Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Does anyone here know of a gunsmith who uses the maker's mark "GLS"?

I have a Springfield Model 1922 that has been heavily customized - converted to centerfire, rebarreled and chambered for a .22 Hornet, with a banded hamp front sight with a hood and a single standing blade rear signt. There is a custom stock in the classic tradition with a steel grip cap, checkered steel butt plate with widow's peak and a black (not sure of material) forend tip. It's a 5-shot repeater with a slanted magazine fitted inside a hinged magazine release. It's really a nice rifle. If I had to guess, based up the very little use the rifle exhibits, I'd say it's likely to have been done post WWII and perhaps far more recently.

The only marks for a maker I can locate on either the wood or the metal are the initials "GLS" which are stamped in the inletting between the recoil lug and the magazine well.

I've checked with the only active ACGG member (Gene Simillion) who might have these initials. The mark is not his. Another suggestion was Gary Stiles, a former ACGG member who passed away in 2012.

Do any of you know who that mark might have been used by?

Thanks.

Rem

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Pictures of the rifle would be very helpful.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The answer turns out to be Gary Stiles, a now-deceased gunmaker from western PA. Dennis Smith (the Stock Doctor) responded to an inquiry I'd sent to ACGG.

John:

I'll try to get some photos this weekend.

Rem

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I got a chuckle imagining the mark stood for "Good Luck with Sale". grin

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yondering:

That made me laugh.

I got this rifle for less than a standard 1922 in good condition. I don't know what it would cost to duplicate today, but I doubt you'd get much change from $5,000, if any. Most ACGG stock makers today start their walnut rifle stocks at $3,000 and some are a lot more.

The LGS where I purchased had it on consignment. Neither the consignor nor the LGS knew anything about it. Apparently they hadn't pulled the stock and so didn't find the marking, which was concealed under the action.

I think that for once I actually got a bargain.

Rem

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought all custom stockmakers drank Makers Mark

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Remington40x
The answer turns out to be Gary Stiles, a now-deceased gunmaker from western PA. Dennis Smith (the Stock Doctor) responded to an inquiry I'd sent to ACGG.

John:

I'll try to get some photos this weekend.

Rem

"Gary Lee Stiles, 63, of Homer City died Thursday, October 18, 2012 at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. Gary was born on May 23, 1949 in Indiana. He lived in Homer City all of his life. Gary was the son of Ralph and Twila (Wissinger) Stiles of Homer City. Gary attended Laura Lamar High School.

Gary was a talented Gunsmith and owned and operated Stiles Custom Guns. His work could be seen in various magazines including Guns, Rifle and Field and Stream. He was a life and benefactor member of the NRA and the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. He was also a member of the Indiana Bow and Gun Club. Gary was also the owner and operator of Stiles Farm and Auto in Homer City.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by his wife the former Beverly Kromer; his son Michael, of Homer City; sister Linda Bufagna of Dilltown; stepdaughter Aimee Burnwatt and husband Joshua of Tennessee ; niece Bridget Bufagna and her fianc BJ Robertson of Dilltown and many other relatives and close friends. He is also survived by his beloved dog Jackie.

He will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him and by all of his buddies.

He was preceded in death by his beloved daughter Kimberly Stiles who passed away in 1990.

Friends will be received Sunday from 2-4 and 6-8 PM at the C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City. Funeral Services will be held Monday at 11:00 AM at the funeral home with Rev. Joseph Stains, officiating. Interment to follow in the Oakland Cemetery, Indiana."

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like you got a REALLY nice rifle at a good price. Love to see pictures.
Bob

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Photos of the Gary Stiles Rifle (I hope - this photo thing usually beats me). Sorry about the quality, but I'm not very good with a cell phone camera:

The "GLS" stamping is between the magazine well and the inlet for the recoil lug in the first photo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0rPbP69p/1922-3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/KkrjtbDk/1922-4.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Wt8t324x/1922-5.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/cK3r4wKc/1922-6.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fVpVNBbL/1922-7.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/LYMhq5LF/1922-8.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Yv5CV0XL/1922-9.jpg[/img]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
And the last photo:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Remington40x; 07/29/19.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
That's a gorgeous rifle. Very tastefully executed. I agree with the assessment that it would cost at least $5k to duplicate that stock today. Check the Magazine Rifles page at Hallowell's to get an idea of its value.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/30/19.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Okie John:

My guess is that in today's market I'd be lucky to get $3,000 for it. But it's not likely to be for sale anytime soon.

Right now, it's the nicest rifle I own (although I do have a couple of British shotguns and one Italian shotgun that I'd rank higher than this rifle).

Rem

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Springfield customs should NEVER have Allen heads any where on the rifle !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,272
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.