Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah!

But quite a few PH's have found some clients, who are otherwise good game shots, don't shoot well on zebras. One guess is the stripes confuse the aiming point, which is why Keith Gradwell's description of where to hold is so effective.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
PERFECT shot placement Ed!

Remind us where you hit yours.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike

Remind us where you hit yours.

Which one?

One was heart shot...one was shot-shall we say- longitudinally.....

Thank the lucky stars for 175 gr NPT in a 7x57!

Last edited by ingwe; 07/24/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You know which one...the one that immortalized you in John's writing!

Those heavy-for-caliber NPTs just loping along are something else.

Last edited by RevMike; 07/24/19.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...and oddly enough I didn't shoot that one with your gun..I was using a borrowed 1909 Argentine custom...iron sights...which is kinda why I missed my mark by a couple inches on a quartering away 140 yard shot...it still worked though! Thanks again to great bullets!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah...and oddly enough I didn't shoot that one with your gun..I was using a borrowed 1909 Argentine custom...iron sights...which is kinda why I missed my mark by a couple inches on a quartering away 140 yard shot...it still worked though! Thanks again to great bullets!

I've seen pictures of that rifle. Outstanding!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want to see a zebra hit right and proper, look on youtube for "Black powder zebra Kill" and see how a 45-70 Sharps and iron barrel sights works at 161 yards. A 480 grain flat nosed cast bullet pushed to 1242 fps by black powder does the deed. Aimed at the chevron and took out the top of the heart and bottom of the lungs.Works for me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good shot!

But it has all the signs of at least hitting a little of the spinal column, including the hind legs going down first. The spine dips down quite a ways between the shoulders on a lot of African game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That is a very interesting picture John. I actually hit my broadside Burchell’s right at the apex of the chevron — right on the peak of the “^”, very, very close to that entrance you show on that stallion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did you look the ground over very carefully before you sat down on that pile of rocks?

And the Z was one of the PG I did not taste while over there. I would admit to bias against it if I knew before-hand what I was served.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Tom,

As you know there is nothing quite like hunting Hartmann’s zebra in the mountains of Namibia. They are tasty and darn pretty critters too.

[Linked Image]

Exactly what my tracker said Tom.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Did you look the ground over very carefully before you sat down on that pile of rocks?

And the Z was one of the PG I did not taste while over there. I would admit to bias against it if I knew before-hand what I was served.

Nope. I was about exhausted and just sat. My wife watched from a ridge over then joined.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My South African PH friend Keith Gradwell calls that the "sergeant's stripes" placement, which is what he advises for any zebra standing near broadside. We have a couple of zebra hides in the house with holes right there.

[Linked Image]

On a Hartmanns I was advised of the same as a hole in the stripe does not show on a rug as much. It resulted in a double shoulder shot and the old stallion made no more tracks. He was a battled scarred old stud and I don't regret taking him, scars were from other zebra and lions too. The scars remind me that there are still wild and wonderful places.

It is interesting that there are hybrids of the Zebra species and some like Hartmann/Burchell crosses have errant stripes. Still the epaulet stripe is a good target.

The striping is a very effective form of camouflage contrary to appearances. From a distance they morph into the heat waves. In thorn brush they disappear. Up close and in a herd it is like the "Dazzle Camouflage" for ships the disruptive pattern confuses the predators. The dazzle pattern was not used much in WWII but no ship painted with such was ever hit by a torpedo. Teddy Roosevelt wrote some interesting observations on zebras and their coloration. To sentimentalist that think I have shot cute horses just means they have never observed them in the wild. They are nasty, aggressive and quarrelsome, and the males fight constantly, but beautiful by any standard.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tejano
They can be a bore, a nuisance when they blow your stalk, or a challenge, I like the last best. I shared my Hartmans with some cheetahs destined for relocation and felt good about that. I wished I could bring the biltong back with out the major hassles. I believe their closest relative is the Onanger which is right between an ass and a horse. There have been some efforts to re-breed the Onanger and I think they have have had some success by back crossing zebras, horses and donkeys.

The Boer settlers let their donkeys and horses interbreed with zebra to increase disease resistance. I am not sure how many of this lineage have survived. But I have seen some very stocky ponies that may have a mixed heritage.

A cheetah was identified as a problem animal by a nearby farmer having 4 goats dead. We found this this one in Namibia in 2018 glassing for gemsbock from above and followed him for an hour or so. Reached him about snoozing under a tree at 35 yards with only his head showing. A shot below from my FN Mauser 30-06 worked.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's my Hartmann's Mtn. Zebra, taken in the dry, arid mountains of Namibia. Rifle is my .300 Weatherby, with 200 gr. Swift A-Frames. Mother Nature provided the perfect aiming point for these critters, right at the top of the chevron on the shoulder, Hit mine there, and he went straight down, and stayed there.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by GRF
Family Equidae Genus Equs so the same family and genus as the horse and tthe donkey.

