Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had good luck with Nosler blems.I bought some 308 Hornady 150 grain SST blems and they are garbage.Discolored ,broken tips,weights are up to 10 grains off and shoot patterns in my rifle.In my opinion these should have been trashed rather than sold.Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 07/22/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree. Blems that are sold to the public should have cosmetic, not functional blems.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
In the 60's, Sierra had their factory about 15 miles east of Los Angles. On the street in front of the factory, they had a little old 2 bedroom house that was painted Sierra green that they used as their 2nds store. They were not called blems then. On the walls were 2x4 racks with with wooden bins with the bullets that were available, There were metal scopes and paper bags and you just filled the bags with the amount that you wanted. You could even mix the bullets in the same bag as every thing was 50 CENTS A POUND. There is a lot of 50gr 224 in a pound. I know a guy that has about 550lbs of 168gr 308 MK sitting in his garage. I ask his a couple yrs ago why he did not sell some of them and he said he might break out his NM M1 and go back into target shooting. He was 86 at the time. I called Berger a couple years ago about blems . With his nose up in the air the guy said that "BERGER DOSE NOT MAKE BLEMS" and I told him that my b*tt dose not stink also.

Jim Gibson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I bought several hundred 154 gr SST blems and they are almost identical to the first. The ONLY I could find wrong, outside of a few stains was the red tips were about 5-8 thousandths shorter than firsts. Weights of the blems were 153.6 to 154. I can tell no discernible difference in accuracy from the firsts..I will be buying more!!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
As I have commented to this subject, on other locations. I think that most of the blems that are for sale are not blems but bullets that are not moving so the seller take them out of the boxes puts them in a plastic bag and drops the price a couple dollars and sells then as if the buyers are getting a great deal. The seller is only making $7 not $9 but they are gone.

Jim Gibson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
In the 60's, Sierra had their factory about 15 miles east of Los Angles. On the street in front of the factory, they had a little old 2 bedroom house that was painted Sierra green that they used as their 2nds store. They were not called blems then. On the walls were 2x4 racks with with wooden bins with the bullets that were available, There were metal scopes and paper bags and you just filled the bags with the amount that you wanted.

Have you been to their factory which is now in Vandalia, MO? They have one area where they have their blems for sale and it is filled with 35(?) gallon drums, each one containing a different bullet type. You're not allowed to get your own any longer but an employee will get what you need. Some bullet types aren't priced all that cheaply, but you can find some deals depending on what you need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a guy that has about 550lbs of 168gr 308 MK sitting in his garage. I ask his a couple yrs ago why he did not sell some of them and he said he might break out his NM M1 and go back into target shooting. He was 86 at the time.

1. I'd be happy to see 86.
2. I hope I'm as cool as this old guy.

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jcon72
In the 60's, Sierra had their factory about 15 miles east of Los Angles. On the street in front of the factory, they had a little old 2 bedroom house that was painted Sierra green that they used as their 2nds store. They were not called blems then. On the walls were 2x4 racks with with wooden bins with the bullets that were available, There were metal scopes and paper bags and you just filled the bags with the amount that you wanted.

Have you been to their factory which is now in Vandalia, MO? They have one area where they have their blems for sale and it is filled with 35(?) gallon drums, each one containing a different bullet type. You're not allowed to get your own any longer but an employee will get what you need. Some bullet types aren't priced all that cheaply, but you can find some deals depending on what you need.

It's in Sedalia not Vandalia and the door to the outlet is on the west side of the building with a small parking area. When you open the door an alarm bell will sound letting the attendant know that a customer has entered. You can go to the Sierra website and check the outlet inventory with pricing... you purchase by the lb. . The factory is about 20 miles south of I-70 if anyone is traveling across MO. and is interested in stopping.

Starline Brass is next door to the east.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
SEveral years ago i did a tour at the Sierra factory in Sedalia. Friday afternoon. I was the entire tour group. the 40 minutes tour lasted 80 minutes. Very interesting stuff. Got an 'off the usual tour' look at their shooting range underneath the building.

The entire tour was very enjoyable/informative. After the tour i went to the 'seconds' place around the west side of the building.

As mentioned above.... an alarm sounded when i entered. The lady showed me a chart so i could order appropriately.

I was just completing the sporterization of an old Mauser in 7 x 57 so i ordered a pound of blemmed 140 gr Pro Hunter bullets, 7mm. That was supposed to be about 50 bullets.
The lady used that big scoop and weighed me out a pound of the Pro Hunters and told me that some of the bullets may be real rejects or otherwise unusable, so she was gonna give me a good measure which would have plenty of usable bullets. She poured in more bullets.

Out of that pound i paid for I found some empty jackets and some partly filled jackets. A few had extra lead protruding out of the tip. Those i trimmed down in my drill press chuck with a file. USed them working up a load. Those and all the rest I grouped by weight.

a few of the bullets were extra heavy. Some definitly light. The majority were very close to 140.0 grains... Mostly just a little light.
I threw out any bullets i thought were unusable.

the pound of bullets I paid for was not the 50 bullets their chart showed. There was 124 usable bullets. They shot well.

Have used some Nosler blems as well as the Sierra. Both were good enough for my purposes.

In general I am a Sierra fan and a Nosler fan. blems or not.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've bought blems at Sierra 2 or 3 times when I was near Sedalia, always thought they were a worthwhile. Not sure how many deer I've shot with their 150 Pro Hunters and 165 Game Kings but none failed me.

Once I bought some 40 gr .22 Blitz Kings, the young lady helping me warned me that quite a few of the plastic tips would be messed up and added some extra to the bag. She was right, about 75% were fine, maybe a little tarnish on the jacket. But there were some with poorly formed tips and some without any tip at all, just a giant hollow point - and one 50 gr BK in the bag. I clipped the mall-formed tips off even with the jacket mouth and used them and the HP's for practice; darned things still shot great.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
FYI:
Nosler sells all their blems, over-runs, brass and loaded ammo exclusively through the Shooters Pro Shop.com website. No need to be a lucky duck that lives across the street. You're good to go as long as you have a USA shipping address, (to comply with federal laws.) Sign up for their email offers.

"Factory Blemished (2nds)
Shooters Pro Shop is the only authorized dealer of Nosler Factory Seconds / Blemished Products. Discounted Factory Ammunition, Bullets, and Nosler Brass with minor cosmetic defects. The defects include: Minor discoloration / oxidation of product or scratches on product. These blemishes will not affect performance."

Last edited by onefunzr2; 08/02/20. Reason: addition

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 13 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.