The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, sir! That's awesome!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very very impressive!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Potatoes, aww hell naw. That's a bridge too far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent dedication and discipline.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats! You just stepped out of death into life. Wow.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good job, that's pretty amazing.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
150, that's a good chunk of weight!

I also have picked up on the intermittent fasting thing about 18 months ago. Started out throwing a day or two a week in to boost my weight loss. And that wasn't hard, because work often left me without eating lunch pretty often anyway. And I've never been a breakfast eater.

Was doing P90x at the time as well. That was the last thing that really worked for me to lose weight. Keeping the weight off has always been a struggle, and required extreme dedication to an exercise program, along with a good diet. And I was always in the mindset of trying to hit my "goal" quickly so I could "get back to eating normal and relax again".

I was down about 13 lbs when I was borderline heart attack. A couple ER's, a hospital, and a stent for a 80% clogged LAD later, and the game changed. I dodged a bullet (no attack or damage) but now I really had to not just lose weight, but truly eat better. Cut out as much processed crap as I could, cut carbs a good deal but I'm not watching the numbers or low-carbing it, lay off the red meat, sugars, etc. Dinner was chicken, salads, greens. Lunch was peppers, hummus, and salsa, or a chicken breast. AFter dinner go-to snack is grapes. Run through a lot of grapes! Sounds bland, but it wasn't. I was cooking up some tasty meals, and found I was not craving beef at all (outside of a good burger, but have come up with a turkey burger recipe that just rocks). Now losing the lbs wasn't about looking better, it had to be about health, and trying to reverse or at least stall the damage that had been done.

I was dropping a bit but stalled. Had read up on the intermittent fasting, and there was some mention of the thought it could help reduce arterial plaque. Small amounts, but if true, even decreasing by the tiniest fraction would mean I was not adding to my problem.

Except for the weekends, I haven't had breakfast or lunch in over 6 months. And I just don't miss it anymore. Not that it ever bothered me to skip a lunch a great deal, but now I don't even notice. And now a nice brunch is a nice treat on the weekends. Since my stall in the 230 lb area, I've dropped 30 more.

Using this I'm at my lowest weight since I was in my 20's. I hit 200 yesterday, which is 56lbs down for me from my heaviest, and down 39 since I got the stent back 10 months ago.

Now at 53 yrs, I expect to break into the 190's next week for the first time since my 20's. And it has been easy. I no longer feel the urgency to get to some goal weight. And for the first time don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. Or die at a young age. The choice is easy. The days of kicking the "getting healthy" can down the road are over. I want to spend my 50's, 60's, and 70's in the woods chasing critters or hunting for artifacts, not stuck in a recliner because of a screwed heart.

Cardiologist very happy with results. He asked, and I told him how I was doing it, and he expressed zero concern.

Last edited by DaveR; 08/02/19.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Inspirational to see people take control of their lives. Eating clean,fresh non processed food items is not hard . At 65 I weight what I did when I graduated high school and my muscle tone is not far off . It is a job to maintain our fitness as we age but eating right and staying active makes a big difference. Just had shoulder surgery but still doing a stationary bike 1 hr every other day. Days between 20 on the bike and a 6 mile stomp to the top of the ridge and back.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveR
The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. .

That's pretty important right there. A lot of it mental/attitude.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome news RH . . . motivating. BTW how tall are you?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dam......you lost more than I weigh.....good job and stay with it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

Good advice Rocky. If you are on potassium or calcium supplement and increase or decrease due to a radical diet change, you could cause problems. Even a credentialed nutritionist would be a great resource to consult before you start. I don't see where any doc or nutritionist would have a problem with cutting out sugar.

I've talked to licensed and credentialed nutritionists in some of the biggest medical centers in this country for the last 30 years. They are great people to have on your team if you are in a post surgical state in the ICU with major catabolism, BUT, if you are looking to do what RH has done, these are not the people. 99% of them think you should eat low fat, high carb garbage. I know cause I talk to them all the time.

They don't know any better. I don't blame them, that's what they've been taught, by the schools and grants that are funded by the sugar industry.

Drop carbs and lose weight. It's that simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still waiting to see the before/after pictures, 150lbs is a big difference I bet

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by DaveR
The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. .

That's pretty important right there. A lot of it mental/attitude.

Yep, it is such a different mindset now. I've never felt so comfortable with what I'm doing to lose weight and take into my body. It is the first time I have ever felt like I can "do this forever" and not break a sweat.

I was in a state of shock after the testing and stent, and thinking of all the things I was going to "lose" in life. Figuring I was going to be condemned to a life of bland food, veggies, salads without dressing, etc., never having a steak, burger, or salt again, and yet still worried about being able to lose weight. The doc told me this: Calm down. Don't go overboard. I want you to get to a good BMI and keep your cholesterol in check (my numbers were actually very good when this happened), but all you have to do is eat right. You don't have to cut anything completely out of your life, but all things in moderation. And you will lose the weight, and your lipid numbers will be rock solid. If you eat how I'm telling you to eat and how you must eat to prevent this from happening again, you'll be fine, and the weight will just automatically drop off as a result, and you shouldn't feel deprived. You got a second chance, and a very expensive piece of metal in your heart. Take care of it.

He was quite right.

Added bonus is my average bp has gone from 150 / 85 range down to 110 / 65 range. I'm on low dose bp meds now, and may be going to what he calls a "baby dose" of lisinopril after my follow up visit next week. Hoping to get the go ahead to hit the weights now (he nixed that for the last 10 months). Ten more pounds to go, and then I want to start adding back muscle.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations RH you sexy sonofabitch!!

I've lost 45 lbs since the end of January, pretty soon you and I are gonna be the two sexiest bastards on this site!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
You guys wanting to change,look into the nutritarian type diet. Basically,I eat no sugar,no grain but eat as many different vegetables as close to live as possible. My diet is likely about 25% meat,fish,eggs cheese yogurt, and 75% vegetable. A lot of weeks I only eat meat once or twice,with about 3 days in between.

Pinto beans with a bit of bacon?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No doctor that I've spoken to is an advocate of fasting, that's good enough for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The results speak for themselves.

150lbs lighter has to be better than whatever intermittent fasting will do to his system

-Jake

In God We Trust.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No doctor that I've spoken to is an advocate of fasting, that's good enough for me.

Read up on Autophagy. A n oriental gentleman won the nobel peace prize in 2016 for mapping out the process. It has set the health world on it's head since then. It's very possible your doctors simply won't recommend anything they don't know much about.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.