Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Don't know about a 10 iron but dad always said if you were caught out on the links during a thunderstorm to hold up a 1 iron because even God couldn't hit it.

Your dad was Lee Trevino? My apologies to Morewood; I hadn't read the whole thread before posting this.

Last edited by 5sdad; 07/30/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Did you Google it? 😁

Yes I did. Could not find a definitive answer. One golf forum said they are the same, but I ask why did I receive both with the set?

Your pic could be deceiving but the the #10 looks to be fatter/heavier and a different angle where the shaft meets the head. Also the face on the 10 looks to be a bit wider in the pic. Why both, don’t know. Why play pasture pool, don’t know. What I do know is that the wedge looks used and the 10 doesn’t. Hint maybe. 😀

I haven't used the 10 because of the 14 club rule and I always use the PW when I would use a 10. But now, I am rethinking this, and short of taking them both down to the pro shop and have them measure the loft, I figured someone here may know.

Do it like we do it with rifles...take them to the practice range and hit them, and see which one you'd rather have when a 9-iron is just a bit too much.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Maybe this offers some insight. Just by how clubs are numbered, it seems logical that it falls between a 9 -iron and a PW. A Gap Wedge maybe?

https://www.answers.com/Q/Is_the_No_10_Iron_a_Pitch_or_Sand_Wedge

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ÎŒÎżÎ»áœŒÎœ λαÎČέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Do it like we do it with rifles...take them to the practice range and hit them, and see which one you'd rather have when a 9-iron is just a bit too much.

When I had my private range I used to play pasture pool by setting golf balls from 50 to 300 yards and shooting them. Bottom hit out of a 22LR at 50 is an impressive chip shot. Bottom shots with centerfires @150 were awesome drives. 😀

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/30/19.

Swifty
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It doesn’t really matter what you call them, the loft is what matters and that changes. The pitching wedges used today are about the same loft 8 irons were 25 years ago.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/30/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Maybe this offers some insight. Just by how clubs are numbered, it seems logical that it falls between a 9 -iron and a PW. A Gap Wedge maybe?

https://www.answers.com/Q/Is_the_No_10_Iron_a_Pitch_or_Sand_Wedge

Excellent. Good find.

What is a 10 iron golf club?

A 10 iron is usually found in Callaway golf sets of irons, it is basically a pitching wedge.

I have an old set of Yonex ADX irons and it has 3-10 iron with P and S wedge.

The standard wedge degrees are as follows:Flop Wedge-64 degrees

Lob Wedge-60 degrees

Sand Wedge-56 degrees

Gap Wedge-52 degrees

Pitching Wedge-49/48 degrees

I believe the 10 iron is around 44-45 degree. But the better question is do you need one in your bag?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is amazing! We've gone three pages (by my screen) and have yet to hear from anyone denouncing golfers, golf, and everything connected with it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It doesn’t really matter what you call them, the loft is what matters and that changes. The pitching wedges used today are about the same loft 8 irons were 25 years ago.

Huh? I've been playing golf longer than 25 years and I've seen no huge difference in 8 iron loft over the years.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This is amazing! We've gone three pages (by my screen) and have yet to hear from anyone denouncing golfers, golf, and everything connected with it.

The only thing stupider than a golfer is a bicyclist and the only thing worse than those losers is anyone shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Huh? I've been playing golf longer than 25 years and I've seen no huge difference in 8 iron loft over the years.

https://pluggedingolf.com/the-evolution-of-iron-lofts/

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Thanks, JoeBob.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad bought his first set of golf clubs from a coworker in '63 or '64 and had irons 2 thru 10 and woods 1 (driver) thru 4 + a putter. The local public course we had didn't allow players under 12 or 13 to play, so I had to wait a year or two before playing. When I did start, dad just split his set with me - he took the "odds" which left me with the "evens". A new putter and a cheap bag and off we went. So, I grew up using a 10 iron. Haven't played in about 10 years, but never was able to hit a driver - got a driving iron (1) instead,

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a set long ago that I think had a 10 iron, but I don’t recall whether there was a PW included (I don’t think it did). It was an older set and back then the lofts weren’t as strong as they are today.

Todays stronger lofts stroke the egos of some golfers making them think they’re hitting the ball farther.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry 5 wedges, 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60.

My 9i is 40.

I refer to these as Approach, Pitching, Gap, Sand, and Loft wedges.

It’s not all about loft either. Might wanna check the bounce, although I would expect bounce differences to become more useful in the higher lofted wedges.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Swifty52
The pitching wedge is the lowest-lofted club typically called a wedge. It lies on the cusp between the numbered irons and the wedges (in fact it is sometimes labelled the "10-iron"), and is useful for a variety of short shots from firm or semi-soft lies. The traditional pitching wedge had a loft of about 50-52°, but the "de-lofting" of modern cavity back irons including the pitching wedge has resulted in a loft range centering on 48°.

Except for the lob wedge, gap wedge and sand wedge.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have a set on Yonex irons that came with both a PW and a 10 iron. They look the same. Any difference you know of in loft?

[Linked Image]

from that picture the 10 looks wider on the bottom therefore has more bounce and loft, would likely be between the P and S wedge.

My Ping set has P, U, S and L wedges. Full swing I hit them 125, 105, 90 and 60, I only use the P and S in play, my shots aren't consistent enough to play that may wedges.

Probably the 10 is the same as my U wedge.

Kent

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Don't know about a 10 iron but dad always said if you were caught out on the links during a thunderstorm to hold up a 1 iron because even God couldn't hit it.

Never seen a 1 iron either, but I've heard that said about the 2 iron.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My high school golf team buddy, who is still a 70's shooter, came over to the house this morning and I showed him my clubs and he said he could tell, just by looking, that my PW had more loft than the 10 iron, so I am going to put it in my bag and play it. I'm going to remove the 3 iron.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Morewood
Interesting. Thanks, JoeBob.

That’s why people today commonly carry three or four wedges when in the past they might have a pitching and sand wedge. Lofts in all the clubs have gotten stronger so there are gaps on the bottom that have to be filled with wedges.

That’s also a reason average golfers can’t hit long irons anymore. Today’s three iron ain’t too far off that one iron that used to be so difficult to hit.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/31/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't know, never played, always thought the game of golf looked a little gay.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labĂ© skĂœla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.