Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
My cousin is a AC Delco distributor. He’s says by them from a dealer who sells a lot of batteries. Get um fresh. Hasbeen

I worked for a place that sold over a million two units in the time I worked there, if that matters.

During some of that time Delphi still made batteries, but most of it Johnson Controls made AC Delco branded stuff, as the Delphi plants quit manufacturing; were talking around 20 years ago.

Working were I work now, I would rate many AC Delco branded products as moderately sulfated and discharged, which is pretty good as far as the industry is today...

Most OEM's are Johnson, and deservedly so. They have a handle on most OEM's and have [bleep] canned the replacement market in favor of being OEM for almost all manufacturers that sell in North America.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dale06

I have a car that I bought new just over years ago. It has the original battery and it seems to work just fine. But I’m thinking that it should be near end of life. I’ll keep the car 2-3 more years.
Any reason not to just go out and replace the battery now, rather than squeeze the last few month out of it?

My batteries last at least three years... keep driving unless you want to waste your cash.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HawkI
Ford alternators burn up because their charge voltages are too high (beyond 14 volts)....

FWIW, any car that sits beyond 30 days (modern) needs a re charge, at best.

Sitting beyond 30 days with modern vehicles for battery health is the equivalent of a knife in the sidewall of a tire

Agreed.

If you have something sitting that much, a battery tender gadget is the trick. I've kept boat batteries that sit a good bit for 10 years with one.

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A.html

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Here most batteries give up the ghost when winter hits, at least that is what my brother-in-law who does RACV callouts tells me...and each of mine that has gone did so in the cold months as well.

First time any of mine give even the barest hint of strife it is replaced...I also carry a Noco GB70 as a backup.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It would seem around here that most batteries "die" on the first decent hot day of spring. They somehow make it through our bitter winters, but on that first warm day, they won't work again.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I also carry a Noco GB70 as a backup.

What do you think of those units?

For those worried about being stranded, they seem to be a pretty good solution.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Gringo, you nailed it. The vehicle sits for days at a time and then is usually only driven a few minutes to the grocery store.

I should either take it out and drive it once in awhile for an extended time and or leave it on a slow charge over night.

I'd recommend getting a trickle charger. There are a couple, maybe several brands out there that will trickle charge and then tend the battery once full charge is achieved. Battery Tender is popular. I have a Battery MINDer. They are small and cheap enough you might consider mounting or stowing it under the hood someplace for convenience.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RJY66

What do you think of those units?

For those worried about being stranded, they seem to be a pretty good solution.

Seems fine, I have only used it to start a vehicle for a couple of Japanese tourists but it performed as advertised.

We pick up my wife's new vehicle in the next week and I plan on putting a Noco in it for emergencies...our daughter's vehicle already has one in it, she is probably the only Uni student in Victoria that carries a Noco in her vehicle, most don't even seem to carry tools or a spare.

And I will admit to cheating with my batteries as every twelve months or so I give them a hit with this wee item...seems to keep them in good condition.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It all depends on your needs IMHO. Mom is 84 and by herself. We replace a bit early. Especially if going into summer heat. Winters we dont' have down there.

OTOH our own, when we can afford to be dead on the side of the road or such, get replaced when they give a bad sign and are close to lifes end.

FWIW we have run Walmart batteries for years and years.. only once had a short lived one that was warrantied. Have had batteries in the diesel tractor from them that have lasted almost 10 years. My F350 diesel usually runs about 5 years which is life of battery.

The other thing about Walmart, you can almost always find one when out on the road if one dies....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I will admit to cheating with my batteries as every twelve months or so I give them a hit with this wee item...seems to keep them in good condition.
[Linked Image]

I use the CETEK all the time, in fact I have my Honda ATV & truck hooked up as we speak. Last Honda battery went 7 years, & no doubt could have went longer if I wouldn't have been so lax keeping it plugged in.

I have the next step up:

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-mus-4-3-test-and-charge

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In honor of my late father-in-law, I must point out that what we are discussing here is properly called a "batry".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Do you carry jumper cables anymore or are you good with the Noco?

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Do you carry jumper cables anymore or are you good with the Noco?

