Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spend the past week in the Canadian Rockies with my wife. We lodged in Canmore and branched out from there. Spent quite a bit of time hiking where we could actually get access (seems like most places in Banff are closed) We hiked about halfway to Mt. Assiniboine one day and I paid dearly for it the next day. Lake Louise was so crowded it was almost impossible to enjoy. I honestly think there are 3 or 4:1 Asians to all other races combined. Those Asians sure like to get the h3ll out of Dodge!

The scenery was better than I could have imagined. The weather was wonderful. We hiked up about Lake Louise and I found a thermometer hanging on an old ski building. It read 38 F. Pretty chilly day for July. We enjoyed the Bow river, saw Grizzlies and a few elk and mule deer. I glassed up a couple of goats one day as well.

Getting out of the airplane in Phoenix was a rude awakening! Wish I could have stayed a month!

Couple of things I didn't like:

I have no idea what the infatuation is with Tim Hortons??? A vegan fast food for the most part!

We did a road trip one day and ended up in Golden BC- we couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Some things were just stupid expensive-head scratching expensive. Sorry about the dollar.

You guys must have some scary high taxes because that Highway 1 was without a doubt the most meticulously maintained road I have ever had the pleasure of driving on anywhere in the world.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I spend the past week in the Canadian Rockies with my wife. We lodged in Canmore and branched out from there. Spent quite a bit of time hiking where we could actually get access (seems like most places in Banff are closed) We hiked about halfway to Mt. Assiniboine one day and I paid dearly for it the next day. Lake Louise was so crowded it was almost impossible to enjoy. I honestly think there are 3 or 4:1 Asians to all other races combined. Those Asians sure like to get the h3ll out of Dodge!

The scenery was better than I could have imagined. The weather was wonderful. We hiked up about Lake Louise and I found a thermometer hanging on an old ski building. It read 38 F. Pretty chilly day for July. We enjoyed the Bow river, saw Grizzlies and a few elk and mule deer. I glassed up a couple of goats one day as well.

Getting out of the airplane in Phoenix was a rude awakening! Wish I could have stayed a month!

Couple of things I didn't like:

I have no idea what the infatuation is with Tim Hortons??? A vegan fast food for the most part!

We did a road trip one day and ended up in Golden BC- we couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Some things were just stupid expensive-head scratching expensive. Sorry about the dollar.

You guys must have some scary high taxes because that Highway 1 was without a doubt the most meticulously maintained road I have ever had the pleasure of driving on anywhere in the world.

Glad you enjoyed it.

- Tim Hortons. Donuts and hot chocolate are awesome. I much prefer it to Krispy Kreme. In the last year or two they’ve introduced their “beyond meat” option. I’m not a fan.

- Golden is a big truck stop on the way to nicer places wink

- We get hosed compared to prices in the US. The exchange rate doesn’t help.

- We do. Between all the various types of taxes, I would say 50-60% of our income goes to tax.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
We bought Tim's bits twice and they were good. I guess I was expecting it to be McDonalds.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan and Dennis;
Good afternoon to you both, I hope that the day is as fine and warm in both your locales as it is here.

Indeed as Jordan mentioned, I too prefer the Tim's donuts to Krispy Kreme - but can take or leave the coffee. Honestly though it may be heresy to admit this, I prefer McDonald's coffee over Tim's. eek

Golden - well it's Golden alright and has been for as long as I've been traveling through it which is nigh onto 40 years now. It is a sight for sore eyes if one's fuel gauge has been pegged on E for awhile or if you're riding a blizzard and want a place to sit it out instead.

Please don't get me started on prices here in Canada.... I just ordered some replacement hydraulic cylinders for our mid-life crisis - a 40th Anniversary rag top Mustang. They were $85 USD each and by the time they land here I'll be into them for more than $150CDN each.

I'd say your tax calcs are right on the money too Jordan - pardon the use of that term in these circumstances. wink

Anyway I'm glad Dennis had a good trip and returned home safely.

All the best to you both as we head closer to the fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Dennis thanks for coming up. Timmies is quite different than McDonalds. Good coffee and donut my dad loves the iced cappuccino. The president of McDonalds Canada has come out as very pro beef and pro Canadian beef so I’m leaning more to Mcdonalds for coffee now.

Lots of very cool hikes outside of the national parks. If you come up again drop me a PM and I can steer you to some cool hikes with far fewer people.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis, Jordan, Dwayne and George, I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do listen to talk radio.

At one time Tim's allegedly had the best coffee, but they merged with Wendy's. About that time, their coffee contract was up. Some brainiac decided it cost too much or they could do better or McDonald's out bid them. Anyways now most people I know think McDonald's coffee is the best and Tim's is tolerable. Must say I like Tim's donuts and they have some decent soups and sandwiches.

Asians. Whole planeloads fly in. Bus after bus head out on tours of the Rockies. They can be rude. Money seems to be no object, Banff etc can be very expensive.

Until this week, it has been a cooler spring and summer. Always prepare for the weather changes in the mountains. The climate changes as you climb up. Plants above the tree line are similar to the arctic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I come up again, I will want to venture out somewhere that doesn't have so many "rules". I mean we weren't even allowed to step off the bloody trails!

