Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I went to college in the seventies in a small town in central Georgia, Milledgeville. This town was the capital of Georgia during the war.
Time moves slowly there in the Deep South and "old times there are not forgotten."

I was living in an old apartment building. My next door neighbor was a granny about 65 years old. I was talking to her one day, she wanted me to help her move a sofa. When I was in her living room I saw a big portrait of General Longstreet on the wall. I told her I liked the portrait and she said that Longstreet was her great grandfather.
I told her Longstreet was a great general.

She said, "Yes, but he hurt our cause because he was a little slow coming up at Gettysburg."

I guess General Longstreet can take heat for day 2 of the Gettysburg battle, but I think he was correct to advise General Lee to punt on Gettysburg after the first day. Gettysburg was not a good place for the South once the Union occupied the high ground. Naturally it is a second guess, but the South should have got between Gettysburg and Washington and maybe hope for better terrain. General Longstreet May have had a better plan than General Lee.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember Johnstown before it went to pot. In the 70s and early 80s it wasn't a bad place. My paternal Grandmother lived in Hornerstown. We lived in a little farming community about 30 miles east. Every summer I spent a week or three painting. Landscaping and fixing stuff up for Gramma. You could walk anywhere you wanted without looking over your shoulder.
I'm a country boy, so I couldn't wait to get home to my guns and cars, but it was a nice town.
Nowadays you go armed and stay in condition yellow...
Terry, I'm sure you know the history as well as I do, but for the others.
Longstreet never had orders for a daylight attack at Gettysburg. On July 2nd his corps wasn't completely there yet, and on the 3rd the supporting artillery wasn't in place until after noon for "Pickett's Charge".
That was cooked up by Early and Pendelton after Lee had died and Longstreet became a (gasp) Republican! But if you do a little reading you'll find that both Early and Pendelton had good reason to look for a scapegoat.
Gettysburg's importance in the war is far overrated by most folks. The best Lee could ever have accomplished was a small tactical victory. Serious damage to the AOP just wasn't possible after he allowed himself to be drawn into battle there, and with Vicksburg fixing to fall, I don't think a big victory would have helped much. The Civil War was lost in the west. Lee was powerless to stop that, Gettysburg or not.
I love the place. As Shelby Foote said, "when you walk it, the ground talks to you".
But it wasn't the changing point. Look to Antietam and Shilo for that.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In Lee’s personal opinion, the thrashing at Gettysburg was so monumental that he voluntarily asked to resign.

Last edited by battue; 07/27/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Gettysburg should have been a done deal on the eve of July 1 if ewell had got off his ass and pressed the high ground it should have been a done deal July 2 if Longstreet had attacked where Pickett’s charge happened July 3 all that sat there was a few batteries no infantry several Florida and Alabama regiments over ran it July 2 and took the heights but had no support and returned back

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many of The Rangers at Gettysburg really love their job.
Was at Little Roundtop one day and a tour came thru.
One person was very interested in General Vincent.
The Ranger took them to a point and told them to look in a certain direction and handed them an old binoculars.....”This is what Vincent saw......these were his binoculars during the battle.”

When Martin Sheen was filming Gettysburg an extra whacked up during a scene and handed him a tobacco pouch to use in the scene. It was Lee’s and Sheen was moved.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=7mmbuster]I remember Johnstown before it went to pot. In the 70s and early 80s it wasn't a bad place. My paternal Grandmother lived in Hornerstown. We lived in a little farming community about 30 miles east. Every summer I spent a week or three painting. Landscaping and fixing stuff up for Gramma. You could walk anywhere you wanted without looking over your shoulder.
I'm a country boy, so I couldn't wait to get home to my guns and cars, but it was a nice town.
Nowadays you go armed and stay in condition yellow...
Terry, I'm sure you know the history as well as I do, but for the others.
Longstreet never had orders for a daylight attack at Gettysburg. On July 2nd his corps wasn't completely there yet, and on the 3rd the supporting artillery wasn't in place until after noon for "Pickett's Charge".
That was cooked up by Early and Pendelton after Lee had died and Longstreet became a (gasp) Republican! But if you do a little reading you'll find that both Early and Pendelton had good reason to look for a scapegoat.
Gettysburg's importance in the war is far overrated by most folks. The best Lee could ever have accomplished was a small tactical victory. Serious damage to the AOP just wasn't possible after he allowed himself to be drawn into battle there, and with Vicksburg fixing to fall, I don't think a big victory would have helped much. The Civil War was lost in the west. Lee was powerless to stop that, Gettysburg or not.
I love the place. As Shelby Foote said, "when you walk it, the ground talks to you".
But it wasn't the changing point. Look to Antietam and Shilo for that.
7mm[/quote

Lee was living off the land and the North have railroads and tons of supplies. The South was doomed.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure in any battle back then that there were multiple instances of faulty communication, and no one would be talking this stuff it Lee had WON at Gettysburg but....

