Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD
My son-in-law has a Traeger and likes it quite well. It is constructed from fairly light weight sheet metal and, after several years (5-6?) of occasional use, is probably going to need replacement soon.
I've been using a Yoder YS640 pellet grill for the last 4 years (4-5 times per week) and couldn't be happier with it. It BBQ's, direct (and indirect) flame grills, smokes GREAT. Very uniform and consistent temps from 150 deg. up to over 500 deg if so desired.
A bit pricy (2-3 times what a Traeger will cost) but it is built in America (Kansas) from heavy gage steel and should last a lifetime. Structurally, mine is like new with none of the signs of thinning sheet metal my SIL's Traeger is showing.
If you are going to buy a pellet grill and can possibly save enough coin buy a Yoder. You'll spend more on the initial purchase but you'll only have to buy once.

On that note, I doubt that I would pay full price for a Traeger. I paid $500 (plus a bit for add-ons) through a dealer friend for my 3400. If I had to pay full price, I would likely look at some more robust options.

Last edited by 280shooter; 07/28/19.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
love my traeger, as a smoker, we have grilled chicken on it once and didn't like the smokey flavor in that application. However, as a smoker IMO it obsoletes everything else out there. I dinked with huge smokers and real wood for years. I had a tow behind custom made smoker that I bought in texas that I brought up to where I live now. it was made from half a behind your house propane tank, such a PITA. you had to baby the thing and practically watch it constantly. now days its pick up a 13-15 pound brisket. put it in at 11 pm cook all night. while sleep. wake up, wrap, then cook till 3 pm ish. brisket comes out excellent and repeatable everytime. Before it was a crap shoot. pellet smokers should put all the others out of business.

I do the same with my Trager on Briskets. Beef and Pork tenderloins come out perfectly moist and tender as well. Easy Peasy. I still prefer to grill a steak over hot coals!

yeah I love charcoal the best for grilling, but normally I just use my gas grills for that. the last brisket I did I tried using BBQ butcher paper instead of foil wrap. I normally wrap the brisket when I wake up in the mornings. I like to wrap it when it gets to about 150-160 degrees. I found the butcher paper kept the same moisture, but greatly increased the smoke flavor. Its just another tool, if you want more or less smoke flavor depending on the pellets you are using.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Bought a Traeger Timberline a while back. It's the heavily insulated model, which I would spring for over the standard thin sheet metal one. The idea is it keeps temps consistent where my buddies standard model fluctuates 30 degrees. They're not BBQ's that's for sure. Nor are they smokers. I think of them as smoky ovens. Got a pizza out there right now.

We cooked a 16 lb prime rib last weekend on it, and it turned out juicy and awesome. We charred the outside on a charcoal grill first, then smoked it at 225 for a few hours, until internal temp hit 132 degrees.

I love the internal probe. I have no idea how you could cook without it. MUST HAVE imo. Has an alarm when the meat hits the temp you preset it for. You could even set it with your smart phone if you wanted to. With ours anything below 225 degrees cooking temp you can use the Super Smoke setting which gives it more flavor.

Overall, it's smoky, but not really smoked like a smoker does it. Takes electricity, bad imo. Charcoal, less convenient but how you can beat the flavor?

Thats great!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Pretty hard to screw up a meal with a pellet smoker. I looked at vertical pellet smokers at Costco a while back. I was ready to buy one until I checked how much fuel they use- VERY inefficient. They had triple the burn of a Traeger style.

I would love to get one of those little battery powered Green Mountains to take camping!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I have that very one and love it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My old 7-in-1 Cabelas propane/ charcoal cooker finally rusted out after 5+ years and I couldn't get the part I needed anymore to fix it.. so I started researching my next purchase. I had never smoked anything in my life, merely grilled steak, ham steak, hamburgers, and chicken on cheap charcoal grills for most of my adulthood. Ended up going with a Rec-Tec Stampede pellet cooker. Couldn't be happier. 5 year warranty and made from some pretty stout stainless metal. Comes with the wifi, control-it-from-your-phone thing on it, so say, an all-night smoking brisket operation can be monitored and changed mid-stream from your bed.

I got it around March or April of this year and have been going to town on it. I've made at least 3 meals per weekend every since then- except two weekends when I was out of town. I've now made brisket 3 times successfully in addition to about anything else that is normally smoked. Well except I haven't tried turkey yet. They're pretty efficient, but I've used it so much that I made at least my 3rd trip to Rural King for another 100 lbs of pellets this past weekend- I was down to just two 20 lb bags.

Matter of fact, I've been using it as my outdoor oven these last few weeks so I don't have to heat my house by using the "real" oven. Two weekends ago I made, grilled salmon, smoked chicken breasts, and reverse-seared steaks. During the week, I heated up frozen: fish, shrimp, and pizza (on separate nights). This past weekend, more grilled salmon, smoked hamburger, and more steak. Last night I baked some home-made molasses cookies.