I had ONE burger while in Canada and it was not at a fast food place. It was at some gourmet eatery in Banff. I didn't even spring for "grass fed". I was bound and determined to get a burger after the Timmy let-down. It was $21 for a burger but it was good! Never met nicer folks along the way either. Most of the workers everywhere were just seasonal imports but they had a smile and did great-except in Golden! Fuel was quite a bit more expensive in Golden than it was in Banff or Canmore and those two were a lot more than Calgary. I guess the fuel trucks run east to west?

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis;
If you ever head up into BC through Highway 97, do feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best to get some coffee, food or if it's in season some "world famous" ice cream into you.

Like my friend GRF mentioned too, I can likely point you to some of the "less traveled" places to hike down here.

We've traveled a fair bit in the southern half of the province too, so could give some ideas where you might want to go or see either in the Kootenays, Okanagan or Vancouver Island.

The gas prices in BC are always about as silly as one can get - so since Golden is in BC, you pay more because we've got much higher provincial taxes on just about everything.

Anyway sir, thanks for coming up and all the best to you as we head into the fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Dennis, Jordan, Dwayne and George, I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do listen to talk radio.

Neither am I, which is why I mentioned that the hot chocolate is awesome... grin

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 07/28/19. Reason: Autocorrect....smh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
When I come up again, I will want to venture out somewhere that doesn't have so many "rules". I mean we weren't even allowed to step off the bloody trails!

I had ONE burger while in Canada and it was not at a fast food place. It was at some gourmet eatery in Banff. I didn't even spring for "grass fed". I was bound and determined to get a burger after the Timmy let-down. It was $21 for a burger but it was good! Never met nicer folks along the way either. Most of the workers everywhere were just seasonal imports but they had a smile and did great-except in Golden! Fuel was quite a bit more expensive in Golden than it was in Banff or Canmore and those two were a lot more than Calgary. I guess the fuel trucks run east to west?

All those issues are "Banff" issues, aka tourist attraction issues. Canmore is only slightly better than Banff. Once you get off the beaten trail things improve vastly.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by AB2506

Neither am I, which I why I mentioned that the hot chocolate is awesome... grin

Sometimes a goid hot chocolate is a good thing. Not fond of the salted caramel fad. Caramel ain't bad, but the salt ruins it for me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dennis;
If you ever head up into BC through Highway 97, do feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best to get some coffee, food or if it's in season some "world famous" ice cream into you.

Like my friend GRF mentioned too, I can likely point you to some of the "less traveled" places to hike down here.

We've traveled a fair bit in the southern half of the province too, so could give some ideas where you might want to go or see either in the Kootenays, Okanagan or Vancouver Island.

The gas prices in BC are always about as silly as one can get - so since Golden is in BC, you pay more because we've got much higher provincial taxes on just about everything.

Anyway sir, thanks for coming up and all the best to you as we head into the fall.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I'll keep that in mind. I drove from Arizona to Shuswap (spelling) lake one time- that is about as far north in BC as I have been.

Dennis

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

Glad you enjoyed that part of Canada. Have been visiting around there (and other parts of Alberta and BC) for quite a while now. In fact we keep a stash of Canadian money on hand in case we decide to go again!

Far northern BC is worth the trip as well: While the "tourist" facilities aren't as abundant, it's a lot less crowded!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you had a good time, if you want to see a small piece of Canada keep away from the tourist dumps and go somewhere you can hike off the trails. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact a member of the fire who lives in the area that could point you in the direction of a good time at a reasonable price.
The reason why you see the #1 maintained meticulously is because for many years it was a 2 lane hwy whereby people went hurtling off the road into the abyss below.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
heresy to admit this, I prefer McDonald's coffee over Tim's.

confused

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

confused

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

confused

sse;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of July 2019 treated you well.

I'm going to have to admit that I'm confused as to why you're confused.

Is it that I prefer the taste of most batches of McDonald's coffee to the coffee most often found here in BC Tim Horton's?

Or is it that I admit to flagrant anti-Canadian activity in doing so?

Of it it another option I've not yet conceived in my current state of confusion?

Thanks in advance and all the best to you regardless of your coffee preferences.

Dwayne

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by sse

confused

sse;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of July 2019 treated you well.

I'm going to have to admit that I'm confused as to why you're confused.

Is it that I prefer the taste of most batches of McDonald's coffee to the coffee most often found here in BC Tim Horton's?

Or is it that I admit to flagrant anti-Canadian activity in doing so?

Of it it another option I've not yet conceived in my current state of confusion?

Thanks in advance and all the best to you regardless of your coffee preferences.

Dwayne

LOL...all of the above...i can't help but judge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sse;
Good morning to you sir, thanks for the reply and here's hoping this first day of August is a good one.

I was going to enter some sort of witty retort that if you continue to be judgmental about such things you're in jeopardy of becoming an honorary Canadian.... wink

Then of course, being a Canuck, I felt that in all probability I'd regret doing so and have to apologize for it after the fact. grin

All the best to you this August sir - again regardless of your coffee preferences!

Dwayne

PS;
My eldest daughter is a coffee snob, so I do understand that such folks exist.

She however, doesn't understand how her sophisticated taste buds could have come from my much less picky palate.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i was landed for a few years so i have some street cred, while millions have abandoned Timmie's i still have not

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.