Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm always hesitant to recommend a Co-Ax to a beginner because getting advice and assistance from others on-line can be dicey because of the differences.

In the case of a guy who already knows his way around a loading bench, I say "go for it." There may be a few things that you can't do on a Co-Ax (such as use a grip-n-pull bullet puller or certain stuck case removers), but those things sure won't stop me. There are other ways to handle those situations. The conveniences of the Co-Ax are many. About the only thing I do not like about it is having to reverse the shell holder jaws for smaller cases.

One other thing to think about is the cost of Forster die lock rings. In my opinion, they're the way to go with this press, but they're not cheap at about $4 a pop (I've bought about 70 of these things over the years myself). If you have 30 or 40 die sets it could get awfully expensive. Some think other lock rings are as good if not better for this press, but I disagree. YMMV.

What Riverrider said.

It’s an excellent design. Over-kill for non-longrange/BR, perhaps, but hey. Who doesn’t like sportscars?

The 3-n-1 trimmer is nice if you make a lot of something. Trimming, chamfer, deburring 1000 hornet cases is not humane. With the 3-n-1, it’s tolerable.

About powder measures you mentioned. I just put the stand maybe 18-24” to my right, and shuffle reloading blocks accordingly so am always working from one block, to another block. That’s the only down-side IMO, moving in/out of the press constantly, but true of any single stage press. For stuff that has no hope of being terribly accurate anyway, and doesn’t need a lot of mechanical leverage, i use a redding t7 simply for less brass handling in/out. Co-Ax is still king, though.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
I'm always hesitant to recommend a Co-Ax to a beginner because getting advice and assistance from others on-line can be dicey because of the differences.

In the case of a guy who already knows his way around a loading bench, I say "go for it." There may be a few things that you can't do on a Co-Ax (such as use a grip-n-pull bullet puller or certain stuck case removers), but those things sure won't stop me. There are other ways to handle those situations. The conveniences of the Co-Ax are many. About the only thing I do not like about it is having to reverse the shell holder jaws for smaller cases.

One other thing to think about is the cost of Forster die lock rings. In my opinion, they're the way to go with this press, but they're not cheap at about $4 a pop (I've bought about 70 of these things over the years myself). If you have 30 or 40 die sets it could get awfully expensive. Some think other lock rings are as good if not better for this press, but I disagree. YMMV.

RiverRider,

Midway USA has a kit to swap the Forster COAX from the universal setup to a shell holder setup. If I remember correctly it was around $30. I got this setup for my COAX and it's best of both worlds now.

Trystan

I have it too. Don't care for it much.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have all RCBS, except a few Redding dies

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Co-Ax is an excellent design, but have tried it and much prefer a good turret press.

I can put dies for at least 3 cartridges in a good turret press, which is handy for for me since I'm often loading for several cartridges at once. Which is why I have three turret presses, two Redding T7's and one of the new Lyman 8-hole presses.

But if you don't load for so many different rounds, or experiment so much, the Co-Ax works great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy the Co-ax.

Really. Don’t even think twice.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Trystan

RiverRider,

Midway USA has a kit to swap the Forster COAX from the universal setup to a shell holder setup. If I remember correctly it was around $30. I got this setup for my COAX and it's best of both worlds now.

Trystan

I have it too. Don't care for it much.

The shell holder adapter plate is handy when you need to use a shortened shell holder, because a die is too long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Buy the Co-ax.

He did several hours ago.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Agreed. Love the Co-Ax press.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only thing I’ll add is Forster’s universal shell holder with the Manzgear upgrade kit is the hell for stout if you run lots of large cases.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KingCobb
I won't be reloading tons of rifle ammo like I do pistol, but 50 or so rounds to a session is likely. Maybe 100 rds. Who knows I love shooting my new M71 in 348 so I could reload more.

The ChargeMaster is pretty handy. I upgraded to an A&D Fx120i and Auto Trickle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KingCobb
Well I managed to find one for sale so I ordered it. Should be interesting to try.

The other thing I am having to figure our moving to rifles is case trimming. Never had to do that with pistol ammo.

Forster sells a variety of trimmers but I don't know if they are worth it or something else. They sell something called the tri trim but don't know how it is all that different.

Also, how do yall handle powder with this type of press? Measure individually or use a drop scale?

I have a powder measure arm on my InLine Fabrication mount. But I use a lot of Ramshot powder.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 07/20/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have my stuff mounted on heavy duty brackets made from aluminum angle. It drops into any one of the numerous vises around the shop.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hornady lock rings also fit the CoAx press. Larry has Forster lock rings on sale occasionally too.

You guys are too neat, must let your significant others in to clean or have other anal tendencies.

[Linked Image]

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Co-Ax is an excellent design, but have tried it and much prefer a good turret press.

I can put dies for at least 3 cartridges in a good turret press, which is handy for for me since I'm often loading for several cartridges at once. Which is why I have three turret presses, two Redding T7's and one of the new Lyman 8-hole presses.

But if you don't load for so many different rounds, or experiment so much, the Co-Ax works great.

An eight legged mule deer with four brains you must be if you can load for several cartridges at once.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Foster Co-Ax is back ordered at most stores, what is the story on the Frankford Arsenal Single Stage reloading press?

Ted
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
recoiljunky,

Loading for several cartridges at once has been pretty much normal here for a number of years now! However, that just means I have several sets of dies in the turret press. I load for one of the cartridges until all its planned loading is done, then start on the next one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For that price I would get one of these.http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrells-tooling-turret-press-by-henry-harrell
I would get the magnum version as the standard is geared for 308 size cases. These would be all anyone would need unless they do a lot of bullets waging and case forming.
I have used several RCBS presses some Lees and tried others and if I ever upgrade it will be to the Harrell. The Redding and Lyman turrets are good to and die holders are more available at local outlets.

I have RCBS, Forster and and Redding trimmers but I find myself mostly using the Lee trimmers in a portable drill. The tri cut on a dedicated unit like the Frankfort would be a time saver.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by old_willys
The Foster Co-Ax is back ordered at most stores, what is the story on the Frankford Arsenal Single Stage reloading press?

If you are interested in a Co-Ax, I just confirmation that the one I ordered form Schells just shipped and the guy on the phone said they had several in stock.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Love my RCBS Rockchucker.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.