-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just broke out my dad's old Remington M700 Varmint Special in .243. Haven't shot it for over 30 years. It has a 15X Unertl 2" Ultra Varmint scope on it. I took it to the bench to check the zero and it was real close to where it needed to be. However, I need to make a few small adjustments on the windage and elevation. My question is: Which way do you turn the micrometer adjustments to move it in which direction? I 'think' clockwise moves the impact down and to the left. Counter clockwise then would move the impact up and to the right. Am I correct? Does anyone out there know for sure? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Hunter01

Last edited by hunter01; 07/29/19.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A perfect answer to your question would require some assumptions about your micrometer mount (I assume the adjustments are in the mount. See what I mean about assumptions?)
Unless you are really short on ammo, give the adjustments 10 clicks clockwise in elevation and windage. That will answer at least two questions:
- Which way clockwise moves the impact point.
- How much each click moves the impact point.

Not trying to be a smart azz. A little careful experimentation goes a long way.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/29/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'd thought about moving the adjustment several clicks to see which way it moves, but I was trying to save ammo by finding the answer on the Campfire. Thanks again.

Hunter01

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think that sometimes people put the windage adjustment on the "other" side. Obviously, that will change things. So, too many questions and assumptions for an easy answer.
Plus, I believe they are in thousandths, not MIL or MOA. So you would still need to find the click value by shooting or figure it out based on distance between the rings.
I believe those old micrometers adjustments are pretty darn precise and repeatable. But even that is something you'd like to know for sure. If they are, you aren't going to use much ammo learning some new stuff.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I think you are correct but you can verify it if you have a good solid rest you can set the rifle in. Just line it up with the target and then without moving the rifle, adjust the scope in the direction opposite the way you want to move the impact. i.e. if you want to raise the impact, adjust the crosshairs down.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Counter clockwise is up and right.
Phil

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunter01: Try this:

"I have a card in my scope box to help me (cheat sheet).

With the external scope adjustments clockwise movement of the screws results in the following movements:

Windage will move left

Elevation will move down'

I have owned and used Unertl Target Scopes for over 50 years now and they are fine optical instruments. I have owned a number of Ultra-Varmint Unertl models in both 15 and 12 power.
I am down to just two Unertl Rifle scopes now one is an amazing BV-20 (twenty power).
I hope the above directions work out for you please verify on here once you ascertain.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ah, thanks so very much. I thought so, clockwise was down and to the left, but wasn't sure. It's been so long that I've shot with the Unertl. I sat there on the bench looking at that scope and trying to figure out what would happen if I clicked it one way or another. I've had 3, 2" Ultra Varmints. 2,15x and one 12X. I've sold the one 15X, and with it went the directions. They are great scopes. Can't believer how clear those old scopes are. From what I understand, Unertl, from Pittsburgh, Pa., are no longer in business. I tried to call them but the phone number was no longer active. I'm sure my dad is up there in the sky smiling down as he sees me shooting groundhogs with his ole vintage (1965) M700 Varmint Special in .243. 'These hogs are for you Dad."
Thanks again for the info. Very much appreciated my friend.

Will hold into the wind. (:
Hunter01

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Phil..(:

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a number of Unertls and still have five. Clockwise windage moves right. Clockwise elevation moves down. I have to really think about this without a scope in hand. The direction of movement has always seemed backwards to me. I've never checked adjustments for repeatability, but I'll bet they will do about as well as any internal adjustment scopes we have today. Unertls remain great scopes. The Unertl method for leveling the reticle is better and easier than any other scope on the market.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
TenX and Varmint Guy are correct Re: impact change relative to thimble rotation. The value of each "click" is dependent upon base spacing. If I recall correctly 7.2" base spacing provides 1/4 inch click value for the Ultra Varmint.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If the "clicks" are .001", and the ring spacing is 7.2", then set up the similar triangles (100 yards = 3600"):

.001 / 7.2 = A / 3600, solve for "A":

(.001 x 3600) / 7.2 = A

3.6 / 7.2 = A

0.5 = A

So every click is 1/2" at 100 yards. If every click is .0005, then every click is 1/4" at 100 yards.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
With a 7.2" spacing, that scope should reveal 1/4" movement per click on paper at 100 yards. The older Unertls and Feckers had coarser adjustments that equate to 1/2", of course dependent on the accuracy of the mount spacing. It's always best to experiment a little in that regard.

I too am kind of dyslexic when adjusting my Unertls, Feckers, Litscherts, etc. I keep it straight in my head by imagining which way the scope is being pivoted in relation to the direction the barrel is pointed. Ie: cranking the windage knob to the right (clockwise) pushes the rear of the scope to the left while the objective bell pivots to the right, making the barrel point farther to the left in relation to the scope- bullet impact will then shift to the left accordingly. Another way I try to remember is that bullet impact will shift in the direction I turn the turrets laterally- turn the turret so its nose is moving to the left or right and bullet impact will follow in that direction. Adjust the brain 90º to imagine the same stuff effecting elevation.

Sometimes you encounter rifles on which people mounted the rear mounts backwards with windage knobs on the LH side. My advice: switch it around or else adopt the mental gymnastics I use! I even saw one once where the goofball had the windage/elevation mount at the front of the scope...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With the adjustments in the rear just handle it like a rear iron sight: move the back end of the scope the way you want the bullet to go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.