Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rodell
Bear spray is only to spray everywhere after you shoot so the antis don't sue you in civil court.

More like bear spray should only be used on the antis.

My buddy and his wife did the PCT from Canada to Mexico. They encountered a grizzly bear just above Stehekin.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Attention hikers/climbers/hunters and those with picnic baskets:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...o+North+Cascades_7_25_2019&utm_term=

I spent a lot of time in the North Cascades 88-95 hiking/fishing in the summer and hunting in the winter. I would be surprised if there were not some grizzlies their periodically then or today. Easy to get a few miles in and not see anyone for a week. LOTS of black bears though. Rare I didn't see one on a trip.

Pugs;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the week has been a good one for you and this finds you well.

With the admission that I had to look up where North Cascades National Park is, I'd be surprised if the Canuck grizzly bears pay any attention whatsoever to the medicine line and wander back and forth into the US whenever the urge strikes them.

We used to do a fair bit of hunting, camping and kicking around just on this side of the medicine line more or less straight north of Winthrop.

There is - so I'm told and given to understand - a reasonably healthy population of grizzly bears which wander from our part of the Okanagan across the Similkameen and then down into Washington in that part of the world - where they'd be more or less north of Winthrop once again.

Anyway how many and how frequent I can't say. As you've mentioned, there's lots and lots of black bears in our part of the world - indeed some nice blonde and strawberry color phases in that particular range we're discussing, but no, we've not seen a grizzly there as yet.

Others have however and it wouldn't be the most shocking thing for me to see one there.

Anyway, just another guy's thoughts on the matter and nothing more Pugs. All the best to you folks as we head into the fall.

Dwayne

Your responses are always respectful and knowledgable.
As a fellow Canuck and B.C. resident , I have an opinion on our Canadian Grizzlies, specifically around southern eastern B.C.
We get tourists here, American, Canadian,Austrailian and I see them with pepper spray and I have heard of several failures due to wind issues and outdated product.
These are invariably city folks and their clothing is a dead give away. It doesn't take a social scientist to put tourists and our locals into separate groups. Nearly every local guy has a pickup truck and a truck gun. Locals will not go outside without a ball cap and a pocket knife.
I only hope( and pray) that British Columbian voters change this government and its city agenda and reinstate the Grizzly hunt. These bears are being killed as pests and the numbers are very good. They should be managed as Game animals and not vermin.
I don't know much about bear bells, or some phone app that replicates this- just seems silly to me. Cheers

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A few years ago there was talk of putting grizzlies in the Uinta's. Man what a howl from a couple people. The author and my brother. IIRC the author didn't want to worry about thousands of grizzlies while he hunted the area. My brother echoed the same thing. Since it would take a few human generations to see that I thought he need not worry.

On the other hand since the feds won't let us hunt them I see no reason not to put our excess grizzlies into California, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and so on. After all, most people who don't have to deal with grizzlies are perfectly fine with them in someone else's neighborhood so I think our wealth of them should be shared with those who are occupying the bears traditional territory.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Rodell
Bear spray is only to spray everywhere after you shoot so the antis don't sue you in civil court.

More like bear spray should only be used on the antis.

My buddy and his wife did the PCT from Canada to Mexico. They encountered a grizzly bear just above Stehekin.

When?

Can they be more specific on that location where they saw the bear? Do they have a photo or map/satellite co-ordinates of the terrain in the vicinity?

What happened?

Did they REPORT the encounter with the Chelan County Sheriff, USDA or possibly National Park Service??

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my vote and if I could I would donate some of the brown/grizzly bears from my area to the cause. If it works out then send some down to California and let San Francisco and a few other places in progressive California practice what they preach to the rest of the nation. Heck ya!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This was 20 years ago. I believe they did report it to the rangers in Stehekin but were summarily dismissed as misidentifying a black bear. They are well versed in the backcountry and know what they saw. Pre cellphone proliferation days so as my friend tells it they were backing up single file as he was trying to remove the camera when it huffed and busted into the brush.

We reported wolf sightings but were also dismissed since there’s no wolves in The Sawtooth or Similkameen area according to the biologists back then.....until there was. If it’s not part of the FWS agenda then it’s recorded as a misidentification and dismissed. I’d not ever waste my breath reporting anything but a forest fire to them. Even then they’d probably ignore it. Until they can’t.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heard a North Cascades carnivore biologist speak 2-3 years ago, and per an extensive study (on U.S. side) where they used barbs to harvest fur near baited sites, 100% of their samples came from black bears.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fremont
Heard a North Cascades carnivore biologist speak 2-3 years ago, and per an extensive study (on U.S. side) where they used barbs to harvest fur near baited sites, 100% of their samples came from black bears.

Impossible to prove a negative, especially with quite a few solid examples of grizzled being there.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Especially with climate-frenzied illegal immigrant Canadian bears filling their bellies with higher quality nutritious American berries and then sneaking back over the border.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm personally acquainted with two very seasoned gentlemen who have come upon unmistakable fresh grizzly sign, south of highway 20, a few miles east of the divide. Two separate locations ~ 5 miles apart (neighboring drainages). Non-Canadian-grey wolves have been in the sawtooth approximately forever.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.