Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hey all,
I tested out my samples of 50 cal 320 grain Fury Muzzleloader Bulllets today, and wanted to post the results here.

First off, I'm running a TC Impact and hunt in Colorado so I need to shoot a full bore conical. I've had the muzzleloader for over a year and a half and have flat out struggled to get anything to group. Felt more like throwing darts than shooting a modern muzzleloader. I was initially drawn to Thors and FPBs, but they went all over the place. Quite by accident, I found that 320 gr TC Maxi Balls would work well, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of pure lead (though I know plenty of guys that go that route with no problem). After trying all sorts of various combinations of conicals, wads, patches, and powder weights, I stumbled onto Fury bullets.

I bought two custom sample kits so I had 4 each of .503", .504", and .505" to work with. The .503" were a snug fit, but certainly manageable. The .504" were too big for my barrel, so I could only test the .503". I was shooting at 50 yards with 100 grains of BH 209 and a dry .060" veggie wad.

First shot was centered and 2" high, the next three were all touching at 1.5" right and 5" high. Sweet! Couldn't be happier with that test run. I have 50 more on the way for more zeroing in, load optimization, and 100-150 yard range.

I could have pulled my first shot or had residual oil in the barrel. Maybe mine is one that is more consistent after a shot. More testing will tell. Also planning to shoot through some water jugs to see what expansion and weight retention look like. I'll post those results after I'm finished up.

GB1

C
OP Offline
C
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by COElkChaser; 07/05/19. Reason: More pics
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Never heard of those. Dont feel too bad. I have an Impact and can't find anything that shoots decent from one day to the next. I think I have my Encore figured out, , , , most days. I went and got a TC Hawken and it is much more consistent but only shoots round balls. I can't find anything for conicals that it likes.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Good deal on the Fury’s 👍

I did quite a bit of testing this last Winter with Different Bullets Through my 1:28 Twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel

These Speer Deep Curl’s Shot REALLY Good for me in my Rifle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They performed darn good in Solid Sand, and Pebble Rock
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
You would need to Knurl these up pretty good to Hold your Bore, These Deep Curl’s might not shoot as well for you because of that? It sounds like your Bore is .502

Last edited by Idaholewis; 07/05/19.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If that first shot was a clean barrel, disregard it. I always foul my barrel before anything counts.

You should slug your barrel and measure. Somewhere in the .503 area looks like. Then again, looks like you found your combo.

One thing I see lots of people do is not measure there barrel (slug it). I find you need that measurement first before you just buy just any bullet. No sense buying a small bullet in a large barrel...ect.

Next, some people like to push full bore conicals too fast. I didn't see where you mentioned powder and amount? But that is some fine shooting! Good job!!!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
320gr is right there with my .50cal REAL bullet weight. I wonder how they'd do in my 1:48 twist.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OK WTF! $6.00 for the sizing kit and I just got charged an extra $8 for shipping? wow, I am not happy right now. 6 bullets x 275gr each and $8 shipping? This can be shipped in a padded envelope for less than half that. Not cool!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
oh but if it were thors or powerbelts charging $8 to ship 6 bullets, holy [bleep] we'd hear wolves howling at the moon from you laugh laugh

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haven't heard of Furys....I do shoot Thor's though.

I built a halfstock flinter with a Green Mountain fast twist flinter barrel just to shoot a better bullet.

[Linked Image]

Super accurate for me.

[Linked Image]

The small groundhog was a lasered 87yds. I had to leave and figured I'd "unload my rifle". Had it zeroed at 50yds and wasn't sure what to expect trajectory wise so I put the sights at the base of his head. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a tail flickering.

[Linked Image]

Can't recall but I think that's the exit on a doe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wish my butcher saved the bullet ...it went in on the front of the left ham. Blew through everything and blew up the right shoulder and stopped in the neck/shoulder meat. Not too shabby for 100gr of black powder.

Not exactly cheap...but I don't shoot paper with them now that the rifle is zeroed aside from a sight check now and again.

I'm crazy impressed with the accuracy. I think a little more speed and you'd see some pretty impressive trauma and holes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

85 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,116 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,480
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.