Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Otter6
Since 2006 I've had 13 assorted T3s from 22/250 to 338 Win mag. Never a problem. Nuttin. All were good shooters with my hamdloads. The worst was a 30/06. It was MOA. The rest were half that or better. I can't say that I have had that much success with any other brand of big game rifle. With so little effort.

Suminabitches at photobucket stole my best pics.

Have you ever used Imgur instead of photobucket? Try it out.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
😎 I'll do that.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I have an opportunity to trade for a Tikka T3x rifle. I understand that they are considered entry level rifles. Competition for the Savage line and the Ruger American.
How good are they? Positives / Negatives......

If you can get past how goddam hideous the things are and the fact that in the unlikely event you need customer service it will likely suck, then by all means forgo offerings from companies that support your right to keep and bear arms. Chances are you will like it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have an opportunity to trade for a Tikka T3x rifle. I understand that they are considered entry level rifles. Competition for the Savage line and the Ruger American.

If you can get past how goddam hideous the things are and the fact that in the unlikely event you need customer service it will likely suck, then by all means forgo offerings from companies that support your right to keep and bear arms. Chances are you will like it.

Paul, have you had some bad experiences with them? We have sent back two Sako's and had them checked over. We had a few week turnaround on each gun. Sample of two, but I was wondering how your experience was.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those are some outstanding groups. It's stuff like that that's so impressive about the rifle.
That one painted stock sure looks familiar....
That may be my color choice if I am able to trade for the rifle. Either that, or black and silver.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The plastic bolt shroud cracked on my dads 15yr old tikka (he can break an anvil with a rubber mallet). I called Berretta and they sent a replacement for free in just a few days. Can’t ask for much better customer service than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Paul, have you had some bad experiences with them? We have sent back two Sako's and had them checked over. We had a few week turnaround on each gun. Sample of two, but I was wondering how your experience was.

Maybe things are turning around for the Beretta group. It took me a long time and a lot of frustration to get a new recoil pad for my Beretta shotgun. I have read of quite a few accounts of non-response or poor response from Tikka. It may have been 'fire member Redneck here who had serious problems getting parts. It was one of our resident 'smiths.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am switching from Remington 700 to Tikka.

What are Remington standards for me?

1. Replace the barrel with a stainless steel barrel. I have gone to a standard commercial chambering as a tight chamber throated to match a specific bullet has only led to frustration.
2. Replace the stock with a McMillan Edge stock to my LOP although some have had McMillan Remington Classic stocks at one time.
3. Replace the factory firing pin assembly with a Gre-Tan assembly
4. Replace the factory bottom metal with Williams steel bottom metal
5. Replace the factory trigger with a Jewell trigger

There is not much left of the original rifle. At the end of this journey, I still think wistfully of the Remington 700 LTRs I had that shot .308 165 grain Ballistic Tips consistently within .75 inches for 5 shot groups with the only change being the older Williams bottom metal. I sold them off to start on this journey.

I bought two Tikka T3x Lite's in .308 Winchester, one blued and one stainless, to shoot up some reloads. Fussing with them, I did not get the level of accuracy others enjoy. The barrel heated up quickly. I could seat bullets out no further with the magazines then I could with the Remingtons. The stock is just too long a LOP and did not fit me. What to do?

Solution 1: Sell the stainless steel T3X Lite and buy a stainless steel T3x CTR. Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk. Start shooting sub-MOA groups right away. Life is good. Enjoy it. I liked this solution so much I did it twice with another CTR and stock.

Solution 2: This is more involved but does not yet approach what I was putting into the Remingtons. Replace the factory barrel on the blued T3X Lite with a Solid Accuracy stainless steel varmint contour barrel (being done now). Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk for the CTR (have the stock on hand). Install Greyboe DBM in the stock so I can use AICS pattern magazines (DBM is on its way in a brown truck). When this is assembled, I expect to enjoy a very accurate rifle.

I am keeping one Remington. It shoots Hornady .308 180 grain round noses well enough to go hunt deer on occasion.

GrimJim (not quite as grim now)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just an excuse to buy more rifles.....
Feed the addiction.... Sounds like a good deal to me.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GrimJim
I am switching from Remington 700 to Tikka.

What are Remington standards for me?

