OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Been doing that for many years, but thanks for posting the video.

It reminded me to go out and clean /reorganize my range ammo box..;)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, that was a cool idea and great right-to-the-point video.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had not thought of doing entire box transfers like that. A very good idea.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish I would have saved all those plastic boxes.

Anybody who has any ain't letting any go either.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pour the whole box into a plastic wide mouthed plastic jar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guess all my CCI stuff was purchased during the Jurassic Era. Don't have any 50 rd boxes.

Do have some 50 rd boxes of other stuff but I don't juggle them..

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Do have some 50 rd boxes of other stuff but I don't juggle them..

The modern paper boxed CCI rimfires are the only employers of this structurally impaired packaging technique. Aguila's paper boxed rimfire design employs the four corner rounds to keep it all together. Not perfect, but it works well if the shooter leaves the corner rounds to last.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way he does this is a lot of extra work...

Use a small punch (I use my Glock tool), pull the empty plastic cartridge holder/tray from the empty 100 round plastic box and then put in two of the full 50 cartridge trays===> 10 times as fast and no spills to boot.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The way he does this is a lot of extra work...

Jerry

Really it’s not, and you should have read my YouTube video’s caption; I address the problem of using two “50s”:

“CCI Standard Velocity is the workhorse loading for casual rimfire target shooting. Unfortunately, the 50 round paper boxes are poorly designed and lack structural integrity. Danny Creasy - dannycreasy.net - suggests you put those old, empty 100 round plastic #22longrifle boxes to use. Note, any manufacturer's 100 round plastic boxes (5 X 20 count) will do.

Some might think it easier to pull two of the 50 round trays from their paper box and simply place them side by side in one of the empty 100 round plastic boxes. This sounds good, but in my experience, the two trays slump down at the center of the 100 round plastic box and cause the sliding lid to bind when opening.”

Last edited by dannycreasy; 07/30/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have several of the 100 round Mini Mag containers and maybe a couple 50 round Velocitor boxes I use.

Even have an old 100 round slip top Coast to Coast box I keep restocking.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCI mini mags are still in 100 round plastic boxes?
I just bought some of of the CCI 40 grain Segmented 22LR and they are in plastic 100 round like CCI has been for decades.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Boy some of y'all must have a lot of extra time on your hands. Other than sheer boredom, I don't a point for this personally. I've got way too many cases of CCI SV to try to find the old boxes for. They're not that much easier to get them outta those trays anyway. I just dump them out of the box into a wide mouth plastic container that I can easily grab a handful (or few) from to load with. Just mark the container as to what they are.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Boy some of y'all must have a lot of extra time on your hands. Other than sheer boredom, I don't a point for this personally. I've got way too many cases of CCI SV to try to find the old boxes for. They're not that much easier to get them outta those trays anyway. I just dump them out of the box into a wide mouth plastic container that I can easily grab a handful (or few) from to load with. Just mark the container as to what they are.

End flap off the empty box inside

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 700LH
End flap off the empty box inside

That works too. I've taped it to the outside of the plastic container too when I've had several (with different ammo inside) and they're sitting on the shelf.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I just dump them out of the box into a wide mouth plastic container that I can easily grab a handful (or few) from to load with. Just mark the container as to what they are.

If this works for you, loose .22 LR ammo is fine. It's not for me; the crimped .22 LR bullets can get knocked around and made loose in their cases, actually spinning or getting knocked cattywampus. Accuracy suffers.

Last edited by dannycreasy; 08/01/19.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with the dump into a large container guys... I usually use 1 # plastic coffee cans and mark the lids as to the ammo and the rifle I plan to use them in... As far as the bullets getting loose in their cases, I have never noticed this in 20 years of using coffee cans.. When the gopher shooting is hot and heavy, I want to get to lots of ammo fast.. Works like a charm,,

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dannycreasy
I just dump them out of the box into a wide mouth plastic container that I can easily grab a handful (or few) from to load with. Just mark the container as to what they are.

If this works for you, loose .22 LR ammo is fine. It's not for me; the crimped .22 LR bullets can get knocked around and made loose in their cases, actually spinning or getting knocked cattywampus. Accuracy suffers.

Danny,

You might closely watch this video of 22Plinkster's recent tour of the CCI facility in Idaho-

The bullet loading process starts at about the 5:20 mark . Watch closely for a few minutes, especially right after those slugs are seated in the cases.

NOTE how those rounds are fed at high speeds in
bulk through chutes during the knurling, waxing and packaging steps right after those precious bullets seated .

Short of driving a vehicle over your ammo box ,I doubt there is ANYTHING any reasonable shooter could do to those rounds (loose in a jar or coffee can ,etc) that has NOT already been done to them at the factory.

Being neat , orderly and knowing exactly how much ammo you have on hand as well as precisely dispensing it, is a perfectly good reason for having ammo in those plastic packs..:)

But thinking you are increasing accuracy by protecting the rounds from each other does not make much sense when you see how those rounds are handled at the factory after bullet seating.

Just my take.

Last edited by jk16; 08/01/19.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
After 30 years of shooting rimfire competitions, I respectfully disagree. I simply posted a method for efficiently transferring cheaply packed paper box CCI Standard Velocity ammo (a very good practice ammo in my rimfires) to much stronger and more manageable plastic boxes. Y’all continue to enjoy your big jars and cans of twenty-twos. As far as time, it takes me about twenty minutes to re-box a thousand rounds and that usually feeds my rimfire addictions (local silhouette and bullseye matches) for a month to six weeks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dannycreasy
After 30 years of shooting rimfire competitions, I respectfully disagree. I simply posted a method for efficiently transferring cheaply packed paper box CCI Standard Velocity ammo (a very good practice ammo in my rimfires) to much stronger and more manageable plastic boxes. Y’all continue to enjoy your big jars and cans of twenty-twos. As far as time, it takes me about twenty minutes to re-box a thousand rounds and that usually feeds my rimfire addictions (local silhouette and bullseye matches) for a month to six weeks.

Danny,

You were shown the evidence in the video.

You either refused to watch it or are too stubborn to admit the facts (at least in the case of CCI ammo )

BTW I have shot competitively longer than you have,. and not all rimfire ammo is loaded with the same machinery or processes.

For example, high grade Eley, RWS etc that may be handled with much more care in their conveyor systems might show an accuracy degradation if thrown together in a container.

I think in terms of the CCI -as the video shows- that would be pretty darned unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 668 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.