Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have an Irish Setter pup coming in a few weeks. I plan on upland hunting with it. Does anyone have an idea of what would be a good book or video to check out for training them?

BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Delmar Smith's book , actually written by Bill Tarrant, "Best Way to Train a Bird Dog" is easy and fun to read and covers all the basics. Its a classic and has been in print for many, many years. Good Luck

NB

PS Pics of the new pup are a MUST DO smile

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks. We get the pup in a couple weeks unless the breeder sends me a picture.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have but do not refer to Tarrant's book much, it isnt bad but not to my liking. It is the same story with all teachers - some do a better job of connecting to a particular student than others. Tarrant's just never did much for me.

The three books I refer to the most have been NAVHDA's "Green Book", Larry Mueller' " Speed Train your own Bird Dog", and Ken Roebuck's, Training Pointing Dogs". Bob Wehle's "Wing & Shot" is another that I think is good but is a bit long and came after I had the others.

The NAVHDA book was written for the "versatile" or Continental breeds but can be applicable to any pointing dog. I've referenced it for over three decades on all types of pointing dogs. I have found it particularly helpful as using it can bring out the utmost in those aspects looked at as weak in many pointing dogs.

I liked the other two books as they were very basic, written in a manner easy for me to understand and apply, and dovetailed well with what I already knew and the equipment I had on hand at the time. The chapters were broken down into easy to find information when I had a problem.

The best training resource I found was a good training group. I started with NAVHDA and whole heartedly recommend them regardless of pointing breed. Many members have Pointers or setters in addition to versatile breeds so many are familiar with the quirks and idiosyncrasies of the various pointing breeds.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Post up a picture of the pup when you get it. You getting a male or female? Congratulations, by the way!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been training & hunting bird dogs for some 40 years, mostly Brittanies,with a couple Weims and a Viszla. I have read all the books mentioned so far, the very best of the lot is Gun Dog, by Richard Wolters. It is to the point and I found it effective over a lot of dogs with a wide variety of personalities. He authored a couple of other books, Water Dog and Family Dog, that were very good for their purpose.
Hope your setter works out. They're beautiful creatures. It would be a delight to see one working in the field again.

Last edited by fishdog52; 08/06/19.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Post up a picture of the pup when you get it. You getting a male or female? Congratulations, by the way!

We'll do. It is a male. All the female had been spoken for.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I have been training & hunting bird dogs for some 40 years, mostly Brittanies,with a couple Weims and a Viszla. I have read all the books mentioned so far, the very best of the lot is Gun Dog, by Richard Wolters. It is to the point and I found it effective over a lot of dogs with a wide variety of personalities. He authored a couple of other books, Water Dog and Family Dog, that were very good for their purpose.
Hope your setter works out. They're beautiful creatures. It would be a delight to see one working in the field again.

Thanks. I hope the pup works out.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
From which kennel did you purchase the pup? I'm interested in setters and haven't seen much in the way of hunting Irish setter lines.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. I'll take a look at what they're offering.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don’t have much experience with strictly upland dogs, my Boykin is mainly a retriever that can also flush. I like Richard Wolters books a lot, I used Game Dog and Water Dog for most of my training, and have heard good things about Gun Dog as well. I plan on getting a Versatile Breed soon, so I recently picked up a copy of Bob Farris’ book and like it a lot. Also have a copy of the NAVHDA green book but have not read it yet.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JJWise
I don’t have much experience with strictly upland dogs, my Boykin is mainly a retriever that can also flush. I like Richard Wolters books a lot, I used Game Dog and Water Dog for most of my training, and have heard good things about Gun Dog as well. I plan on getting a Versatile Breed soon, so I recently picked up a copy of Bob Farris’ book and like it a lot. Also have a copy of the NAVHDA green book but have not read it yet.

I used the Wolters books when I got my Boykin going as well. Hard to go wrong if you strictly follow his methods, IMHO. The Water Dog video, based in Wolters book, was done by a local retriever breeder/trainer, Charley Jurney. I was able to consult with him from time to time as training progressed. The result was a super Boykin Spaniel. She was a great hunter and an even better companion. These Irish Setters are some fine looking dogs.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I'm suspecting you done well! What you got is an Amer Field Red Setter. Only thing they have in common with an Irish setter is the color of their hair. I flew back to Minnesota last May and picked up my pup, she is out of Ironfire. Really nice little girl. I have a 6 yr old Male out of Washington State that goes back to Ironfire. They are born light and darken as they grow. My sis is 6 mos now and not as dark as Stormy but getting there.

Sis at six month's
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Stormy
[img]https://i.imgur.com/4UMdNNzl.jpg?2[/img]

One thing I found about them is they didn't start as fast as my E. Setter's did but once they do they catch up in a hot sec! Much more biddable than my E Setter's were, no where near as crazy and and much more forging of handler mistakes mistakes! Loved my E Setter's but they were something more than a handful! Stormy's grandmother came out of Ironfire Kennels, I never saw her. But I judged him mom in a walking shooting Dog stake nd she is the hands down finest dog I ever judged. She was 2011 Region 10 Shoting Dog of the Year. she came out of Ironfire breeding!

Red Delicious Breelie-Stormy's mom and she out of Ironfire breeding.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/c9rAG8El.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by DonFischer; 10/18/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
BTW. My hands down favorite book is the Bill Tarrent book on Delmar Smith. Worst book for me was Wolter's book, Gun Dog. I read that the problem with it was Wolter's is a retriever man that bought a setter to train just so he could write a book. I have read a lot of good about his Water Dog book. Perfection Kennels has a DVD out that is a very nice DVD if your interested in a DVD.

Last edited by DonFischer; 10/19/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Beautiful dog DonFischer!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Look's like my Stormy photo didn't work. Addicted to photo's of my dog's so try him and his mom again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Stormy's mom, Red Delcious Breeley. Amer Field Region 10 Shooting dog of the year. Breeley was out of Yakima, Washngton , damn few out here. This is the dog that turned me on to Red Setter's. She died this year!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/c9rAG8El.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by DonFischer; 12/29/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I tried to post pics of the pup we got in the image gallery, but it is too difficult for me apparently

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.