Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do I need to see .223 holes in paper at 200 yards with good eyes.

There is a 18-36x50mm Barksa Blackhawk that lists just under $100.

Thank you in advance

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I doubt the optical quality would be good enough in that one.
Could always use hi-viz impact targets like shoot and see

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Barska is another way to spell junk.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use a cheapie $100 Bushnell..
If you shoot farther out, just buy some Shoot-n-See targets...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d buy the Barska for my kids as a telescope to play with.
Actually, I wouldn’t. You’d have to pay me to buy it

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This has been asked and discussed here repeatedly. While you need the best scope you can afford, there is no magic threshold for "seeing ___cal. bullet holes at___". It is highly dependent on light and contrast.

The best suggestion so far is to use Shoot-N-C targets. Although a bit pricey, you can paste the heck out of them with repair dots and make them last a long time. You can buy a lot of Shoot-N-Cs for the additional cost of a better scope.

I make many of my own targets using white poster board from Walmart. You can stick pasters on it, or as I do get target stamps and an ink pad. I got mine from Sinclair years ago. On our range at 200 yards , I can see .223 bullet holes in the white board with my rifle scope

Most commercial targets are too cluttered, made for visual appeal to the customer, like fishing lures.

To add a perspective, I shoot competition with a .22 at 200 yards in two different events on two ranges, one facing north and the other south, red or black bulls. I can't reliably spot bullet holes in the bull even with a 20-60 Zeiss. Depends on light conditions. Did I mention mirage?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
9x per every 50 yds. works for me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Paul39
This has been asked and discussed here repeatedly. While you need the best scope you can afford, there is no magic threshold for "seeing ___cal. bullet holes at___". It is highly dependent on light and contrast.

The best suggestion so far is to use Shoot-N-C targets. Although a bit pricey, you can paste the heck out of them with repair dots and make them last a long time. You can buy a lot of Shoot-N-Cs for the additional cost of a better scope.

I make many of my own targets using white poster board from Walmart. You can stick pasters on it, or as I do get target stamps and an ink pad. I got mine from Sinclair years ago. On our range at 200 yards , I can see .223 bullet holes in the white board with my rifle scope

Most commercial targets are too cluttered, made for visual appeal to the customer, like fishing lures.

To add a perspective, I shoot competition with a .22 at 200 yards in two different events on two ranges, one facing north and the other south, red or black bulls. I can't reliably spot bullet holes in the bull even with a 20-60 Zeiss. Depends on light conditions. Did I mention mirage?

Paul

That is some good advice there. A $1.50 poster board from Walmart and a marker will get you a lot of target that is pretty easy to spot holes in, regardless of distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a decent quality spotter on a budget we suggest the Konus KonuSpot-70 20x-60x70 #7121B for only $149.99, including a Table Top Tripod, Camera Adapter, Carrying Case, Lens Cleaning Cloth and Smart Phone Adapter.

It'll get the job done for sure

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
That is some good advice there. A $1.50 poster board from Walmart and a marker will get you a lot of target that is pretty easy to spot holes in, regardless of distance.

Actually, the basic white poster board at Walmart has been $.33 forever. 10 packs for $2.97. This cheaper stuff is actually best for targets because it has a matte finish, while the more expensive versions have at least one shiny side.

Part of the "secret" to economy with Shoot-N-Cs is sticking the targets on the white board, The more durable backing lets you keep repairing the target.

Good tip on the marker too. I like red.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, at the risk of being verbally abused, I have a Barska spotting scope. Yes, it is garbage, but I can see bullet holes to 300 yards. Don’t take that as a suggestion to buy one, but it is marginally useful. I’ll get a good one some day.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought a hundred pack of 8” adhesive round shoot and see at a gun show last weekend for $14.99. Work great for my needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Konus spotter that Doug from Camaraland suggested is pretty nice for the money. I bought the exact same one from Doug for my Grandson's(age 25) Christmas present and got to use it at the range.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Light conditions and mirage have a lot to so with seeing detail at distance, but generally, I can see .223 holes easily at 200 yards with my Cabelas branded Meopta made 20-70x spotter. I got it on sale but it was still over $1000. Good spotters are not cheap even if you get a deal.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I purchased one for seeing holes at 200 and casual wildlife viewing about a year ago when the wind blew my old range spotter off a bench and smashed it. I purchased a vortex diamondback in the $400 range, 20-60 x 80 mm obj . Not a meopta or lieca but works pretty good. Also, has a unlimited warranty, so if I drop it or the wind get a hold of it , send it in and you get a new one. I am not a big fan of their scopes or range finders, but don't mind their binocs or spotters for knockabout use. Also, if I leave it in my vehicle and some a-hole steals it I am not out 2 grand. If I was going on a expensive hunt I would up grade.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of these is cheaper than a spotting scope and can be used out to a mile.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-156726-Ballistic-Precision-Target/dp/B01B7OYN1Y

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
One of these is cheaper than a spotting scope and can be used out to a mile.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-156726-Ballistic-Precision-Target/dp/B01B7OYN1Y

My luck is that's the first thing that would get shot......

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Ask any contractor friends for some old home building plans and use the back side of them.
The stick on dots or a Magic marker for making Xs to shoot at works fine and you cant beat the cost.
As for the spotting scope, certainly a new high end scope is a desirable thing to own for a serious shooter/hunter.
But what happens to many high end scopes when the owner dies or no longer needs it?
I can tell you what happens with many of them, they get sold for a fraction of the original cost on EBay.
In PA virtually all serious long range hunters use large binoculars mounted on tripods for glassing and shooting while hunting.
For about the last 40 years or even more, the vast majority have been using 2 spotting scopes mounted in machined adjustable brackets. Yet still today, even with all the great scope choices available, the most popular set in use by far is a pair of the older Bushnell 60mm objective Bushnell Spacemaster scopes. And you will find them on EBay in good clean condition for about $100 quite often.
I have bought Kowa TSN 77 mm scopes in mint condition for under $400.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
instead of using white paper for targets, head to the dollar store and buy the brightest green paper you can. I found it's easier to see holes at a distance. YMMV.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erich
The Konus spotter that Doug from Camaraland suggested is pretty nice for the money. I bought the exact same one from Doug for my Grandson's(age 25) Christmas present and got to use it at the range.

For the use of the OP it is the right spotter and not expensive

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

502 members (219DW, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.