Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Just sent my parts off to Accurate Ordnance for another 7mm-08 build. Frank I to suffer from rifle ADD. smile Here is my parts list.

Lone Peak Razor s/a Nitrided.
McMillan classic edge swirly black/grey.
Bartlein 2b 9 twist finish 22"
Triggertech special.
Hawkins Precision bdl bottom metal.
Wyatt mag box and follower.
Not sure on weight, my guess would be around 6.5 lbs
Should have this back in 3-4 weeks.

You should be right on with the weight. AO built this one for me, good bunch to work with. Only parts difference is 700 action and a badger M4 BM. Think is was right at 6 lbs 5 ozs naked, barrel was also a 2b finished @ 22.5". Sold this one also confused

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had redneck put together a 7mm-08 a few years back. I'd recommend him. Mine came out to about 7.5 pounds with 23" bartlein #3. I'd post pics, but I'm not up with the times anymore ha. They're on here somewhere anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So what’s the consensus on twist for average 140-160 bullets... 1-9 or 1-8”?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Never seen extra twist hurt for good hunting bullets myself. I’d go 8 if it were mine.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have yet to see a 1-9 fail to shoot ANY 7mm bullet well,including the 195 Berger. But I live where 4000' is the lowest elevation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
[align:left][/align]

Brad,
I talked to Frank at Bartlein and he recommended a 9 twist in the 7mm-08 up to 180’s

Last edited by lone wolf; 07/30/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
180 ELDs were marginal for me in several 9 twist 7/08s at 200’ ASL.

A Rock Creek 8 twist handled them significantly better. If I’m building anything from scratch in 7mm I wouldn’t be going any slower than an 8 twist barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the thoughts gentleman... since I won't be using anything heavier than a 150 gr. BT, I'll stick with 1-9". I don't shoot or hunt below 5,000' so that will work fine. While everyone on this site seems to dwell on the positive aspects of a fast twist, musn't be some sort of downside as well? Or at least one as yet undiscovered or undiscussed...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Esox357
New to building and thinking of a 7mm08 with a 21 or 22 inch barrel. What action, barrel, stock, and gunsmith. Not looking for an ultralight i tend to like 7.5 lb rifles. What are your guys thoughts?

Here's one I just finished for a customer a few hours ago, ready to ship out.. Win M70, McMillan stock, Lilja barrel at 22.5" coated in Graphite Black and chambered in 7-08 Rem. IMHO, that stock is gorgeous.. (his idea re: color etc..):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's the route I'd be going. I feel bad because I have the almost perfect rifle sitting in the safe that never gets used. It's chambered in 7mm-08.
[Linked Image]

I've been thinking about listing it on GB, since I never use it. With a custom barrel and mcmillan, this one would rock and roll!! However, it's pretty nice as is..
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
All of mine have been 1-9" and no complaints.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=Redneck] I feel bad because I have the almost perfect rifle sitting in the safe that never gets used. It's chambered in 7mm-08.
[Linked Image]

I've been thinking about listing it on GB, since I never use it. With a custom barrel and mcmillan, this one would rock and roll!! However, it's pretty nice as is..

Unless it's nasty out I can't see why that one doesn't see the deer woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the thoughts gentleman... since I won't be using anything heavier than a 150 gr. BT, I'll stick with 1-9". I don't shoot or hunt below 5,000' so that will work fine. While everyone on this site seems to dwell on the positive aspects of a fast twist, musn't be some sort of downside as well? Or at least one as yet undiscovered or undiscussed...

There are two downsides.

1) Faster twist rates are harder on lightly-constructed varmint bullets like the Hornady SPSX, which can cause them to come apart after exiting the barrel and before reaching the target. With a little thought put into bullet selection, this is a non-issue.

2) Faster rotational velocity accentuates the imbalance in non-concentric bullets. Any flaws inside the bullet, and a faster twist rate will increase nutation, causing a slight decrease in accuracy. Up until about 10 years ago, bullet making processes were capable of good bullets most of the time, but if you were after absolute accuracy, you didn't spin those imperfect bullets any faster than necessary. With today's quality of manufacturing, tolerances in bullet production are tight enough that bullet concentricity is very good, so this is nearly a non-issue except for the very most discerning of shooters (high-level SRBR competitors). That means that it's a non-issue for 99.5% of shooters and even 95% of rifle competitors.

