Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BwanaND Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone have any experience fishing there that is willing to share what you know?

Planning for a mid-March trip so wondering about potential opportunities, species in season, etc.

Thoughts?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Many years ago, world class Marlin fishing. Upper-food-chain fish such as groupers, snappers, kingfish, barracuda, etc., tend to be chancy around St. Thomas concerning ciguatera.

Last edited by Sevastopol; 07/21/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go to Havana instead...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
St John is not really a fishing destination. There aren't many charters available and my experience with inshore was rugged.. as in the the bottom you are walking on while wading. Volcanic rock, striated limestone, and dead coral heads. That said, there are a couple spots where you can walk in that are not nearly as treacherous.

Leaving fishing out of the equation, St John is an outstanding vacation destination. The people are friendly. English spoken. Excellent accommodations. We rented one of the large private villas on the backside of the island up in the hills. Also, rented a Jeep from the owner. Very safe.

You go to one beach and think it's the best you've ever been to.. then you find the next one that's even better.. and the next.. and the next..

The saying is, when you're on St Thomas waiting for the ferry to St John, you're only 20 minutes from Paradise.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
BwanaND Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input folks.

Though it doesn't appear to be much of a fishing destination the fact that they have tarpon made me think I might be able to check one species off my bucket list.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it's not March yet, so maybe this will help:

It's been 26 years since I was there, so take this with a grain of salt. While I didn't fish, I did four dives over two days from the island. There were plenty of reef fish to be seen not all that far from shore. Easy to rent a kayak, paddle out and have at it. As well, while snorkeling by the rocky edges at the end of beaches, I observed a lot of fish. Trophy tarpon, nah. But enough numbers and of a size that I was wishing I'd brought a rod/reel and a small selection of lures. Think bass gear, not Pike or Musky.

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess it depends on your expectations and what is defined as fishing. didn't go to St. John but went out to Virgin Gorda for vacation. travel agent told me that there was no real fishing charters etc. we stayed at the Bitter End Yacht Club and the daily rate included a sail boat or a motor boat.
when I got there I ran into a fellow who caught little grass crabs and some type of small fish every morning. went out and had a ball on all kinds of fish inside the reef. told me he does it every year him and the wife come there. he said you just got to do it yourself .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 70 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.