Right before the Gettysburg campaign Lee reorganized the ANV from two divisions into three divisions, perhaps a classic case of fixing something that weren't broke.

In this process AP Hill, probably the most high strung and contentious of Lee's Generals, was elevated to command this new Third Corps. Longstreet commanded another. Some time prior to this Hill had provoked the normally even-tempered Longstreet into agreeing to fight an actual duel, which is an indication of Hill's temperament, said duel being avoided only by the personal intervention of Lee himself.

At Gettysburg along Seminary Ridge, Longstreet's Corps is placed to the right adjacent to Anderson, who was under command of AP Hill, after the war Lee himself wrote that a failure of cooperation between Longstreet and Hill was a primary cause of his defeat at Gettysburg.

A bit long but a good read.....

http://npshistory.com/series/symposia/gettysburg_seminars/7/essay6.pdf

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
‘Nother thing; in that link I just posted note how Lee himself held back on Day 1 from a full-blown assault on Culp’s Hill
and the high ground because without Stuart he didn’t yet know where the Union Army was and feared an attack on his flank.

I hadn’t read that before.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
More on Day 1 at Gettysburg, and again an account of Lee himself moving to stop an attempt to take the high ground... which failure has been popularly placed on AP Hill as in "if only Jackson had been there..." Lee's caution again based on his not knowing exactly where the bulk of the Union Army was at that moment in time, which ignorance can of course be placed on the shoulders of JEB Stuart.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/meade-ewell-post-war-discussion-of-culp%E2%80%99s-hill.160425/

Read through the letters of Gen. George Meade and this caught my attention. Writing to Gettysburg veteran G.G. Benedict, Meade talks of a post war discussion between himself and Gen. Richard Ewell.

“Now let me tell you another historical fact. Lieutenant-General Ewell, in a conversation held with me shortly after the war, asked what would have been the effects if at 4 P.M. on the first he had occupied Culp’s Hill and established batteries on it. I told him that in my judgement, in the then condition of the Eleventh and First Corps, with their morale affected by their withdrawal to Cemetery Ridge, with the loss of over half their numbers in killed, wounded and missing (of the 6,000 prisoners we lost in the field nearly all came from these corps on the first day), his occupation of Culp’s Hill, with batteries commanding the whole of Cemetery Ridge, would have produced the evacuation of the ridge and the withdrawal of the troops there by the Baltimore Pike and Taneytown and Emmitsburg roads.

He informed me that at 4 P.M. on the 1st he had his corps, 20,000 strong, in column of attack, and on point of moving on Culp’s Hill, which he saw was unoccupied and commanded Cemetery Ridge, when he received an order from General Lee directing him to assume the defensive, and not to advance; that he sent General Lee urging to be permitted to advance with his reserves but the reply was a reiteration of the previous order. To my inquiry as to why Lee had restrained him, he said our troops coming up (Slocum’s) were visible, and Lee was under the impression that the greater part of my army was on the ground and deemed it prudential to await the rest of his- as you quote from his report.”

AP Hill himself was frequently troubled by a chronic case of gonorrhea, picked up from a dalliance with a NYC prostitute whilst a Cadet at West Point and was bedridden at the start of the battle.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps I have been confusing Dick Ewell with AP Hill, but I have heard the mantra my whole life that Lee's Generals failed him on Day 1 when they failed to take the high ground.

Here's a detailed look at General Richard Ewell's actions on Day 1, and once again we have Lee himself countermanding any intentions to assault the high ground....

https://www.historynet.com/did-lt-gen-richard-ewell-lose-the-battle-of-gettysburg.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Perhaps I have been confusing Dick Ewell with AP Hill, but I have heard the mantra my whole life that Lee's Generals failed him on Day 1 when they failed to take the high ground.