Bullet and barrel manufacturing technology has changed the paradigm with twist rates. Within reason, faster is better for most people, with no significant downsides.

Here's an example of the accuracy that a good 8" twist 7mm barrel and 180gr bullets are capable of. It may not win any SRBR competitions, but it works for what I do.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For reference, a 9.5" twist 7WSM will barely stabilize the 195 EOL at 3000 ASL, a 9.5" 7-08 will not stabilize it, a 9" twist 7-08 will barely stabilize it.

If there's any chance you'll shoot long, sleek 180+ grain bullets, an 8" twist is a safe bet. If you'll always use 162gr bullets and under, then a 9" is fine. An 8" twist is my default when ordering 7mm barrels these days.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
to be honest you could just buy a new Savage 7mm-08 in Savage`s best S.S. /plastic stock rifle but a picatinny scope mnts and a nice leupold scope or a Nightforce scope and enjoy that rifle as much as a custom or even a New custom Remington from the factory ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You should probably pull this pic. There’s a tool that always has a remark when people post 3 shot groups. He claims 3 shot groups prove nothing and are a waste of time, especially when they are not on target.

He’ll probably question why you’ve never entered it in his beloved challenge as well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, thanks for your detailed and thoughtful post.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's my 7mm-08 "build," which doesn't match many Campfire members' idea of build but still shoots very well. It's a tang-safety Ruger 77 Ultralight, the model with the very slim 18" barrel, and a very slim walnut stock with a black forend tip. It was rebarreled with a 22", #1 contour Douglas and the forend channel opened up just enough to float the barrel. I didn't have it done, just picked it up on the Campfire Classifieds, if I recall correctly for around $400.

A good friend's daughter was having poor luck getting her first big game animal, partly because she works at a hospital in Missoula and doesn't have much time to hunt except close to town on weekends, which ain't great. She also didn't have a rifle she really liked, so I had her shoot several of mine, and she picked the 7-08 as her favorite, and loaded some ammo with both 139 Hornady Spire Points and 140 Barnes TTSX's. It shoots both into tiny groups, and last fall she and her dad came east to hunt a ranch I know in the Gallatin Valley. Phoebe got her first deer with one perfectly placed Hornady at 160 yards.

By then I needed the Ruger back for an article, but had acquired some other rifles she might like. She picked a synthetic-stocked .308, and I loaned it to her permanently. I'll probably hunt with the 7-08 this fall, even though the stock is wood and the action isn't blueprinted and pillar-bedded. It weighs exactly 7-1/2 pounds with a 10-ounce 6x scope, which isn't too much of a burden even for an older hunter.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

There are two downsides.

1) Faster twist rates are harder on lightly-constructed varmint bullets like the Hornady SPSX, which can cause them to come apart after exiting the barrel and before reaching the target. With a little thought put into bullet selection, this is a non-issue.

2) Faster rotational velocity accentuates the imbalance in non-concentric bullets. Any flaws inside the bullet, and a faster twist rate will increase nutation, causing a slight decrease in accuracy. Up until about 10 years ago, bullet making processes were capable of good bullets most of the time, but if you were after absolute accuracy, you didn't spin those imperfect bullets any faster than necessary. With today's quality of manufacturing, tolerances in bullet production are tight enough that bullet concentricity is very good, so this is nearly a non-issue except for the very most discerning of shooters (high-level SRBR competitors). That means that it's a non-issue for 99.5% of shooters and even 95% of rifle competitors.

Bullet and barrel manufacturing technology has changed the paradigm with twist rates. Within reason, faster is better for most people, with no significant downsides.

Here's an example of the accuracy that a good 8" twist 7mm barrel and 180gr bullets are capable of. It may not win any SRBR competitions, but it works for what I do.

[Linked Image]

LIKE!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SLM
You should probably pull this pic. There’s a tool that always has a remark when people post 3 shot groups. He claims 3 shot groups prove nothing and are a waste of time, especially when they are not on target.

He’ll probably question why you’ve never entered it in his beloved challenge as well.

[Linked Image]

Laffin here.......

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nice muledeer! Thanks for the input. I wont be using anything over a 140 for hunting so looks like i may go with a bartlein 2b or 3 in 9 twist. Undecided on action still but looking into bighorn?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 68 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.