Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]
This is my neighbor. I live on top of the mountain, this house is down in the valley. This house was just built a few months ago.
There is no room in the tiny yard for a septic tank, plus, there is a creek 15 feet from the house on the right side.

[Linked Image]
They had to install a complicated septic tank system.

[Linked Image]
In the background is a typical 1,000 gallon concrete septic tank. But, in the foreground, is a two-chamber, 1,500 gallon tank.

[Linked Image]
Here the typical 1,000 gallon tank is in the foreground, the two chambered 1,500 gallon tank is in the background.
The sewage goes into the 1,000 gallon tank. Then the overflow goes into the first chamber of the big tank. There is a pump in there, which pumps the liquid sewage uphill 100 feet to a plastic tank buried in the ground.
Then the sewage flows back downhill into the large chamber of the big tank. And then, another electric pump sends the waste, back uphill.

These guys had a hand held Ditch Witch, never seen such a thing. A big Makita chain saw motor, with a bar about 3 feet long with little bitty ditch witch teeth on it. They got up there on the mountain and made 500 feet of ditches, which were just 6 inches deep! These ditches are about 120 feet up the mountain side. Very steep hill about a 70 degree slope. And they ran 500 feet of plastic pipe into those ditches.

Complicated! I have a traditional septic tank so this thing is very very complicated to me. The company that is installing it drove down 90 miles from Lenoir NC. They told me that the cost to the home owner is $40,000.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not uncommon for people to buy without full knowledge of what they're getting into.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All that and the fugger RIGHT DEFUQ on the road.

Jesus also said, never build within beer bottle range of the white line.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pumping crap uphill is never a good idea

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I'll bet that 3/4 of the basement bathrooms in the country have sump pumps.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's not uncommon for people to buy without full knowledge of what they're getting into.

Or they knew full well the requirements and had decided it was still worth the investment.

Believe it or not, some folks do their homework.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sump pump or grinder/lift pump ?

Last edited by WeimsnKs; 07/22/19.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You mean macerator pumps? Anyone I know that has had a new house built with a basement in the last 30 years has toilet pre plumbed . I would not even bother to retrofit a house otherwise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a contractor (a particular one that was notoriously a wise ass) call my office one day.

He wanted to me to give him the stationing for his sewer service off of the manhole. He had spent the last several weeks building one of his cookie cutter spec homes and had apparently assumed that the manhole out front was sanitary sewer.

I had the pleasure of letting him know that there was an air relief valve inside that manhole. Hahahaha

The guy was in a panic, I chuckled at I hung up the phone. Went and shared that with a couple of my civils. Got a high five from the chief for the laughs.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Modular home salesman told me that more than once they had delivered a unit onto a small piece of prairie and were then asked, "Now where do I get my utilities?"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An E-ONE grinder is about $9,000 just for the unit. Add another $3-5k for the plumber, the electrician, the inspector, the permits.

I wouldn't get any other mickey mouse home depot bullshît.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I moved up here 23 years ago. At that time, on this lot where this house is, there was a really old, ugly, pink house trailer. Like what you would have seen in a trailer park in 1960. Twelve foot wide and about 45 feet long.
Nobody lived there, but about once a year, I would see some people on the porch, I guess they came up from out of town for a little vacation. It is right across the road from the French Broad River.

This guy bought this place a year ago, and he told me his plan was to just fix up the old pink trailer. Remodel it. And, he said, the old trailer had a sh*t-rigged septic tank, he was just going to continue using the old POS septic system.
But, when he got into fixing up the old trailer he discovered it was all infested with bugs and rats and not worth the trouble. So they took the metal of the trailer to be recycled. And they built this house.

This house is a "tiny house." I would say it is about 500 square feet, it is built by this outfit. nanostead.com
It is a very well built house. Very expensive no doubt.

So, once the guy had to demo the old trailer, he had to get a new building permit, it was Auf Wiedersehen to the old septic, and he had to do this uphill pump septic system. I heard that the guy had tried to just sneak this house in without a permit or modification of the septic, but since it is right on the road he got caught by the inspector.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We just bought a lake front camp in Western MA and are getting a AI septic that will likely be in the $40-$50K range, high ground water level, hard pack with poor perk test. We knew what we were getting into and negotiated the price of septic off the sale price. The properties on both sides of us have had somewhat similar systems one running since 1999, the other running since 1995. If you want waterfront probably 90% of the lots around here are going to need a similar system.

Mass Law requires a septic inspection at time of sale and near the water and in the Berkshires where soils are thin and poorly drained, many older systems will fail and require replacement and with the slope and soils a conventional system isn't an option.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I moved up here 23 years ago. At that time, on this lot where this house is, there was a really old, ugly, pink house trailer. Like what you would have seen in a trailer park in 1960. Twelve foot wide and about 45 feet long.
Nobody lived there, but about once a year, I would see some people on the porch, I guess they came up from out of town for a little vacation. It is right across the road from the French Broad River.

This guy bought this place a year ago, and he told me his plan was to just fix up the old pink trailer. Remodel it. And, he said, the old trailer had a sh*t-rigged septic tank, he was just going to continue using the old POS septic system.
But, when he got into fixing up the old trailer he discovered it was all infested with bugs and rats and not worth the trouble. So they took the metal of the trailer to be recycled. And they built this house.

This house is a "tiny house." I would say it is about 500 square feet, it is built by this outfit. nanostead.com
It is a very well built house. Very expensive no doubt.

So, once the guy had to demo the old trailer, he had to get a new building permit, it was Auf Wiedersehen to the old septic, and he had to do this uphill pump septic system. I heard that the guy had tried to just sneak this house in without a permit or modification of the septic, but since it is right on the road he got caught by the inspector.

200-300 per sq foot , HOLY COW WTF are they thinking?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know exactly where this house is. I was wondering where the septic would go due to the location.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not bad at all.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Why not? We all do it every election.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What has he got in it and what would it sell for? I'm betting neighbor has lost his arse bigly on this one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
All that and the fugger RIGHT DEFUQ on the road.

Jesus also said, never build within beer bottle range of the white line.

Which Bible version did you find this gem in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.