D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve taken two with a bow.
Are they a horse or some other family?
Someone told me they come from the ass family.

NRA Patron
GB1

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Family Equidae Genus Equs so the same family and genus as the horse and tthe donkey.

The burchells and Hartman’s are supposedly more horse like and the grevys more ass like.

Hopefully someone much wiser than me will chip in.

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks GRF.
They sure are smart critters.
Got one in Zim and one in SA.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They can interbreed with both horses and donkeys so the genetics have to be close. This only happens in captivity and I think the resulting crosses are not fertile but not sure of that.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

All I can say is that fillet of Zebra is my favorite. A close second is wildebeest burgers with “chips”. Then there is buffalo fillet and wart hog, oh my.

Last edited by RinB; 06/18/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Zebra are very wary. They caused me some extra miles when stalking other critters. Always made big detours around the zebra lest they spook everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB

All I can say is that fillet of Zebra is my favorite. A close second is wildebeest burgers with “chips”. Then there is buffalo fillet and wart hog, oh my.

We had Zebra fillet a couple weeks ago in Namibia and I can tell you I was a little apprehensive.

I can also tell you it was outstanding. We asked for more during the week. They also had a Zebra salami that was great.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We ate some of a zebra I arrowed in SA. It was excellent.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is outstanding table fare for sure, and like wage i was apprehensive. It took me all day, and 9 miles of stalking in the mountains to finally kill one. They are truly very cagey and wild. Did I ever tell you guys I hate baboons?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horse meat is commonly consumed in parts of Europe and Asia.

This guy watches over me in my home office. I killed him in Tanzania. Note, no shadow stripes.

[Linked Image]

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 06/18/19.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife and I have each taken Hartmans and I thought they were delicious..You eat in Africa,you will eat everything...They mostly sell cattle to others.;...One of the smartest and hardest to take animals there along with an old baboon..

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love Zebra hunting. Took a Hartmann's in Namibia and Burchell's in Zambia.

Fantastic table fare and challenging to hunt.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RinB

It was my favorite as well!!!!!!!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed hunting Zebra so much on my first safari that I spent the better part of two days chasing them and took three.

I head out in less than three weeks for Zim and if I get an opportunity on a big stallion without shadow stripes I suspect I will be hunting Zebra again!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah..zebra will almost always make a good hunt...and they are amongst the tastiest of critters!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tom,

As you know there is nothing quite like hunting Hartmann’s zebra in the mountains of Namibia. They are tasty and darn pretty critters too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They can be a bore, a nuisance when they blow your stalk, or a challenge, I like the last best. I shared my Hartmans with some cheetahs destined for relocation and felt good about that. I wished I could bring the biltong back with out the major hassles. I believe their closest relative is the Onanger which is right between an ass and a horse. There have been some efforts to re-breed the Onanger and I think they have have had some success by back crossing zebras, horses and donkeys.

The Boer settlers let their donkeys and horses interbreed with zebra to increase disease resistance. I am not sure how many of this lineage have survived. But I have seen some very stocky ponies that may have a mixed heritage.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
Tom,

As you know there is nothing quite like hunting Hartmann’s zebra in the mountains of Namibia. They are tasty and darn pretty critters too.

[Linked Image]

PERFECT shot placement Ed!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My South African PH friend Keith Gradwell calls that the "sergeant's stripes" placement, which is what he advises for any zebra standing near broadside. We have a couple of zebra hides in the house with holes right there.

This was a Burchell's from Tanzania, shot at around 100 yards with a 286 Partition from a 9.3x62. The stallion is plenty dead (it collapsed after 25 yards) but the pressure on the body kept pushing blood out the entrance hole for at least a couple minutes.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Youse guys are weird!

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.