Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have been researching them to get another one. My current Fluke is very old and is limited on functions. With all the LED's, Wi-Fi and switching transformers around in my house, I'd like to get a True RMS, LoZ model. Fluke seems to be high in comparison for what you get. Especially on their models that are made in China. I been looking at the Klein top models. I am not an electrician and do not use one everyday around here, but I do want a quality unit. Anyone use Klein ?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 Flukes, but I use all Klein hand tools for Electrical stuff, and I feed my Family with my tools. So, no direct experience with their meters but would not hesitate to trust them. They make quality stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yea, I think the Klein CL450 will suit my needs. The CL380 does DC high current . I can buy both for the price of a USA assembled Fluke.

Hard to choose.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use UEI test meters for HVAC stuff most days. It is a bit cheaper than Fluke but I have yet to have a problem.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, I ended up getting the Klein CL450 clamp meter and the MM700 multimeter. After initial inspection and testing of both , I think it was a good choice in value.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always loved watching a guy use a clamp on meter for the first time and capturing both wires and sayin - huh this is a bad line.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of flukes. They are good!

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I always loved watching a guy use a clamp on meter for the first time and capturing both wires and sayin - huh this is a bad line.

You must know a lot of bright people.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I bought 3 of my amprobe clamp-on for pennies on the dollar from pawn shops this way.

Me : May I check this meter ?
Them : Sure
Me: Finds a drill on the shelf, puts the clamp-on around the cord. Press the trigger on the drill. Hmmmm must be something wrong, needle don't move. I 'll give you $ _______
Them. Ok

Not my job to teach electrical theory.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

I bought 3 of my amprobe clamp-on for pennies on the dollar from pawn shops this way.

Me: Finds a drill on the shelf, puts the clamp-on around the cord. Press the trigger on the drill. Hmmmm must be something wrong, needle don't move. I 'll give you $ _______
Them. Ok

I did that exact same thing many years ago at a yard sale. Got a very nice analog A.W. Sperry clamp meter for nothing. Great for watching a load in a circuit that jumps around a lot. Sometimes better than Min/Max/Avg. on the DMM's.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby

Them. Ok

I did that exact same thing many years ago at a yard sale. Got a very nice analog A.W. Sperry clamp meter for nothing. Great for watching a load in a circuit that jumps around a lot. Sometimes better than Min/Max/Avg. on the DMM's.

We have an old analog at work that I will break out once in a while for that exact thing.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby
Well, I ended up getting the Klein CL450 clamp meter and the MM700 multimeter. After initial inspection and testing of both , I think it was a good choice in value.

Great. Keep us posted if any problems arise. Need a new meter for the house...

Molon Labe
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well hell. Fluke is having a sale on their 87-V through August. I was thinking about getting a bench unit, but my electronics knowledge does not justify buying one.

I ordered a 87-V last night. It's kind of like guns. I need to quit buying more. Ha!

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spent time (anal time) comparing all three measuring various circuits, Caps, Diodes and Resistors. They all were very close. The Fluke was faster on some of the reads.

The CL450 match the Fluke on almost all the readings.

I am satisfied.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have an OLD Fluke 25, Fluke 87, Fluke 89, Amprobe clamp-on, Techtronics Spectrometer with a multi-meter.

All acquired from pawn shops, for $35 or less, after "showing" the broker, they were good for parts only.

Know a guy who bought a $5000 Fluke transmitter calibrator ( less than 6 months old ), for $300. ( pawn shop asking price )

I put my son through tech school buying Flukes from pawn shops, cleaning and reselling them.

BTW: Klein is a good meter. IMHO, Fluke is better, but way more expensive.; as you know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As an aircraft electrician all i've ever used were Flukes, they are very good meters and the battery life on them is also very good. You can't go wrong with a Fluke.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I found this little gem at a big pawnshop. Sitting on the shelf with no price on it. I took it up to the desk, she punched some stuff in the computer shrugged her shoulders and said , how about $10 ? About broke my hand grabbing the money out of my pocket.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thats probably the best analog meter ever made. $10??? Ya got a steal.

As a retired electrical lineman and also as a retired electrician, I have gotten good service from Fluke. Greenlee and Kline also offer decent meters! I love my Simpson too!

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found this little gem at a big pawnshop. Sitting on the shelf with no price on it. I took it up to the desk, she punched some stuff in the computer shrugged her shoulders and said , how about $10 ? About broke my hand grabbing the money out of my pocket.

[Linked Image]
Stole that sucker!! We have one of those in our shop and it gets used a lot.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have the old Simpson 260P, "P" stands for protected, which my father had in the 1960 at work. The "P" protected has a circuit beaker type device that will trip the meter if you by chance stick it on the wrong voltage or high voltage while on a resistance setting.

I also have an old Amprobe analog clamp on meter that is rated to 1000 amps.

For my limited usage around the house I don't need more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.