Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite is the old fixed blade F 15.

Bought a bunch during close out three year ago or so.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by j_elky
MCH,

Curious, what do you see as the advantage of a COC head?

More like what advantage do I see from a chisel point, None.

Penetration is better specially on slower bows like my Long bow, recurve, and Vantage LTD that I shoot fingers with, big slicing holes that bleed out very well, and they have never not punched through bone if I make a bad shot and hit the shoulder.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son and myself do use a expandable broadheads for elk made and sold by Randy Elmer and i have plenty and those heads are no longer made or sold but i believe were the best expandable broadhead made. the reason we use them is shots can be up to 50 yards for elk and those Elmer heads have killed elk very well for us ,but i still perfer Zwickey broadheads for deer hunting.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pard is in Africa right now, so far hes killed 10 animals from eland to baboon, he's using exodus 100 gr deep sixes, recovered every animals and arrow, no broken or shed blades. Great performance of you ask me.

Last edited by Judman; 08/05/19.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Muzzy HyBrid 2 fixed blade & 2 expandable blades. Killed several deer and an elk with them. "IF" the worst case happens an the expandables do not open you have 2 spooky sharp fixed to do the job. Tossed the Rages into the trash my fall back BH are Slick Trick 4 blade

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
COC take less energy to penetrate. Pretty simple there.

The other thing is where do you draw the line? If 3 is better than 2...

OTOH when we wanted a big hole the old 200 grain IIRC Snuffers did that.

2 blade Magnus and Z Deltas shot well enough for us. But our game is spooky and you better not shoot past 15 steps or so anyway or they would move and that was bad. Normally.

Shot placement is the key like with anything.

That said more blades have been easier to tune and fly better, thats been true since I started this in the late 70s.

While expandables have come a long way, I"ll never use them again after a couple of really wild experiences.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I can't see anything bad when it comes down to shooting three blade heads, so I do. Trad and compound.
I like the extra cutting edge for the damage potential it has. Witnessed it.
I like the set angle for sharpening. Easy work.
I like the balance and the results I have with tuning the arrow/bow for accuracy and flight. Witnessed it.

VPA has impressed me greatly., on deer and bear. It took a lot to take my Muzzys off my arrows. 30 years I shot them.

Notice the "I" is there a lot, because sometimes it is pure personal opinion what works best.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495
COC take less energy to penetrate. Pretty simple there.

The other thing is where do you draw the line? If 3 is better than 2...

That said more blades have been easier to tune and fly better, thats been true since I started this in the late 70s.

Correct!

3 and 4 blades both work well. Flight wise I don't see a lot of difference, I like 4 for the cutting.

Correct!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All trad here for the last 20 plus years. With the exception of a couple whitetails I killed with stone knapped points, all of my kills have been with 3 or 4 blade COC heads. That said, my best bud has shot the vast majority of his with 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos, and he's color blind. LOL

What I love about the COC 3 blades like the Snuffers, Woodsman's and the new VPA is they are stupid simple to get scary sharp. all you need is a wide flat file and maybe some automotive wet/dry sandpaper on a flat table. No real skill necessary.

I guess it all comes down to what gives you confidence.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bbassi,

A question about mounting your Woodsmans. Do you align one of the blades with the cock feather or any other special technique? I'll be hunting with some this fall and I'm always open to advice or tricks.

I've used some two blades but haven't killed with either those or the three bladed ones, so I can't speak to their effectiveness. I'm the unlucky guy who has shots at does during buck season and vice versa, or sees elk when I have a whitetail tag, or turkeys during elk season.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, I've never bothered with that. I do spin test them once the head is mounted to make sure there is no wobble in the tip but that's about it, and I usually shoot big old Snuffer 145 or 160s that have a pretty wide profile.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bbassi
No, I've never bothered with that. I do spin test them once the head is mounted to make sure there is no wobble in the tip but that's about it, and I usually shoot big old Snuffer 145 or 160s that have a pretty wide profile.

Thanks, I'll likely not mess with the ones I have mounted.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks aalf,

I believe I saw that article, or one similar by Dr Ashby, in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine.

I've some Grizzlys because of that article. I'll try them next season again.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Viper trick - two elk, two pass-through.

DRT Dirtnap - have a pack to try on deer, like collars for the extra weight, but haven’t flown them yet.

I’ll probably try the Wicked Trick at some point this season

Greg....the dirtnaps bend too easily for my taste. Fly the wickeds and dont look back

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can fly the Wicked Tricks on bareshaft out to 30 and they fly exactly like my fp. Add fletchings and im good to 80. Its all in how well you can tune your bow. And of course just how good your form is

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing like a 25 yo study to get stuff goin!! 😂😂

With today's arrows, bows, and broadheads, I'll take a 3 or 4 blade broadhead, again, for deer, and eventually elk...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want a traditional two blades broadhead, nothing works better than Ace. They are super tough and super easy to sharpen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been bowhunting since1955. I've used3 and n4 blade heads but have killed most of my game with 2 blade heads. I like the ease of sharpening and I've never had a problem with how they fly.

This is a picture of me in deer camp in 1958. Note the 2 blade Goshawk" heads in an uncovered bow quiver .The two coons came in to a wild apple tree I was sitting under....we ate both o them

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longhunter_1; 08/14/19.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 92 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.