The burchells and Hartman’s are supposedly more horse like and the grevys more ass like.

Hopefully someone much wiser than me will chip in.

This is correct. The Grevys is an ass. They are also much bigger than a Burchells. Once you see a Grevys in real life you’ll forever call the other zebras “ponies” because they will look awfully small in comparison. Male Grevys can almost hit 1000 lbs, whereas a Burchells will be 500-550 or so. They are remarkable to see in the wild partly because of where you see them. I saw them in the NFD of Kenya.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, yeah!

But quite a few PH's have found some clients, who are otherwise good game shots, don't shoot well on zebras. One guess is the stripes confuse the aiming point, which is why Keith Gradwell's description of where to hold is so effective.

John, Not just on zebra, but generally on my first trip, I found my personal computer between my ears was working overtime. While I had practiced from sticks, I hadn't practiced enough. Also the bamboo sticks that the outfitter used didn't work well for me and my rifle. The other thing was I have spent 30 years using the MPBR sight in. It works for me. The outfitter wanted me to be about an inch high at 100. It screwed me up. I was trying to out think myself all the time on the trajectory. Also, my rifles always wear a Harris bipod.

The last trip, I told the outfitter I would not be changing my zero, it was what I was used to, I knew how how to make it work. The outfitter had also relaxed and no longer insisted the clients change from the zeros that they were used to (of course he knew me now). The outfitter also now used Primos Trigger Sticks. Much, much better. I also used the bipod twice. My shooting was infinitely better the whole trip. The fact I was much more relaxed also helped. Jim

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My South African PH friend Keith Gradwell calls that the "sergeant's stripes" placement, which is what he advises for any zebra standing near broadside. We have a couple of zebra hides in the house with holes right there.

This was a Burchell's from Tanzania, shot at around 100 yards with a 286 Partition from a 9.3x62. The stallion is plenty dead (it collapsed after 25 yards) but the pressure on the body kept pushing blood out the entrance hole for at least a couple minutes.

[Linked Image]

That's where I hit mine with a 260g AB from a 375 ruger. Left a big exit out the other side and that thing still ran 150 yards. I don't know how it did but the little Jack Russel loved tracking it for me.

When we got to it the dog pulled the tail up and bit it right on the star hole. I asked the guide what he was doing and he said he's making sure it's dead. I said why does he do it like that and guide said could you play dead if he was doing that to you.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/16/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had the privilege to take 3 Burchell's in South Africa ( northeast of Joberg) My first was standing in the shadows right at 100yds and he was very camouflaged. My friend/PH wanted me to use his 300WM/Barnes 180 XBT on him. I held for what I "thought" was the Sgt chevron, thinking he was broadside, ended up just barely catching the front lobe of the left lung as he was kind of twisted to the right. Bullet did not exit and the hide closed up on the 30 cal entrance hole. He took off with the herd of a Baker's Dozen. Only time he left blood besides a few drops was when he coughed a clot, right in the middle of the trail. 3 hours later and almost 6 miles, we caught up with them again. This time I had my 35 WAI/250X and at 150yds I tried to Texas Heart shoot him ( why isn't that shot ever called the Washington DC shot?) and popped him right alongside the backbone. He dropped "but got right up" and was running but slower. I led a little and popped him in the shoulder then, that bullet exited. The near spinal shot bullet was recovered almost 3 ft. up. Impressive animal! 2nd zebra was quartering toward me, shot her on the point of the shoulder at 125yds, 340W/210 XBT. Broke the shoulder, did not exit,she ran with the herd and briefly stopped in some trees around 75yds ( me running after her!) I head shot her. Bullet exited but did no damage to hide! 3rd Mare was 250yds off, this time with the 35WAI/but 200X, broadside and I aimed at the base of the neck. The bullet dropped a bit more than I wanted, but cut her jugulars, exiting with a quarter sized hole. She ran poring blood by the buckets it looked like, about 50yds and crashed into a clump of around 7 3" diameter Camel Thorn trees "and broke them off!! She was guesstimate around 600 pounds. Solid animals, like shooting a 'stump", ha. All these were on 3 different trips from 1998 to 2002. I always advise people going to Africa...you "have" to shoot a zebra! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/28/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We were told by PH not to shoot the stallions as it takes quite a time for the herd to re integrate another one ..Sometimes several years..Which can slow down re populating..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
400 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.