Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for some advice on my layering system below the waist.
Late season active hunt . Could be -10 to 40.
I’ve got aerowool long boxers followed by First lite Glenbrook 3/4 length , then Sitka mountain pants.
Thinking about adding a mid layer if needed. Kuiu with leg zippers look to be a good idea.
Thinking synthetic would be better than more merino here , but don’t know ?
What would work good here ?
Also wearing gaiters.

Last edited by Stilllearning; 07/29/19.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you gotten cold on hunts like you described in those type temps before with the same clothing system?

Everybody is different, but I wear a bit less(lighter pants) than what you described on late season active hunts and my lower half doesn't get cold unless I were to stop for a lengthy period.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm the same as Lonny, anything other than a thin base layer when active is too much for me. They seem to trap sweat near the skin.

SItting down is a different ballgame. I've used a couple different mid- to heavyweight synthetics there, they all seem to work well. I think I have some by Cabela's and REI that work well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Lonny
Have you gotten cold on hunts like you described in those type temps before with the same clothing system?

Everybody is different, but I wear a bit less(lighter pants) than what you described on late season active hunts and my lower half doesn't get cold unless I were to stop for a lengthy period.

No I haven’t. This is a whole new ballgame for me . Most of my time has been spent back East in a stand.
Trying not to get caught unprepared if you know what I mean.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're going to be doing both, i.e., hiking/climbing and sitting for long periods, probably better to go with a thin base layer for moving, and get some insulated puffy pants you can pull on over your boots for when you're sitting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Icebreaker merino wool or smart wool brand products.

I just came home from a climb to the top of Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa, at 19,341 feet AMSL. I wore a long sleeved icebreaker base layer top for seven days straight (the same top) and it didn't smell, even though I certainly did. It was warm when it needed to be warm and cool when I needed it to be cool.

The only base layer I wore on my legs was a smart wool long underwear set on the assent to the peak. I'm not much for under layers on my legs, but these were fine.

I can't recommend the Icebreaker merino wool and smart wool products enough. I'm a true believer now.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Originally Posted by Lonny

No I haven’t. This is a whole new ballgame for me . Most of my time has been spent back East in a stand.
Trying not to get caught unprepared if you know what I mean.

Always smart to be thinking ahead, but in my experience, when a guy is moving much, walking in steeper country, carrying a pack, rifle, bow, etc.. I tend to stay pretty warm with just light merino pants and midweight merino long-underwear. A couple weeks ago we were hiking and the temp was 35 and I was wearing shorts. But July cold is different than November or December...

Sitting for an hour or more in 25 degree temps can be a whole different ballgame.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you're going to be doing both, i.e., hiking/climbing and sitting for long periods, probably better to go with a thin base layer for moving, and get some insulated puffy pants you can pull on over your boots for when you're sitting.

Absolutely. This is a much more flexible system for sitting in the cold while ready for action, than messing with bulky mid layers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't use a "mid-layer" bottom, I simply just adjust my lower base layer based on temps- warm- just let merino boxers, cool- very lightweight merino, cold- Patagonia Capilene Thermal weight; if it's cold and I plan on some glassing I bring a pair of zipped insulated (Apex) overpants from Nunatak, just slip them over what I wearing when glassing/off when I'm done

fully customizable- you can choose fabric, weight of insulation and zipper length (or no zipper)- mine are under 8 oz

Nunatak insulated pants

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I don't use a "mid-layer" bottom, I simply just adjust my lower base layer based on temps- warm- just let merino boxers, cool- very lightweight merino, cold- Patagonia Capilene Thermal weight; if it's cold and I plan on some glassing I bring a pair of zipped insulated (Apex) overpants from Nunatak, just slip them over what I wearing when glassing/off when I'm done

fully customizable- you can choose fabric, weight of insulation and zipper length (or no zipper)- mine are under 8 oz

Nunatak insulated pants

Curious as to why you choose to switch from merino to synthetic when it gets cold ?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a very thin merino base layer in cool weather and it moves moisture very efficiently; I’ve tried heavier weights for cold weather and while warm, don’t move moisture well. The heavier syn base layers do a much better job in that regard.

I will add that in both warmer and cool weather I wear syn pants, but in cold weather I wear wool pants (Filson whipcord) smile

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I adore the zip off Kuiu bottoms. Have a 145 merino and 97 peloton. Super awesome to be able to put them on or take them off without taking off boots. Loved them elk hunting last year, but they were even more valuable stand hunting whitetails - put them on real quick when I get to the stand, take them off when I get down to track or move to a different spot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.