-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Competition? Price structure? Low prices?
Try selling a barrel of crude oil.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Too cheap for the work it takes!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used to like to grow them just so i could go out into the garden a dig a pile up. but ya, hardly worth the effort. and truth be told, my never compared to good store bought.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Genesis 1:12 "And the earth brought forth grass, herb yielding seed after its kind, and tree bearing fruit, wherein is the seed thereof, after its kind; and God saw that it was good."

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]
I just can’t help myself!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I quit growing them when Coop quit selling Thiodan. I can't keep the damn tater bugs from eating them.

Get Potato Beatle Beater................it works.

Thanks. Never heard of it.

I've never tried growing red potatoes. I might plant a row next year and see what happens.

Damn! It's 20 bucks plus a can. I can buy a lot of taters for that.

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/20/19.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, according to the news thousands of farmers are flooded out to their north and east where there will be drastic decreases in corn production are prices are predicted to skyrocket.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
[Linked Image]
I just can’t help myself!

Very nice work, did you use some Kinda fertilizer ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I dug up about 30 pounds of Yukon Gold and Reds. I love growing them because I can put them in the ground early and enjoy watching all that biomass come up. Sure you can buy them, but I think mine taste better. I use raised beds. A 4x12 bed gave me 30 pounds, which is plenty for us. I really like digging them up. I don't use fertilizer in my beds, just home made compost and mulch. Most of it comes from my chicken coop. For me, it's not about saving money as much as growing and killing my own food.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We used to come home from Ag class and tell our folks all about cheaper goodies in the store than we could grow in that big ass garden out back.
They paid absolutely no attention to us. This was back in the 1950s.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
growing up we grew the kennebecs as the main crop and pontiacs as the early, small crop.

it was all work and no play. but the yield was always good after the tater beetles were controlled.

money wasn't a factor as how cheap they were in the local store. without money labor is the high king.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My store potatoes dont keep. Never know what I will find when I cut one either
I do like a good baked potato drowning in butter, chives, and sour cream

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Used 10-10-10 in bottom of rows before hilling them up. When I saw the first bloom I put out urea( 50+% nitrogen) and side dressed with hiller to give more growing room!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I grow my own because they're ten times better than the ones in the store... And they keep better too... I grow Kennebecs and either Pontiac or Norgold for early reds..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only grow weird varieties, the most common of what I grow in my little garden is Yukons. Otherwise it's purple potatoes or fingerlings. Bakers are just too cheap.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No potato bug problems around here, I grow my own with no chemicals used. I read a while ago that even potato farmers grow their own patch because they refuse to eat field potatoes with all the chemicals added...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew them for many years and had some good harvests. Suddenly I got infested with potato bugs and I found the only way to stay ahead of them was to pick the hard shelled breeder bugs off a couple times a day. Miss a day or two and then you are infested. Wasn't worth it and I never found anything that took care of them and was safe to use in the garden.

living the good life every day
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I planted 100 lbs 50lbs of Kenny back and 50 lbs of red Pontiac I’ve been eating taters for 2 months only real work is the hilling part I usually dig all them first of October and get 10 bushel way more than we can eat but plant the left overs next spring

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
dug up about 30 pounds of Yukon Gold and Reds. I love growing them because I can put them in the ground early and enjoy watching all that biomass come up. Sure you can buy them, but I think mine taste better. I use raised beds. A 4x12 bed gave me 30 pounds, which is plenty for us. I really like digging them up. I don't use fertilizer in my beds, just home made compost and mulch. Most of it comes from my chicken coop. For me, it's not about saving money as much as growing and killing my own food.

Yukon Golds are THE schitt. I love those things. Both them and the various reds do well in AK. Well, not so much in the cold, rain-soaked, salt-infused ground out here in Aleutian Hell, but up in the interior where you actually have a summer with 21hrs of sunlight they take off like a shot once they pop up through the ground.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in Palmer a couple of weeks ago you can watch the crops grow. Stayed there and came back a few days later. Crops were bigger. Enjoyed the visitor center too. Interesting history of the area. Had some Yukon gold hash browns from the garden this weekend. Damn good.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.