Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Got a 3 centerfire rifle battery in mind. Just making things simpler.

270, 223 are the bookends.

What goes in between? And why

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
6 something for 105s.
Everything else is pretty well covered.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For me it would depend on what you hunt, and under what conditions, as well as what the configuration of the .223 and .270. For example, if the .223 is a hefty sort of rig set up for target shooting and sniping varmints from long range, a light walk-around rifle for small game might make sense, if you have the opportunity to do so. Vice versa if the .223 is already a lightweight walk-around rifle - you might choose something with a bit of weight and a fast-twist barrel for reaching out a bit, and perhaps a bit of competition if that interests you - perhaps a 6mm of some sort, or another .223.

If you might do a bit of hunting in the scrub, perhaps popping pigs, then you might want something compact, and perhaps capable of getting repeat shots away quickly too if you are culling, and if the .270 doesn't fit that bill then there are any number of options which will, such as a .30-30 lever action, or a pump or self-loader in a suitable calibre.

You can always justify more rifles ;-)

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
Alert! Alert! dan oz, turn in your loony card!

"You can always justify more rifles ;-)"

This is just the kind of slippery slope some people innocently (?) put us on, and nothing good comes of it!!!

Repeat at least 100 times, "What's need got to do with it?"

If the board believes you are sincere in your contrition, we'll consider reinstating your loony card . . .

DAMMIT! Ever vigilant men!

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/28/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd consider ditching the .270 and going with .30-06, then filling the gap with maybe .25-06...or stick with .270 and get a .243 or 6mm Remington. If the .243 doesn't appeal to you, then you could always assemble an AR15 in 6mm AR. It's a nice round.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .243 is the logical choice.....but for me, you've picked the wrong bookends as there really isn't much room between them.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I am leaning 257 roberts

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Despite my picking on him for fun, dan oz gave a great answer. There is so much more about a rifle than the cartridge, and the intended use figures heavily in the decisions of action type, barrel length, sights, weight, and finally, cartridge. Actually, for any given use, cartridge should come last, because more than one will likely work about as well as some others There are also the questions of do you reload or use just factory, as well as ammo availability in out of the way places. If you want to simplify to three rifles, you have to choose wisely.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/29/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind three rifle batteries, as long as I'm allowed several. All of mine lean heavily on the 257 Roberts and 250-3000 for mid size rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somewhat in-line with Dan Oz's comment...

If the .223 & 270 are synthetic stainless===> I would look at something a little more 'Classic', say a Savage 99 in 250 Savage, Win 94 in 32 Special, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., or ?

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Got a 3 centerfire rifle battery in mind. Just making things simpler.

270, 223 are the bookends.

What goes in between? And why

While a 3 centerfire battery seems like a great idea unless you are doing some speciality hunting the 270 will cover any big game, the 223 will cover any varmints. So rather than all centerfires why not consider a quality rimfire rifle chambered in 22 LR as a part of the 3 rifle battery.

An accurate quality rimfire 22 LR will probably be shot much, much more than any of the centerfires, they are great for practice, inexpensive to shoot, can be shot in practically any locales, and are just plain fun - they are great for putting a smile on your face.

Just my .02 cents even though I strayed from your question.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am leaning 257 roberts

In my opinion the bookends have everything covered except for the 3rd wheel backup rifle that everyone should have. A 3rd wheel should have attributes of pleasant recoil yet still will take game easily in the hands of an experienced hunter. The third wheel rifle is the one you always want to shoot 50 times at the range and enjoy countless hours testing new loads while seeking accuracy and on game performance.

The 257 Roberts fits the 3rd wheel perfectly IMO

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
For that "3rd wheel backup rifle", I keep thinking I should buy a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor, hang a good scope on it, and just try to wear it out.
They are said to be damn accurate, yet they don't cost much more than a new barrel on my "nicer, prettier" rifles.
And while I have backup rifles now, I can imagine not wanting those in the hands of some people I know. I'd be willing to risk the Ruger.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Not a bad idea i guess. I am just not a plastic rifle kinda guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not a bad idea i guess. I am just not a plastic rifle kinda guy

It sounds like you are wanting three nice rifles. I was responding to Trystan's concept of a "backup" rifle. Admittedly, I was responding having in mind my preconceived idea that "backup" means I might have to lend it out.

When that plastic rifle is shooting well, and you keep remembering what you paid for it, you might get used to it. That said, it would probably always be a "backup and range rifle" to me. I'm plenty happy with my current hunting rifles, but I wouldn't mind saving their barrels for hunting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What you need is a nice drilling, with the shotgun barrels 16-gauge and the rifle barrel the 6.5x57R, and a Krieghoff insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel in .22 Magnum. That'l work as back up for 99% of all hunting in North America, and the the 6.5x57R is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 Creedmoor without the shameful connotations.

I know where you might be able to buy a very accurate drilling fitting that exact description, but it will cost about 10 times as much as an RAR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What you need is a nice drilling, with the shotgun barrels 16-gauge and the rifle barrel the 6.5x57R, and a Krieghoff insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel in .22 Magnum. That'l work as back up for 99% of all hunting in North America, and the the 6.5x57R is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 Creedmoor without the shameful connotations.

I know where you might be able to buy a very accurate drilling fitting that exact description, but it will cost about 10 times as much as an RAR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

There you go being all practical again. Sheesh!

Why not something like a .25-20 for fun time plinking? Sounds like the OP has the serious hunting game sewn up with his first two choices.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Sounds like the OP has the serious hunting game sewn up with his first two choices."

That's kinda my thought as well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No one has addressed the “cool” factor.

Creed or Swede ups the ante, at least here on the Fire.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the copper top ones!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

203 members (260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 33 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,459
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.