I joined 3 different pellet smoker groups on Facebook after I bought it for information and recipes, and I have to say, those groups are growing in number by leaps and bounds. I think it's probably the fastest growing thing in smoking/ grilling right now, because it's so effortless. So, you get the hate from "traditional" smokers who had to earn their badge of honor the hard way by pulling all-nighters tending the charcoal or wood to make a good brisket or hog. And I get it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I have that very one and love it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawk, does it come with a remote? And what is the lowest setting you can put it on to get smoke?

Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
JG look at the Rectec 700 bull they have one of the better PID controllers and they really hold an accurate temp costs a little more than the others but they come with a 6 year warranty, we use ours 3-4 times a week and really enjoy it!

I am in on the RECTEC grills as well.

I researched the hell out of all the pellet grills and kept coming back to the RECTEC's.

I bought the Bull 700 first and loved it so much I bought a Stampede for our lake cabin and love that one too.

Been very happy with both and highly recommend them.

My Dad has a Traeger and the RECTEC blows that thing out of the water in my opinion.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the rec's on that Rec Tec. I'll look into that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Uncle Johnny, been running treager for 15 years or better, I'll never do without one. Very versatile, I smoke my salmon, smoke my pork bellies for bacon, pizzas, reverse seat steaks yada yada yada.... Great grills!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There was a Traeger rep at Costco on Saturday. He had a mountain of grills behind him. He was getting some interest and I saw a few heading out the door.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a Traeger Pellet grill but I don't use it for burgers, steaks, chops, or chicken, other than smoked chicken I put in salads.

I believe pellet grills are for smoking primarily. Stuff like ribs and brisket.

I've cooked other things on it like steak and salmon, but my Weber charcoal grill does those so much better, it was a one and done occasion.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RickyD
I have a Traeger Pellet grill but I don't use it for burgers, steaks, chops, or chicken, other than smoked chicken I put in salads.

I've cooked other things on it like steak and salmon, but my Weber charcoal grill does those so much better, it was a one and done occasion.

Do a reverse sear with your Traeger and a cast iron pan, on the stove, to finish. Very good stuff!

But I will agree, it isn't a "grill" in the truest sense.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
So if a guy knows what he's doing on the pellet grill, how long does it take to grill up a juicy burger on it, or a 1" juicy rib eye medium rare?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I smoke both for 1\2 your or so, then crank er up, I suppose if a guy just cranked er on HIGH outta the gate it wouldn't take too long

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickyD

Exactly what I do. I use charcoal for most grilling. Where the pellet grill shines is long cooks like pork butt. 14 - 16 hour stuff.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
love my traeger, as a smoker, we have grilled chicken on it once and didn't like the smokey flavor in that application. However, as a smoker IMO it obsoletes everything else out there. I dinked with huge smokers and real wood for years. I had a tow behind custom made smoker that I bought in texas that I brought up to where I live now. it was made from half a behind your house propane tank, such a PITA. you had to baby the thing and practically watch it constantly. now days its pick up a 13-15 pound brisket. put it in at 11 pm cook all night. while sleep. wake up, wrap, then cook till 3 pm ish. brisket comes out excellent and repeatable everytime. Before it was a crap shoot. pellet smokers should put all the others out of business.

What temp do you run your Traeger on when doing a brisket?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

For general BBQ'ing......burgers, chicken, steaks, etc, how do you rate the pellet grill? Pros and Cons? I've been looking at a Camp Chef grill that has a sear box on the side of it for finishing off steaks with a sear. Thanks.

I love my pellet grill, but don't use it for burgers, steaks or other quick-cooking meats where you want a initial high temp sear.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Unless I'm mistaken, the "pellet" part of a pellet smoker/grill is for smoking only, not for grilling burgers, though the lines can get blurred a bit if the thing is capable of reaching grilling temps. If the grill portion is thick enough that it retains heat well and isn't so flimsy that it rusts through after only a couple years of use, then I could see using the pellet smoker to supplement charcoal inside the main compartment to add additional smoke flavor to grilling. On the unit JG referenced in the OP, the "steak searing" compartment is gas and it looks like the main compartment is intended for slow smoking meats with the pellet system at much lower temp. I don't personally like using gas for grilling; food just don't turn out as flavorful as with a conventional charcoal/wood grill.

Me personally, I just have a simple plain-Jane heavy walled homemade cylindrical grill for grilling and do my smoking in a dedicated smoker. I just add some wood chunks on one side of my charcoal bed when I want to get additional smoky flavor to grilled meats. Pellet smokers work great, but all the ones I've seen are intended primarily for smoking. If one has a separate grilling compartment and your intent is to buy it mainly for grilling, it seems to me that you're paying a lot extra for the smoking portion without adding any advantage in grilling vs. just a plain ole, inexpensive charcoal grill.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rooster7

What temp do you run your Traeger on when doing a brisket?

Don't have a Traeger, but do have a Green mtn. I start brisket at 175 and cook with fat side up for 4 hours.

Turn over and cook opposite side for another 2 hours.

Flip again and turn up to 185 for another 2 hours or so or until internal temp is 165.

At that point, pull off, wrap in aluminum foil and drizzel a half cup apple juice over brisket and turn up to 225. Let cook wrapped until internal temp is 200, which is usually 2-4 more hours.

It takes all day and maybe I make it more complicated than it should be, but it turns out great.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 59 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.