Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone ever go through the process? Not so easy to do.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which two churches are merging?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It was a PITA when all Lutheran wanted to. But the MS stayed out. IIRC the LCA and ALC merged but MS could not agree to all theology. Which is not wrong, just how it went.

Churches are much to political if thats the right word....

This thing is pretty simple, Christianity. But people have to complicate it will all kinds of nuances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You are spot on rost. Man kind make everything hard.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone ever go through the process? Not so easy to do.

Wabigoon,

I work with churches all day, everyday. Nothing about churches is easy.

What are you trying to accomplish with the merger? What difficulties are you running into?

I am very interested in your experience!

Thank You!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They are closing quite a few rural UMCs here in N.C. The district closes them without negotiation and directs the members to the UMC that the DISTRICT favors. It looks to be backfiring on them, as it should. Lots of corruption and behind the scenes strategy. These little churches get shot clean out the saddle before they know anything is going on. The members tend to buck the system and go the opposite direction, from the direction of the district. It isn’t a pretty thing to watch happen. This is playing out as we speak in our community.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, are you talking two different denominations merging or two churches of the same denomination? The church that a friend's mother attends merged with another of the same denomination. They built (overbuilt - "You always wish you had built bigger the first time!"} a new church upon which they are unable to keep up the mortgage.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never been through a merger, been through a split though, no fun whatsoever.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who was right?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Honest question from one who really has no opinion on the matter, and got hammered watching the debate tonight.

Why must one go to church to worship God/Christ/Holy trinity/ghost or whatever? I mean y'all can read I assume, why does someone gotta read it to you at an appointed time on Sunday? I miss the rules that were handed out or something?

OK, I am done stirring chit up. I'll leave this out there: On the day of rest, I'm frigging resting. I want to worship, I'll be good and rested when I wake up. Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm not disparaging any religion. Honest questions, from someone who had to go to early Sunday service, simply because it was shorter. And later found out my parents did not truly believe.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Who was right?

Impossible to answer.

Realistically, differences of opinion are inevitable and often legitimate, I just wish people would be honest and above board about it all. (And that probably isn't realistic)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like he’s talking about the Methodist decisions this year and split from UMC. Some churches are finding out they don’t own their property, etc. it’s held by them for the interest of the UMC. I’m fairly active in local UMC but have been blessed with some abilities to personally support Youth Trips, etc. so without being an official member get to cast aspersions from the couch.

I understand that they sided with their growing community on key issues. I understand they don’t want to split the larger church on ideological grounds if that’s the right phrase. One might argue they don’t want to lose 50% of their circle of influence. I don’t support the parent structure pulling the “We own your physical property” card.

It’s not a popular theory here but I’m of the stance if I can’t reach a group and others can I don’t judge. I’ve been the Recipient of Grace way beyond what I deserve and don’t deny anyone else the same. It’s not my place to rank sin and I’ve no right to do so. It’s all one root sin anyway. I like what others have said. We try to over complicate the simple. Or as I’ve recently heard Rationalize = Rational lies of which I’m extremely guilty.

Of course, ideology is probably a first world problem. With the benefit of multiple viewpoints based on experience and somewhat fortunate, or at least a semi-stabile Financial situation, I don’t feel I am experienced enough in the hardships to say what the path looks like. I hope your part is illuminated but regardless of how it plays out remember one thing.

Your church is the people and not the place. If your not focused on making Disciples that make Disciples your potentially just part of a social club. Easy to talk to, harder to hold that standard in a non-judge mental, empathetic way.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Honest question from one who really has no opinion on the matter, and got hammered watching the debate tonight.

Why must one go to church to worship God/Christ/Holy trinity/ghost or whatever? I mean y'all can read I assume, why does someone gotta read it to you at an appointed time on Sunday? I miss the rules that were handed out or something?

OK, I am done stirring chit up. I'll leave this out there: On the day of rest, I'm frigging resting. I want to worship, I'll be good and rested when I wake up. Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm not disparaging any religion. Honest questions, from someone who had to go to early Sunday service, simply because it was shorter. And later found out my parents did not truly believe.

