Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've only shot 1 deer with a PP, out of a 270. It was quartering toward me and I hit it right on the point of the shoulder. The bullet got through the hide but then slid along the outside of the bones clear back to the last rib before it penetrated and hit an artery. I got lucky on that one. The deer ran over 200 yds but it was in the clear so I could see it until it went down.
It was the angle rather than the bullet that caused it. I'm thinking that any other bullet would have done the same thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Shot several deer with PPs out of 270 and a few other calibers. Preform like most cheaper soft points (Federal Blue Box, Hornady Interlock, Remington Cor-Lokt) and they do great for deer size animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your good to go for any thing in N. America except maybe the big bears.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've only shot 1 deer with a PP, out of a 270. It was quartering toward me and I hit it right on the point of the shoulder. The bullet got through the hide but then slid along the outside of the bones clear back to the last rib before it penetrated and hit an artery. I got lucky on that one. The deer ran over 200 yds but it was in the clear so I could see it until it went down.
It was the angle rather than the bullet that caused it. I'm thinking that any other bullet would have done the same thing.

I’ve used WW PP in the 270 when loading equipment was stored in process of moving.
I killed several WT with them and was not disappointed.

I’ve had 1 or 2 similar experiences to yours with H S P and I agree with your assessment.
I have ONLY used factory ammo out of absolute necessity few times.

I have a 6 mm Rem that has not had ONE round of factory ammo even shot in it for any reason.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'm a Nosler Partition fan and have used them on everything. It's been hard stepping out of my comfort zone.

"The 270 Winchester is the consumate mountain cartridge and everything else just eats its dust and chases its tail from the standpoint of days on the mountain and hoofs in the air....."BobinNH
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Pappy said :
Buy a bunch and worry about something else. That's probably very good advice.

I have used the 130 PP on deer way back in the 70s and never seen a thing to complain about. I killed big Nevada, Montana and Idaho deer with them too and had excellent results. Once when I was about 17 I killed a big "outlaw" horse for a neighbor rancher who had hurt 3 people the last one being his son. I Shot the horse with my 270 at the other end of the pasture so the hit was about 175 yards away. The bullet hit about 1/3 up from the bottom of the horses chest and he stiffened then made 2 halted lunges and fell. He was stone dead before we could walk to him and that little 130 grain bullet left an exit. That horse was about 1350 pounds.

I have also used P.P. bullets in several 30 cals, and in the 375H&H. In my opinion Winchester really hit this design right. I still have about 300 of them for my 375H&H and I favor that bullet over every other bullet I have used on American game. Too bad they are discontinued now.

4 years ago I, my wife and 2 friend all used my Mossberg MVP 308 rifle to kill our elk. (that's a weird and somewhat funny story how we all ended up sharing one rifle, but I'll save that for later) We killed 5 elk, all with the ammo that was in the rifle which actually was thrown into the truck as a back-up gun and had a 20 round M14 mag stuck in it full of my hand loads. FC brass and H414 powder and 150 grain WW Power Points. I recovered 2 bullets from the 5 elk, with all the rest exiting. The 2 I have weight 129 and 131 grains. Both these broke major bones and were found against the skin on the off side. I also love Nosler Partitions, but in all honesty, what I saw from the WW power points matched the best I have seen from the Nosler Partitions, and the thing that is "golden" was the fact that in 3 of my rifles these P.P. bullets shoot MOA and less. In the MVP I get 3/4 from them so they give up nothing for accuracy or performance on game. I have used the 180 grain 30 cals from my 30-06 and my 300 mags in the past too, and had perfect results in every instance.

I do not know if the construction the the P.P. bullets is unchanged since the 70s when I got most of them. But I think it's the same. The older Remington Core-Lokt bullet had thicker jackets then those made today. I REALLY hope Winchester didn't do that same, but so far I have not heard any complaints about them. In hunting with friends I have seen maybe 15 head of game killed with various 270, 7MM and 30 cal rifles using the WW P.P. bullet in the last 20 years or so here in Wyoming and a few in Idaho, and again, I have yet to see a problem.

Last edited by szihn; 07/25/19.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Sweet! That was an awesome post, thank you.

"The 270 Winchester is the consumate mountain cartridge and everything else just eats its dust and chases its tail from the standpoint of days on the mountain and hoofs in the air....."BobinNH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot a bunch of Winchester PP 150s out of a .270W loaded with hand loads. The reason is My daughter was gifted an old .270 Ruger 77 and the components to build hand loads. 1500 more or less 150 Win. PPs came with the deal so in the interest of economy we loaded them settling first on H4831 and later IMR 7828. neither load has much speed but it kills big hogs and big deer quite well. Also the occasional pit bull or chow that shows up molesting the cattle.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used them and also loaded some for friends. Always accurate and work swell on the game. My current ,270 shoots the 150 factory load a soild 3 shot 1 1/2 ( which is pretty good) but it loves the 130s, just wads them up really close!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I posted this on another thread that I had a weird hit with one years ago. The deer was quartering toward me at 50 to 75 yds. It hit right on the point of the shoulder. Instead of penetrating, it slid along under hide along the outside of the rib cage clear to the last rib where it penetrated and found something vital. The deer ran about 200 yds before it went down. Luckily I could see it the whole time because there was no blood trail. I can't blame that on the PP. I think it was the angle of the hit and I suspect the same thing would have happened no matter what bullet I used.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
C
They will do just fine .. any standard cup and core ...Winnie power points core lokts powershoks will be just fine...but if ur lookin for a round that passes with good blood trails every time and is a cheap bonded bullet... look at federal fusions I’ve used them in 270 130 gr for 6 years and never had a single problem

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Handloader magazine 1998

"The best hunting bullet.". By Gary Sciuchetti
Scroll down about 10 posts to see the picture of the bullet board results.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...33200/all/Impact_velocity_and_bullet_exp

Posted again here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6533200/2

Various 30 caliber bullets at different velocities. Not 270 caliber, but Power Points did well at all velocities tested ( no cup/core separation, good expansion from high-low velocities).

One could presume 270 caliber Power Points will have similar positive results.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just about any 130 grain bullet out of a 270 will flatten a deer if hit in the boiler room. i use these and corelokts interchangeably and have never had one run for more than a few yards. and the best part is they go on sale for 12 bucks a box. the 130gr 270 is the best DRT rounds that i have ever seen. i've shot dozens of deer with them over the past 37 years.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been shooting Hornady 140 grain Interlock btsp's in my 270 since 09 and have never had a deer go far, usually DRT. Typical shot distance 300 yards. It's hard to beat the tried and true cup and core bullet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.