Campfire Ranger
B
"A River Runs through It" by Norman Maclean. I am "haunted by waters,"

Damn good movie also.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks I just ordered Garcia's book. Earning the Rockies by Robert D. Kaplan is excellent, I am currently reading his Marco Polo's World and have enjoyed and learned from all of his books. I love book threads, even if they are expensive.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
I had read a couple of Hillerman's Leaphorn novels. Recently began chasing them down and reading them in order.

Also began re-reading 8.4, Peter Hernon's account of what could happen with the New Madrid seismic zone.

Loved the Tony Hillerman books. I think I read most all of them.
Cold Mountain was a very good read and the movie was also pretty good.
And every 5 or 6 years I like to reread Lonesome Dove.

Last edited by NVhntr; 07/25/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides. Biography of Kit Carson. worth the read.

Good Man With a Gun, by J. Evetts Haley, (if you can find it) Biography of Jefferson Davis Milton, Arizona lawman from Florida by way of Texas

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides. Biography of Kit Carson. worth the read.

Good Man With a Gun, by J. Evetts Haley, (if you can find it) Biography of Jefferson Davis Milton, Arizona lawman from Florida by way of Texas

Ahh, another fan of old timey biographies. I just finished a biography of John Sutter by Julian Dana written in 1934. I heartily recommend it.
Captain Sutter got screwed six ways from Sunday but was still instrumental in the 31st state of the Union - California.

BTW - Kit Carson was a stone cold killer

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just finished East of Eden by John Steinbeck. My son who is off at camp finished it the other week and insisted I read it. I'm glad he did. It is an incredible book. I highly recommend it.

There are two passages depicting human behaviour that really struck me. If you've ever dealt with anyone who is mired in self pity or drama you will appreciate this exchange.

"Do you take pride in your hurt?" Samuel asked. " Does it make you seem large and tragic? "
"l don't know."
"Well, think about it. Maybe you're playing a part on a great stage with only yourself as an audience."

Wow, what a beautiful way of telling someone to sack up.

The other one really hits home as you get older and reflect on your life choices.

"And in our time, when a man dies....Envies are gone, and the measuring stick is: Was he loved or was he hated? Is his death felt as a loss or does a kind of joy come if it? "

Bam!! That's it in a nutshell. Your whole life distilled down to two outcomes.

This book was draining after awhile but in a good way. Like the soreness you feel after a hard day's work. I had trouble putting it down and was in a torpor when it was finished since I so looked forward to reading it every night.

Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men is next.

Keep the book suggestions coming. Other people's takes, are what a lot of time piques interest in a book. -tnscouter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been reading Son of the Morning Star by Evan S Connell. It's about George A Custer and pretty much everyone involved in the Last Stand. My favorite books are by people who lived it. James Willard Schultz might be my favorite author.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was in Costco tonight and picked up a copy of Where The Red Fern Grows in hard cover. Did you know it's been fifty years since it was first published? I read it what seems to be a long time ago and remember choking up a little back then. I hope it will have the same effect again.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kenlguy: I loved that book when I was a kid and I too was moved by it. Enjoy the read and count on choking up even more.

I think many children's books have an even greater effect on us when we re-read them as adults.

-tnscouter

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"Story of a Bad Boy" Nathanial Aldrich
"The One-Eyed Poacher and the Maine woods" Edmund Ware Smith
And of certainly "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand because we are living it.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Frontiersmen!

A whole lot about Simon Kenton

Simon Girty should have been caught and hung!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thought about re-reading the Journal of the Corps of Discovery, may still get to it.

But I found my copy of the book I quote in my sig line. It's a quite interesting take on man, greed, and a few other things.

Geno

Ambroses take on it, Undaunted Courage is a dam fine read...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Just finished East of Eden by John Steinbeck. My son who is off at camp finished it the other week and insisted I read it. I'm glad he did. It is an incredible book. I highly recommend it.

There are two passages depicting human behaviour that really struck me. If you've ever dealt with anyone who is mired in self pity or drama you will appreciate this exchange.

"Do you take pride in your hurt?" Samuel asked. " Does it make you seem large and tragic? "
"l don't know."
"Well, think about it. Maybe you're playing a part on a great stage with only yourself as an audience."

The other one really hits home as you get older and reflect on your life choices.

"And in our time, when a man dies....Envies are gone, and the measuring stick is: Was he loved or was he hated? Is his death felt as a loss or does a kind of joy come if it? "

This book was draining after awhile but in a good way. Like the soreness you feel after a hard day's work. I had trouble putting it down and was in a torpor when it was finished since I so looked forward to reading it every night.

Keep the book suggestions coming. Other people's takes, are what a lot of time piques interest in a book. -tnscouter

Definitely in my top ten. It is his Opus in my opinion.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I love book threads, even if they are expensive.

mike r

Some of the best threads by far.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read 3 or more books every week. Many are good, some less so. I learn something from every one of them.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Read Winterdance by Gary Pauson if you like to laugh. A rookies attempt at the Iditarod.

And, Asa Earl Carter’s Education of Little Tree to make you feel good.

T4

7th and 10th Special Forces Groups (Retired)
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Carnage and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson is good. Corey Ford's series "The Lower Forty Hunting, Shooting and Inside Straight Club".

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by tnscouter

"l don't know."

Definitely in my top ten. It is his Opus in my opinion.

nemotheangler: I agree completely. I thought Grapes of Wrath was it, but East of Eden blew me away. Books like these really effect me while I'm reading them, but I feel so much better a few days after I'm finished. That's what great books should accomplish. I'm looking forward to Of Mice and Men.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Read Thomas Sowell’s “A Conflict of Visions” over vacation and found it extraordinarily enlightening. In spite of having been written in 1987 it sheds a lot of light on contemporary political debate.

I’m currently reading Walker Percy’s “Lost in the Cosmos” which is a witty & thought provoking satire on self help books. Percy is a literary genius.

Next up will be Irving Stone’s “Men to Match My Mountains” on the settlement of the west. I read a little bit of this already and it’s excellent but Percy won out and I can only read one at a time.

Thanks for the thread here there have been some excellent tips.

Has anyone picked up a “great books” collection and dug into that? Seems like a daunting task but I’m considering it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T4HALO
Read Winterdance by Gary Pauson if you like to laugh. A rookies attempt at the Iditarod.

And, Asa Earl Carter’s Education of Little Tree to make you feel good.

T4

T4HALO: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get Winterdance this week. I was introduced to Gary Paulson when my kids were little.

For everyone on the 'Fire with young kids i suggest you read about Gary Paulson and point your kids towards his books. Most men here will love his life story and greatly approve of his books. He is a prolific writer with hundreds of books and some are exceptional for young kids.

Make a date with your kids. Pick out one of his books, but make sure it is the first of a series, and read it along with your child. Discuss it afterwards and be amazed at what you learn about them. Hatchet is a great book to start with. All my kids loved it as did I. I felt like my younger self enjoying the outdoor adventure of Brian, the main character, but my older parent self really appreciated the greater struggles he was experiencing

Good reading. -tnscouter

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 42 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.