Apologies in advance if I screw up this explanation. You ever notice when your around certain people your habits and speech reflects them? Could be in just a minor, shared experiences kind of way. You surround yourself with those who share an interest or passion. Hunting clubs, shooting, etc. The “Word” is a map and a mirror not a lens. As soon as some realize that it could reverse the current course. It’s an impossible standard that shows the need for a Savior. You don’t attend church, support charities, etc. for others. You do it as a reflection and in response to the grace you’ve received. It’s a response to a gift, not a fearful obligation. I hope I’ve done some justice to the explanation but fear I haven’t. I tend to over communicate and yet not explain.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Put shorter and directly, if your not offended by anything you read in the Bible you might be worshiping your own ideals and not God’s scripture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Great question, considering that you are drunk and have mental trauma from the debate. Corporate worship, i.e., going to church, is one part of living a Christ centered life. Your daily devotions and prayer life will be more beneficial than 90 minutes at a convenient time once a week. That must have been very painful to find out your parents don't believe. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a good many years, we attended a UMC church, even though I am Baptist and never joined the Methodist church. My wife was raised a Methodist, and besides, it's not your denomination that will get you into Heaven. One woman tried to run the church, partly because that's how she was, and partly because her ancestors had donated the land on which the church was built.

For years, the church was on a circuit, sharing a pastor with another church. This is a Methodist thing, and has both it's good points and bad ones. Anyway, as church attendance kept dropping, the UMC officials suggested the 2 churches merge, but both churches rejected it. The church we attended was in very good financial shape, with a lot of money in the bank, and a very nice building and other property, while the other church was not in either good financial condition, nor had a nice building.

There was a lot of suspicion on the part of members that the UMC was trying do something in the hopes that one or both of the churches would close, and they could then get the money that would be there as a result. The 2 churches then voted to go their separate ways, and do their own thing. The church we were attending is still shrinking in attendance, while the other is growing. We left that church because of the turmoil and the way certain members were acting, and then after seeing the direction the UMC appears to be heading, we are attending the Southern Baptist church that I have been a member of all my life.

I feel somewhat sorry for the small churches, as they have a tough row to hoe. Church attendance is dropping, and the small ones are hit the hardest. The UMC has not helped matters any by the way they're acting, with what appears to be a split coming at some point in time. The smaller rural churches are the ones who are usually the most conservative, and are most likely the ones in the worst financial condition, and therefore, will probably be the hardest hit. Most of the time, people attend a particular church because they feel in tune with the way the other people in that church feel, both in a spiritual sense, and in a sense of community. I would think it would be very difficult to merge 2 churches into one, and to believe everything would go smoothly. But, it might be practical to do so, as far as keeping the doors of a local church open. I guess the hard part would be in deciding which one closed it's doors, and which one remained open.

I hope things work out well for your church Wabigoon.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
After living through a church kicking 3 pastors out and a new church forming from that episode I’d say run far away; if it’s a couple of church congregations there will likely be a lot of settling pains. If denominations, I’d suggest going the route that preserves a proper view of justification, law and gospel. Either way there will be a lot of growing pains and hurt feelings within the groups involved.

Last edited by IZH27; 07/31/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, our little Reformed Church of America congregation shut down a couple years ago. A poor decision by the pastor regarding one of our members lead to the church's demise. My wife and I have been looking for a church with the same belief structure we have, and have yet to find a good match. I hate church shopping. These break ups and mergers are never easy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They are closing quite a few rural UMCs here in N.C. The district closes them without negotiation and directs the members to the UMC that the DISTRICT favors. It looks to be backfiring on them, as it should. Lots of corruption and behind the scenes strategy. These little churches get shot clean out the saddle before they know anything is going on. The members tend to buck the system and go the opposite direction, from the direction of the district. It isn’t a pretty thing to watch happen. This is playing out as we speak in our community.

A question; Do the churches, the real estate, belong to the community or do the belong to the the state national organization?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pete, at our meeting last night, it was explained to us by the district superintend and this is Iowa, and it may be different in different states with the United Methodist church, real-estate, and other assets are "held in trust" by the local church. Held in trust but owned by the head body.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.