use been using Okuma Magda 20DX reels (which are pretty cheap) and number 1 Dipsy's on Erie for walleye's for a few years without any tackle issues at all, but that's just me...

ETA: I know nothing about kokannee fishing so I'm sure you're right about their application there, I'm just relaying my experience.

Last edited by JTman; 07/21/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No question they're good reels and that's a good price. I used a Garcia for a trolling reel up until about ten years ago when I tried a Diawa line counter. Bought one the next day and am still using it. Diawa makes them in different sizes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I don't have a lot of experience trolling, but want to try my hand at it for walleye and Kokanee salmon.

A local benefit thrift store that often has really good stuff, has (2) rigs for sale. Abu Garcia Ambassador 6600 C4 reels, 8' Cabela's TSX medium rods, good looking line and a little rigging. Both appear to be in excellent condition. I can get them for ~$70 each. This strikes me as a good deal but I'm an admitted amateur. Thoughts?

pm dan degeoge

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Do you have downriggers?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never used them, but you can add a line counter to your rod.

https://smile.amazon.com/HERCHR-Por...qid=1563734753&s=gateway&sr=8-27

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heym06
Buy the reels , you don't need line counters. They are larger than needed for kokanne fishing, but good size for walleye. There are color section lines for distance that aren't leaded. Try down riggers for exact depth fishing. The best money spent on trolling is your down rigger. We fish 10 to 150 ft depths with down riggers, knowing where your gear is helps target your prey. Back to the reels get them both, they are rebuildable, quality reels.

This.

Buy them.

You don't need line counters; just strip off as much line as you need by hand.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems there is a lot more to this than I knew...but that's how it always begins. I don't have downriggers yet but they are on the list. I'm open to suggestions on that front, too. I really appreciate all of the other input, too.

I went ahead and snagged the rods/reels. $147 for the pair OTD struck me as a fine deal and a great way to get started.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say it is a good buy. I no longer fish for game fish but target commercial panfish here on Champlain. In the old days I owned a charter boat targeting walleye, lake trout and salmon. Downriggers gave me the depth and in the spring when I long lined in back of planer boards I let the line out and counted the swipes with the rod to give a general idea of how far back they were. On my charter boat I ran 4 Big John Electrics.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 07/21/19.

living the good life every day
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You did good by snagging those rods and reels SP.
A very good deal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, gents. These will be freshwater only for the foreseeable future. It looks like the colored line is in 20 ft. segments, does that seem right? I can measure later but that's my guess after spooling them out and snugging up the line.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Never did much fresh water fishing. Always thought of the Ambassador type reels even the old 7000 as casting reels. I prefer a little stouter reel for trolling. I always used Penn reels for off shore trolling. Hasbeen

Penn 320 & 330GTI's are Mainstays on the Chesapeake charter boats for trolling stripers. Even the old 209 & 309's are still on lots of boats. Old USA made ones on eBay go cheap.
Shimano tekota's are sweet too. I'm a fan of level wind reels for small to medium size game fish.
I like it to help count how much line I have out on different rigs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I still use 6500's for surf fishing on a few rods and on my couple muskie rods.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice tackle, at a good price. The line will usually have four colors, at 5ft per color then, start over for twenty foot sections. Some line makers do 10ft and 20ft of each color. Again good buy!

Last edited by Heym06; 07/21/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Down riggers are like Ford, Chevy threads. My experience says Cannon if going manual, and Scotty if going electric! That's just an opinion, you know what they say about opinions!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Heym, pretty sure anything I go with will be manual. My boat is pretty basic.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The upright spool on the cannon are easy to control. I see used ones for under a hundred, with ball and releases, in the adds and fishing forums! Those would be real nice with a custom Penn style single grip handle!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by walt501
I've never used them, but you can add a line counter to your rod.

https://smile.amazon.com/HERCHR-Por...qid=1563734753&s=gateway&sr=8-27

Yep. I would strongly suggest it.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks, gents. These will be freshwater only for the foreseeable future. It looks like the colored line is in 20 ft. segments, does that seem right? I can measure later but that's my guess after spooling them out and snugging up the line.

That looks like leadcore line. Depending on the weight you can control your depth. But, about 7’ down per color.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems there is a lot more to this than I knew...but that's how it always begins. I don't have downriggers yet but they are on the list. I'm open to suggestions on that front, too. I really appreciate all of the other input, too.

I went ahead and snagged the rods/reels. $147 for the pair OTD struck me as a fine deal and a great way to get started.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You suck...

Good snag!

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.