I thought maybe you had your wires crossed, Mike! grin
Ewell had been a pretty good division commander under Stonewall, but I think as a corps commander he was a little out of his realm. A few of the things I've read lead me to think that Ewell was corps commander, but Jubal Early actually called the shots. Lee was usually pretty passive as a commander, giving his subordinates a lot of leeway in carrying out orders. Sometimes a little too much leeway.
I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "if only Stonewall had been at Gettysburg! He'd have driven the Yankees off Cemetery Hill!"
Ok let's suppose Ewell had captured either Cemetery or Culp's Hill on July 1. Meade had already planned to rally his army at Pipe Creek, about 15 miles or so south of Gettysburg. Only after Hancock recommended holding Gettysburg, did he change his mind.
So the Rebels get the hills, Meade digs in on Pipe Creek. Now what happens?
If you're Lee, 60 miles inside enemy territory, no supply or communication lines, fairly scattered with no idea where your cavalry or most of the enemy army is. How does winning a one day skirmish at Gettysburg help you, and what do you do afterwards?
As I said, people attach way too much importance to Gettysburg.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I thought maybe you had your wires crossed, Mike! grin
Ewell had been a pretty good division commander under Stonewall, but I think as a corps commander he was a little out of his realm. A few of the things I've read lead me to think that Ewell was corps commander, but Jubal Early actually called the shots. Lee was usually pretty passive as a commander, giving his subordinates a lot of leeway in carrying out orders. Sometimes a little too much leeway.
I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "if only Stonewall had been at Gettysburg! He'd have driven the Yankees off Cemetery Hill!"
Ok let's suppose Ewell had captured either Cemetery or Culp's Hill on July 1. Meade had already planned to rally his army at Pipe Creek, about 15 miles or so south of Gettysburg. Only after Hancock recommended holding Gettysburg, did he change his mind.
So the Rebels get the hills, Meade digs in on Pipe Creek. Now what happens?
If you're Lee, 60 miles inside enemy territory, no supply or communication lines, fairly scattered with no idea where your cavalry or most of the enemy army is. How does winning a one day skirmish at Gettysburg help you, and what do you do afterwards?
As I said, people attach way too much importance to Gettysburg.
7mm

Excellent post and certainly a good debate starting point.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All Gettysburg did was give the North an additional 4th of July present along with the real prize of the summer of 63, Vicksburg!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Army of. Northern Virginia was reduced by 37% after Gettysburg.

“Nearly one-third of the total forces engaged at Gettysburg became casualties. George Gordon Meade’s Army of the Potomac lost 28 percent of the men involved; Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia suffered over 37 percent.

Of these casualties, 7,058 were fatalities (3,155 Union, 3,903 Confederate). Another 33,264 had been wounded (14,529 Union, 18,735 Confederate) and 10,790 were missing (5,365 Union, 5,425 Confederate).”

Think about this 37%, essentially 2 day reduction in your already quickly eroding fighting force. Many without shoes according to a previous post. Combine it with the effect that battle had on the will-there is that Sherman philosophy again-on the rest of Lee’s men and get back to us on the insignificance you apply to Gettysburg.

On day three Lee himself became the reason for the loss. He himself thought Gettysburg was so important that he had his men try to take those hills a second time. Hills he really didn't want to mess with the first time because he wasn't sure of their defense. But on the second, when he knew they were reinforced he charged them with a further weakened army.

Lee lost Gettysburg. He also thought the war was a lost cause from the beginning. His loyalty to Virginia only being stronger than his loyalty to the Union

Last edited by battue; 07/30/19.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Gettysburg should have been a done deal on the eve of July 1 if ewell had got off his ass and pressed the high ground it should have been a done deal July 2 if Longstreet had attacked where Pickett’s charge happened July 3 all that sat there was a few batteries no infantry several Florida and Alabama regiments over ran it July 2 and took the heights but had no support and returned back

“If wishes were fishes, we’d all be swimming.”

Any lost battle could have been won if the losers had done something different, but they didn’t...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
IMHO the question that needs to be asked is just what the Hell Lee was going to do if he either laid siege to Washington, or captured it??? I mean other than pizz off a whole bunch of Yankees a second time??? Really?? How the hell was he going to maintain any of this with a bag of cornmeal and 5 pounds of powder?

Was Davis so stupid to think just Lee’s being there was going to strike fear into an army with an over abundance of both men and material??? Yeah, they’ll finally set down and talk terms with us!!! Really???

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
IMHO the question that needs to be asked is just what the Hell Lee was going to do if he either laid siege to Washington, or captured it??? I mean other than pizz off a whole bunch of Yankees a second time??? Really?? How the hell was he going to maintain any of this with a bag of cornmeal and 5 pounds of powder?

Was Davis so stupid to think just Lee’s being there was going to strike fear into an army with an over abundance of both men and material??? Yeah, they’ll finally set down and talk terms with us!!! Really???

Reminds me of December 7th, the second the first jap bomb went off the rails, they lost the war. Fort Sumter redux..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Lincoln barely won the election of 1864 as it was. If in 1863 a southern army had been able to traverse Union territory at will, laying siege to Washington, disrupting commerce, and then going home or staying as it saw fit, Lincoln might not have even made it to the election.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.