Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,

You were the farthest from my mind when I mentioned 'internet expert'. You sir, have far too much field/practical experience to even come close to that description. If you will please reread my post, I mentioned you specifically and OUR count of the Merkel rifles known to double.

As far as the 'shoot the right barrel and wait', even from Helmut/Whoever, that is nonsense. As pointed out above, can, is the operative word, not the definitive word. That may be the way they are regulated, but that does not mean that is the only way they can be fired.

I've shot mine in too many competitions to think that it has to be shot in a certain manner, and in fact, the left barrel shoots better for the first round than the right. That being said, I shoot the left barrel as often or more than the right, and it still does not double.

I said it above and I'll say it again. Most of the doubles from my rifle have been from shooter error. At least 30 people have shot my rifle, if not more, and I'm pretty certain I can tell shooter error from rifle issues.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paladin, no worries, sir. I did not take offense, if for no other reason the internet is full of them. I agree with you a LOT of doubling occurs as a function of trigger strumming, but even Merkel has finally recognized the issue and stepped up to correct.t

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, as I said it was the Merkel rep in Alabama explaining the doubling issue. I presume there is room for both "operator error" and "design flaw" in this debate. He also said because the forward trigger controls the right barrel, this is where the operator could error during recoil. Plus this would not be "
doubling" it would be a "double tap". As for the 10-15 second time frame, Jorge, he said you had to fire the left barrel WITHIN 10-15 seconds before the issue of heat alerting the poi of the left barrel. He did NOT say you had to wait 10-15 seconds - obviously that makes no sense.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Definite design fault. The problem is doubling when the rear trigger is pulled first - there's no way doubling can be caused by the finger slipping onto the other tigger.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 05/12/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I... ..The second barrel must be fired in 10-15 seconds because the heat from the right barrel with change the poi for the left barrel
if you wait too long

Correct, shots are best made within a certain window of time when regulating SxS rifles.

Originally Posted by gunner500

What's being missed here is Helmut/Herbert said [WAITING] longer than 10-15 secs 'can' cause accuracy issues from one barrel heating the other,
firing rapid shots would further distance that from happening,...

What was posted by whoop was straight forward for most, but we must acknowledge the CF has some special needs types
that still require assistance in understanding such.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
[quote=bigwhoop]I...[b] ..

Correct, shots are best made within a certain window of time when regulating SxS rifles.

No. Timing sequence in a properly regulated double has nothing to do with time OR barrel selection.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, agreement here is a wonderful thing, although fleeting.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I have to say between my custom built 500 Nitro on a Merkel action, a big Verney/Carron 577 all the way down to a little RB Rodda 303 Brit double, I haven't noticed ANY issues with bullet placement firing a shot at game, or shooting around the farm walking around with sticks shooting rocks, dirt clods and stumps, sometimes several minutes between shots, for an hour or two at a time.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I have to say between my custom built 500 Nitro on a Merkel action, a big Verney/Carron 577 all the way down to a little RB Rodda 303 Brit double, I haven't noticed ANY issues with bullet placement firing a shot at game, or shooting around the farm walking around with sticks shooting rocks, dirt clods and stumps, sometimes several minutes between shots, for an hour or two at a time.

Yo guns wouldn’t dare misbehave.

They’d be afraid.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right DF, i'll lock them up in a 5500lb safe and they'll not see the light of day for months! laugh

Trump Won!
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If your guns misbehave,send them to me,I'll straighten them out. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It's a done deal Elk! cool

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

On some helpless jackwabbits, no doubt...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I just sent Elk a cell pic of a handful of 500 Nitro bull Elephant solids, just a little get well soon, and get over there and shoot one motivation! grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I just sent Elk a cell pic of a handful of 500 Nitro bull Elephant solids, just a little get well soon, and get over there and shoot one motivation! grin

Don't think he'll need that much motivation. I think he's on the mend, big guns and wabbits waiting...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YUP! smile

Trump Won!
Merkels are great guns and of there higher grade guns they had solid attention to detail. This is a stout action and should sound very solid upon opening and closing, that means no ringing pinging or dinging when the top lever closes. The barrels should come down with slight friction not just fall to the drop. The top lever doesn't need to be "slightly to the right" for a "tight gun" I've seen guns the folks beat a burr up with a hammer on your locking surfaces to falsely get tight guns, top levers should stop softly not slap shut tight.

Hope this helps some you

Andrew

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
FYI, detailed review of a Merkel .500 N.E. in the current edition of Rifle magazine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 3 Merkels, 500, 375 and 30-06
I have had no problems with the 375, It does recoil more the my M70 amd Browning A bolt but overall it is a keeper

My 500 has doubled twice with factory hornady and the recoil is tremendous and I am 230 lbs, I bought it new and it was back twice due to the doubling. The head gunsmith at Merkel asked me if I knew how to shoot a double and I told him one barrel at a time
The 30-06 is like a 22, much smaller frame and lighter

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
375 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.