Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One thing about Gunner. He doesn't fart around with Casper Milquetoast loads. Just sayin'.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
One thing about Gunner. He doesn't fart around with Casper Milquetoast loads. Just sayin'.

That’s fer sure!!!! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well just got a text from the buck assassin! Another big 8, boom flop!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/28/19.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He's on a roll with that Hawken. If he is not careful, he won't have any tags left for the Sharps when the regular gun season opens. He's finding out that the 58 Hawken is THE deer killer, and swats them right and proper with a patched round ball. You shoot, they go right down , and don't get up. Congratulations again.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

That’s fer sure!!!! 🤣

LOL, Sharpsguy knows the particulars of my 58 better than me, it was purpose built for a 140 grain charge of black powder, shoots straight to the sights.

And Thanks again for posting the pic KW, I appreciate it, this buck came along side me as I was working my way back down the mountain into a South wind, I had went up to look for that black bear, I whistle stopped this buck at 22 yards and shot him in the lungs instead of the shoulder on purpose, he still dropped ; ] he broke off one tine thrashing about, i'll go back up in better light and find it.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
He's on a roll with that Hawken. If he is not careful, he won't have any tags left for the Sharps when the regular gun season opens. He's finding out that the 58 Hawken is THE deer killer, and swats them right and proper with a patched round ball. You shoot, they go right down , and don't get up. Congratulations again.

Thanks Sharpsguy, and you're exactly right, on both counts, I need to whoa up a bit.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My poor old gimp right shoulder can’t hardly tolerate them big loads anymore. frown

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, but the heck of it is, 70 grains of 2f and a patched round ball puts the big hurt on them inside of 100 yards with NO recoil. You just can't reach them as far with the light load, but it kills them just as dead.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go Gunner! That 58 seems like it magical for you this year.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah, but the heck of it is, 70 grains of 2f and a patched round ball puts the big hurt on them inside of 100 yards with NO recoil. You just can't reach them as far with the light load, but it kills them just as dead.

So true Sharpsguy! 70 of FFFG. Is generally my magical load in all my .50’s. Heck I have even been known, on occasions , to shoot it in .54’s and .62’s. In my fusils, all 20 bore, it works well with shot and ball and has accounted for numerous pigs and deer. I can’t see well past 100, wait reality check, past 70 yards to honestly make an ethical shot. So 70, or even 75, works well for me.

The last pig I shot was like 15 yards from me. 😁

Founder

WS

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My poor old gimp right shoulder can’t hardly tolerate them big loads anymore. frown

A surgically placed 40 or 45 going faster will get it done too Sir. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Way to go Gunner! That 58 seems like it magical for you this year.

Thanks Big B, just hitting them a little hard over a weekend, they're always out there for the taking, I just like getting close and letting them walk most times, but, I screwed up and started this thread, I had to put something in it! shocked grin

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gunner500

A surgically placed 40 or 45 going faster will get it done too Sir. cool

I’ve taken several deer and numerous pigs with a single .395 RB and 50 grains of FFFG! wink

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, I had no idea my little 36 cal round ball squirrel rifle was such a meanie till Sharpsguy clued me in, he said you damn sure better head shoot that squirrel if you want to eat any of it ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

So true Sharpsguy! 70 of FFFG. Is generally my magical load in all my .50’s. Heck I have even been known, on occasions , to shoot it in .54’s and .62’s. In my fusils, all 20 bore, it works well with shot and ball and has accounted for numerous pigs and deer. I can’t see well past 100, wait reality check, past 70 yards to honestly make an ethical shot. So 70, or even 75, works well for me.

The last pig I shot was like 15 yards from me. 😁

I shoot 70 grains of FF in my .54 with a PRB, works okay.

Still looking for that DRT result on deer that I think I should get at least once in a while.

Do you guys try to break bone with these PRB on deer or just go for a double lung hit?

I have shot maybe a half a dozen deer with my 54 and while it kills them they still seem to go 50-75 yards.

Should I jump my 70 grain load up to 85-90 grains for more velocity which in turn yields more energy?

My 1:66 shoots good at 85-87 grains I just like the non-existent recoil of 70 grains.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/31/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ive always tried for some bone in my shots. Sometimes they bounce around and do weird things tho. I don’t think I’ve ever had a deer run. All been DRT. Last deer I hit with my .50 PBR and 70 was a boomflop at about 35 yards. He was walking straight at me. I put sights somewhere around that white spot on his brisket. I believe right above it. Did about same thing to a dink spike with a 54 PBR. Difference was it went straight down his backbone. Kinda filleted his backstraps out.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
10-4.

I think of the deer I have killed with it only 1 had been hit in bone, it was quartering to and ran maybe 20 yards.

Did have 1 that I thought was broadside and ran maybe 75 yards. Once I got to her and was field dressing her I realized I hit her just in front of the left ham and the ball was lodged in front of the opposite shoulder at the neck junction. No idea why I couldn't tell she was broadside.

Others have just been broadside, tight to the shoulder lung shots. May have to start trying to get at least 1 if not both shoulders.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's the ball from the doe. Maybe a 30 yard shot.

Weighs 218 as it sits. That is a nickle for comparison.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temporary hosting photo

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
My Navy Arms “Hawken Hunter” .58 Cal in this Thread, is now in the Classifieds Fella’s, it would Make Somebody an Awesome BIG Thumper, You won’t find a nicer Rifle, This one is Truly like Brand New 👍

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.