1. Replace the barrel with a stainless steel barrel. I have gone to a standard commercial chambering as a tight chamber throated to match a specific bullet has only led to frustration.
2. Replace the stock with a McMillan Edge stock to my LOP although some have had McMillan Remington Classic stocks at one time.
3. Replace the factory firing pin assembly with a Gre-Tan assembly
4. Replace the factory bottom metal with Williams steel bottom metal
5. Replace the factory trigger with a Jewell trigger

There is not much left of the original rifle. At the end of this journey, I still think wistfully of the Remington 700 LTRs I had that shot .308 165 grain Ballistic Tips consistently within .75 inches for 5 shot groups with the only change being the older Williams bottom metal. I sold them off to start on this journey.

I bought two Tikka T3x Lite's in .308 Winchester, one blued and one stainless, to shoot up some reloads. Fussing with them, I did not get the level of accuracy others enjoy. The barrel heated up quickly. I could seat bullets out no further with the magazines then I could with the Remingtons. The stock is just too long a LOP and did not fit me. What to do?

Solution 1: Sell the stainless steel T3X Lite and buy a stainless steel T3x CTR. Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk. Start shooting sub-MOA groups right away. Life is good. Enjoy it. I liked this solution so much I did it twice with another CTR and stock.

Solution 2: This is more involved but does not yet approach what I was putting into the Remingtons. Replace the factory barrel on the blued T3X Lite with a Solid Accuracy stainless steel varmint contour barrel (being done now). Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk for the CTR (have the stock on hand). Install Greyboe DBM in the stock so I can use AICS pattern magazines (DBM is on its way in a brown truck). When this is assembled, I expect to enjoy a very accurate rifle.

I am keeping one Remington. It shoots Hornady .308 180 grain round noses well enough to go hunt deer on occasion.

GrimJim (not quite as grim now)

Tikkas generally dont need a custom barrel or stock to get them to shoot very well. They do, however, need some work to get them shooting 100% consistently, if you shoot more than 3 to 5 shots per group. I shoot a minumum of 10 and 20 shots per group for score, hence the reason im always stressing 10 shot groups. Generally if you are content with shooting 3 shot groups, most tikka's will shoot sub moa to moa groups. Probably 9 times out of 10.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tend not to shoot the big game rifles more than once, so 5-10 shot groups just waste components. I’ll do 3 shot strings when I practice at distance in the field but I take my time, no hot barrels.

I lean heavily on both of my .223s (one 1-10”, the other 1-8”) but I haven’t seen accuracy degrade with multiple shots. Just more dead marmots.

My brother gave me a Bell&Carlson replacement stock but it didn’t improve accuracy. It weighs more, though. Looks cool, black with red web.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shot a 12 shot group once with my T3 7-08 and 120 BT's.......

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another benefit I forgot about with Tikkas is they don’t seem to hammer primers the way my Remingtons do. I know it’s not a show stopper but the Tikkas leave nice primer strikes that don’t look like welding slag post shot on my primers.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

I hear ya, what's your choice of powder? R-15 is what I use in my 7-08 with 120 Bt.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Rem280, RL15, and Varget works well too. I don't like to send 120's much more than 3000" at the muzzle personally.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

I like your style JG - best 12 shot group I've seen posted in a long time laugh

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joshf303
Remington standards....funny...
Yeah that is funny. "Up to Remington Standards". Shyt, Daisy has higher standards than Remington.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Adding metal parts to replace the functional synthetic parts on a Tikka is like replacing the rims on your car with aftermarket ones, it may make you feel better but it doesn't add anything to the functionality. Shoot it as is and spend the "bling" money on ammo.

drover

this is the best reply yet.

unless the OP is looking for an excuse not to get the tikka because of couple plastic pieces, then so be it.
But to bring it up to the same quality as Remingtons, I'm speechless

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
After shooting quite a bit for more than 50 years I have come to like stuff that works as expected right out of the box and continues to do so in hard use. I have found that Tikkas, Glocks and SWFA scopes are consistently accurate and easily the most reliable and user friendly wares available. I have often spent more for far less and appreciate value but reliability trumps all for me.

I once had a Nula w/ a S&B on it that was amazing and made me very happy, until it was stolen from a hotel room in Anchorage. Never again.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have commented repeatedly about how well my Tikkas have served my needs over the years. They just damn well work for me. In so far as the plastic parts and pieces are concerned, I have had zero issues with them. However, I did change-out the trigger guard on my 06 with a Mountain Tactical unit to give me a little more late season glove room inside the trigger bow. CP

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 36 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.