Print Thread
Hop To
L
lvmiker Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife fell while hiking in Idaho on 7/14/19 and fractured her L. kneecap. The ER Doc placed it in a splint and told us to see the surgeon who did her TKR in Dec. After an interesting drive home we finally got an appt. for Wednesday 7/24.

My question is for those that have had a fractured patella repaired as to methods and results and recovery time. The Dr. in Idaho did not think there was any damage other than the patella and pain and swelling has been minimal. All info will be appreciated.

thanks

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hate to hear that about her.

I wish her the quickest recovery.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had hair line cracks in both of mine during basic training... it hurt like a SOB

no surgery needed as they healed on their own...

I am sure she isn't an 18 year old, otherwise immobilize and they would heal on their own...

it just takes a lot longer when we get older...

much like any other broken bone...

depending on her age... surgery and prosthesis, but it doesn't sound that serious the way you described it.

its only 'serious' for the one that has to endure the pain...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Broke/fractured my left patella when I was 18. No doctor visit or pain killers other than aspirin. Hurt a lot and swelled up for several days. Wrapped it with an ACE bandage and carried on. No other lingering effects. BUT, that was almost 50 year years ago for me. I'd be headed to the doctor with your bride's situation . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The fx. is total w/ several cm. of separation. The Patella is bisected laterally w/ pretty clean edges. Hope she recovers before hunting season, she would rather pull a sled than ride in one.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Is it the knee she had the TKR on? If so, there's probably a piece glued to the underside of the patella. That could complicate things.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes Bob it is. I do believe there was a surface applied to the underside, I am anticipating a surgical repair but do not know what state of the art is now. Her surgeon did an excellent job on both knees and she recovered w/out complications.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeez Mike, that sucks for her.

I had an ice skating/hockey instructor in college 40 years ago with no kneecaps. Shattered both in a fall and they were removed. He still managed to skate afterwards. Not sure how that will work with your wife's situation. Seems there's some artificial ones available, not sure if they'd work for your wife. Surgeon will likely know.

I do know, as your wife likely does, after having TKR on my right knee in March that there will be some recovery time if she goes under the knife again. From your posts, I know you folks are active and likely she'll get right on the PT after any procedure. Not sure when your seasons start there in NV, what tags you drew etc, but hopefully she'll be able to at least do some hiking before the seasons start.

Wishing her the best outcome possible.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great name for a band.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Yes Bob it is. I do believe there was a surface applied to the underside, I am anticipating a surgical repair but do not know what state of the art is now. Her surgeon did an excellent job on both knees and she recovered w/out complications.

mike r

What they did, at least on my understanding from my surgeon (TKR 10/29/2018) is they will resurface the undeside of the patella, depending on what the damage is, they just glue an insert there, that's what I have. So a cracked patella could effect that, that might just suck for fixing if that implant is damaged.

Wishing her the best!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At least with my TKA there are two ‘pins ‘ in the patellar plate to help it with the cement. I wonder if that created a stress plane along which the patella fractured.

My daughter suffered a fx patella and it was repaired w screws, which were subsequently removed. The removal is not as big a deal as the repair.

Sounds like y’all have a good orthopod. Luck to her.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure sorry to hear about her injury, Mike. Here's hoping for a simple and fast repair and recovery.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sorry to hear that, mine is swelling some under my left kneecap sometimes, beginning to annoy me.

I hope she makes a full recovery!!!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Fractured left patella in 89. It healed and surgeon cleaned out the anterior of the patella. Took a couple of years for it to be good. Love to hike and it’s mostly pain free except for my back and neck.
Do physical therapy, that helps immensely

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The thing to worry about is infection from more surgery. A joint with implants is always at a higher risk than one without. Only by seeing the xrays would anybody be able to tell the extent of involvement of the patellar implant. Their are several approaches to repairing the fracture, depending on the fracture. The implant may be loose from the fracture. Your orthopedic surgeon will have a better answer for you. Recovery time will vary, due to the extent of the surgery and your wife's health.
Remember : rest, ice, elevation and tylenol.
Good luck,
Tom

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a bat do in my left knee cap back in high school.

The Air Force docs just wrapped it good and said time would do a better job than they could.

This was back in 66.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.