No longer even bother with cables, just carry the Noco.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Diehard Gold that I've been running for nearly 20 years. I top off the cells every fall and it cranks at -40 Below at long as the block heater is plugged in.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Some folks are just hard on batteries for some reason. My dad is always dicking around with them. Never can figure out what he dose to run em down. I haven't had to buy a new battery for a vehicle in quite some time.

Now a boat...that's a different story. lol

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Some folks are just hard on batteries for some reason. My dad is always dicking around with them. Never can figure out what he dose to run em down. I haven't had to buy a new battery for a vehicle in quite some time.

Now a boat...that's a different story. lol

One of those battery tender jrs. would be your best friend with the boat battery......or on any piece of equipment that sits for a while between runs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit.

^^^THIS^^^

Had 2012 GMC with all of the bells and whistles. It was about 3 or 4 years old. All of a sudden, it would be deader than dead. You'd have to keep the cables on it for about 15 minutes, then it would fire right up. It would be fine for several days or a week, then it would be dead again. Thought it was kind of an electronic problem and was going to take it to the dealer. One Saturday morning I went hunting. There was about a foot or so of snow on the ground. I go out and shoot a big ass 8 point. I got the deer out to the edge of the field. Go back to the truck, it start right up. I drive across the field and shut it off and load the deer up. Get back into the truck and the bastard was dead. Walked about 1/2 mile back to the barns and got the farm hand and he brought a tractor out there and had to keep it on the cables for about a 1/2 hour until it started. Went directly to the battery store that I use and they load tested it and found a dead cell. It would be fine one minute and dead the next.

My sense is there’s a low voltage shutoff on the newer GM trucks. The battery, isn’t completely dead, just below the threshold to trigger the ECM\BCM/etc.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit.

^^^THIS^^^

Had 2012 GMC with all of the bells and whistles. It was about 3 or 4 years old. All of a sudden, it would be deader than dead. You'd have to keep the cables on it for about 15 minutes, then it would fire right up. It would be fine for several days or a week, then it would be dead again. Thought it was kind of an electronic problem and was going to take it to the dealer. One Saturday morning I went hunting. There was about a foot or so of snow on the ground. I go out and shoot a big ass 8 point. I got the deer out to the edge of the field. Go back to the truck, it start right up. I drive across the field and shut it off and load the deer up. Get back into the truck and the bastard was dead. Walked about 1/2 mile back to the barns and got the farm hand and he brought a tractor out there and had to keep it on the cables for about a 1/2 hour until it started. Went directly to the battery store that I use and they load tested it and found a dead cell. It would be fine one minute and dead the next.

My sense is there’s a low voltage shutoff on the newer GM trucks. The battery, isn’t completely dead, just below the threshold to trigger the ECM\BCM/etc.

Yeah, and people jumping [bleep] when it should be on a charger (then verifying that charge with a hydrometer) might be the PRIMARY issue.

Again, hydrometers don't lie, alternators aren't chargers and unless they popped the caps and were above average in such matters, finding a dead cell with a load tester is a bit dubious....but getting a discharged battery to fail a load test is pretty much a new battery sale, even ones that may read 12.72 volts with a surface charge. Its no trick to take a battery with 1050 specific gravity and get it to 12.7 volts; the problem is it isn't charged. Only a specific gravity test will tell you if it is fully charged. Not an expensive charger gauge, not the gauge on your vehicle and not any tester with a voltage readout, period.

I'd also bet it was "tested" on a digital analyzer, not a carbon pile, neither of which are as infallible as a hydrometer test.

Midtronics or the most expensive Snap-On whatever aren't 1/10th as accurate as a carbon pile load tester with a nine dollar hydrometer test, because if you aren't testing the chemical, you aren't testing the battery. All modern testers do not test the chemical; they lie, aren't accurate and are designed to sell product.

"Fine one minute, dead the next" means the battery is discharged. Batteries with dead cells have 10.6 volts if all but one cell is fully activated, and no amount of jump starting surface "charge" makes that last a week, let alone a couple of hours......

If you find yourself jumping a battery, it needs to be charged and verified with a hydrometer. The alternator isn't going to recover it from totally discharged, even if the gauge reads as such....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.