Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Yeah.... but it was only a love seat.....

[Linked Image]

Yeah we take our couches up there too...

[Linked Image]

Other direction from the same spot:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 07/18/19.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice photos there Yonderling. The Pacific Northwest sure has some great scenery!

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few photos of a tiny section:

https://www.summitpost.org/object_l...p;orderby=object_scores.score&page=1

Steph Abegg's site will educate you on what to expect in attempting ventures in this tiny area.

Other areas can be viewed on summitpost...even mountains in your local region.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The standard classics may not have the brightest glass, but their resolution is extremely good, and the ability to handle adverse atmospheric conditions is phenomenal.

IME the fixed 6 is brighter and clarity beats the 2 fixed 10s I've had. For a dedicated hunting rig I will take the 6 every time.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have many of each model, and I would agree that the 6x is brighter, but the clarity in both is very, very good. I would also take the 6x for a dedicated hunting rig, and the 10x every time for target use or for a dedicated open-country rifle.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have many of each model, and I would agree that the 6x is brighter, but the clarity in both is very, very good. I would also take the 6x for a dedicated hunting rig, and the 10x every time for target use or for a dedicated open-country rifle.

The 10s I had still have one I bought over 10 years ago. My fixed 6 is 3 years. I wonder if glass on the newer 10s is better than the older ones? I might have to try another 10. Could be my eyes or I picked the wrong run of 10s to buy from

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 07/29/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I only have one 6x and one 10x, but would not consider the brightness or clarity of either one "very very good". They are perfectly fine in bright light, but in my experience are a step behind even a VX-2 in low light, like cloudy Northwest evenings. In that respect they are acceptable, but not excellent. Obviously these scopes have other things going for them, but IMO the glass is not their strong point.

I should add that my 1-4x was in the same ballpark, while the 3-9x HD is better but still not Leupold quality glass in low light (for my sample of 1).

Last edited by Yondering; 07/29/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
“Glass”, is entirely overrated in riflescopes. They’re aiming devices.... not observation devices. The clarity and resolution needs to be good enough for steering bullets.... not counting gnat nuthairs. I think VX2 level glass is a good comparison to the Classic Fixed SS scopes.... and that’s more than adequate for all my hunting needs. The HD series has excellent glass, and is noticeably better than the classics.

I’ve been shooting 10x and 12x Super Snipers since LONG before they became popular here.... and long before the advent of the Mil-Quad reticle. I’ve used them all over the West, including a lot of time in PNW rainforests.... and I’ve never wanted/needed “better glass”.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While the brightness and contrast may not appear all that impressive, the resolution of the 6x and 10x, especially in poor atmospheric conditions, has outpaced plenty of scopes costing a lot more, even up to 10x more than the SS classics. IME/IMO the 6x and 10x have VX2-VX3 quality glass (but I would argue that they have better resolution than the Leups), while the 3-9xHD outpaces the VX3 of similar mag range.

Everyone's eyes are different, but that's my opinion and that of some of my shooting buds.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A couple of weekends ago I was talking with a younger fellow at the range. We were talking about scopes for different purposes. he said something about needing more magnification than he had to "really home in" on target. One of the rifles I was shooting that day had 6x SWFA on it. I set the parallax adjustment to 300 yards, and without telling him it was 6x I handed him the rifle and got him to focus the reticle to his eyes. Then I had him look at some stuff on the 300 yard target board. When I told him it was "only 6x" he was impressed.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The center of the center is the center. My buddy used to say he needed “more x’s” then complain about not being able to get the crosshairs to “settle”, the being able to see his heartbeat in the scope.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While the brightness and contrast may not appear all that impressive, the resolution of the 6x and 10x, especially in poor atmospheric conditions, has outpaced plenty of scopes costing a lot more, even up to 10x more than the SS classics. IME/IMO the 6x and 10x have VX2-VX3 quality glass (but I would argue that they have better resolution than the Leups), while the 3-9xHD outpaces the VX3 of similar mag range.

Everyone's eyes are different, but that's my opinion and that of some of my shooting buds.

In comparing the glass on my SS 6 to a leupold VX2 I thought the SS 6 had noticeably better resolution as well

Trystan

Trystan

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

We'll agree to disagree on that. Side by side comparisons of both don't show me what you're saying; I'm seeing the opposite, particularly in low light. I have excellent vision so that's not the issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can live with that. Again, people's eyes are different. Perceived optical performance is a much more subjective topic than something like mechanical performance. But keep in mind that I'm basing my opinion off of many samples of 6x, 10x, and 3-9x SS scopes, and several VX2 2-7x, 3-9x, and a couple of VX3 2.5-8x scopes. I've used and compared them all in daylight, low light, heavy mirage, clear air, rain, fog, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a lot of glaucoma damage to my eyes, especially my shooting eye, but to me comparing my IOR scopes to my Leupold scopes the IOR wins on resolution and the Leupold wins on color spotting.

The resolution of an IOR on 10X is the same to me as a Leupold at 12X.
The Leupold is better at finding a brown ground squirrel on brown dirt, by picking up on a few Golden stripes.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My understanding is coatings effect what people see differently. I remember a Nikon Monarch I had that was exceptional.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
“Glass”, is entirely overrated in riflescopes. They’re aiming devices.... not observation devices. The clarity and resolution needs to be good enough for steering bullets.... not counting gnat nuthairs. I think VX2 level glass is a good comparison to the Classic Fixed SS scopes.... and that’s more than adequate for all my hunting needs. The HD series has excellent glass, and is noticeably better than the classics.

I’ve been shooting 10x and 12x Super Snipers since LONG before they became popular here.... and long before the advent of the Mil-Quad reticle. I’ve used them all over the West, including a lot of time in PNW rainforests.... and I’ve never wanted/needed “better glass”.

Exactly!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

I have terrible eyes, especially the right eye, and the 10X served me well at 629 yards with the 6.5-06. .

I built another 6.5-06, lighter weight, I hope to hunt with in 2019, this one with a Rem700 action and Bartlein barrel.

This one has a VX-6HS 2x12x42...... not that I need any more than 10X.

Who makes this stock ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Who makes this stock ?

It seems I got two of them in June 2018 off Ebay, which keeps no records that long.

But in my email they were called

Kiwi Composite Carbon Fiber Stock With Recoil Pad Remington 700 LA JUN15...
Total: $518.00

I can see I drilled out the G10 pillars and made my own Aluminum pillars and epoxyed them in.

The other one, still in the wrapper with G10 like pillars, weighs 22 ounces.

If I google the info I do have, and poke around, it looks like New Zealand

https://www.hardyrifle.co.nz/stocks

That $1199 NZ looks like $885 US

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Who makes this stock ?

It seems I got two of them in June 2018 off Ebay, which keeps no records that long.

But in my email they were called

Kiwi Composite Carbon Fiber Stock With Recoil Pad Remington 700 LA JUN15...
Total: $518.00

I can see I drilled out the G10 pillars and made my own Aluminum pillars and epoxyed them in.

The other one, still in the wrapper with G10 like pillars, weighs 22 ounces.

If I google the info I do have, and poke around, it looks like New Zealand

https://www.hardyrifle.co.nz/stocks

That $1199 NZ looks like $885 US

ClarkM ,
Thanks !
That grip looks good I haven't seen any like it in mcmillan/manners/etc. ,, had a hand/arm injury couple of years ago and my right wrist isn't quite as flexible . That steeper grip would help me out .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.