Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a used Honda EB2500 generator in case.......
I live in Coastal Georgia, so another hurricane or storm knocks out power at least I can run the fridge for a bit and fans at night, a few lights here and there as needed.
It has almost 3 gallons of fuel.

Based on judicious running of lights and fans (fridge for an hour then off for 4, repeat) any idea how long I can expect the 2.9 gallons to last between refills??

I've searched the web and can't find an answer other than Honda saying their quiet line (this is not) can run up to 24 hours.....

Hoping someone has experience with what I can expect??

Thanks
Hancock

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I do not know anything about the 2500 but I do know the 2000i will power an Ice Castle fish house furnace and lights for about 12 hours on under a gallon of gas in -20* weather.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Rooster, I am hoping that with power going out and supplying the basics, that I can run for 2-3 days cycle on 5 gallons, Loos like that shouldn't be a problem. Appreciate it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Own a relatively new Honda 3000 which I believe carries 5 gal of fuel. I've run it 12 hours and it's down to about 1/2 tank. It throttles up with a heavier load, and since my use has been solely with a travel trailer, it seems to just idle.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Thanks Rooster, I am hoping that with power going out and supplying the basics, that I can run for 2-3 days cycle on 5 gallons, Loos like that shouldn't be a problem. Appreciate it.

I think you will be able to do that easily. Especially if you run it intermittently like you talked about. Are you going to hard wire it into the house?

Also, and I'm sure you know this but if you're going to have stored fuel on hand for the generator, make sure to use a stabilizer like Stabil and or/Seafoam. I use both in my small engines when storing them and have not had any problems since I started doing so.

Last edited by Rooster7; 08/03/19.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What happens if you run out of fuel?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

You get to make all the food in the house and pig out!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Powerhorse 2000 Inverter generator after Hurricane Harvey hit our area.I ran 8hrs on a gallon of gas.I kept my freezers, fridge,lights,fans,computers,tv and whatever else needed going for four days after the storm passed.It like the Honda,very quiet and easy to start.You can hook this model parallel with another same model for extra power if you chose to.After my power was restored I took mine over to my Aunt and Uncles place that was in the path of the eye of the storm.I picked one up for them too.He never hooked them up parallel,but he just kept one on standby so when one ran out of gas,he would just start up the other one and he was back on.He ran them for two weeks until his power was restored.During this time we used the generators to run saws while we rebuilt all the fence around their home.At night he ran a small a/c and slept very comfortable.My whole object was to get one big enough to get me by during the outage,not to run my whole house like I had full electric power.I think my Uncle used around 20gal of gas during his two weeks without power,I know I used less than 5gal while I was down.My Uncle's neighbor had a very loud larger generator.It was very annoying to listen to while we were building the fence and it was nice to get some peace everytime it ran out of gas about every two hours.We figured he probably used about a 150gal of gas during those two weeks,so that's something to think about too.Where my Uncle spent less than a hundred on gas,his neighbor spent over four hundred.Of course another thing to keep in mind is keep your load lite and it will run a lot longer too.

Last edited by baldhunter; 08/03/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
No experience with gasoline engines...but it should be very similar to diesel gen sets..rule of thumb is a pint or a pound of fuel per hour per kilowatt. So do an estimate of your average electrical load for one hour, say it's 3,500 watts, or 3.5 pints of fuel. I used that in years past to calculate fuel needs on unmanned refrigeration barges going to and from Alaska. Modern engines with supposedly environmental friendly efficiency seldom do much better in spite of the advertising hype.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I alway think about getting a conversion to run off propane. I have two. Hundred pound tanks, and I would not worry about stale gas. I have a Yamaha 2000I. Runs 12 hours on a gallon easy. I use it for RV if there is no hook up. Purrs like a kitten.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Honda 3000IS and it has a 3.5 gallon fuel tank that pulls my 13.5 BTU RV/AC for about 8 hours on a tank of fuel in 95 degree temps..The pump on the AC was on most of the time..Without the AC running with the AC pump pulling,It last forever on a tank of gas.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you plan on running unattended or through the night... get one with low oil and high temperature shut-downs or have them installed,

Phil

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Hancock27

I think you will be able to do that easily. Especially if you run it intermittently like you talked about. Are you going to hard wire it into the house?

Also, and I'm sure you know this but if you're going to have stored fuel on hand for the generator, make sure to use a stabilizer like Stabil and or/Seafoam. I use both in my small engines when storing them and have not had any problems since I started doing so.

No No t hard wiring, just run extension cords for a day or two, as needed

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Drive where there's fuel and buy some more, Last one (Hurricane Michael) went through the center of the state , Plenty if stuff 100 miles outside the path.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Guys, don't be dumbasses. Buy extra fuel. Use it up in your vehicles later, if there's any left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up brake specific fuel consumption. Keep in mind 1 hp/hr = 746 watt/hour.

2500 watt/hour = 3.335 hp/hr
Using .6# per horsepower hour for a place to start, at max output 3.335*.6#= 2.001#
A gallon of gas is 6# so 6/2 = 3 hours run time max output per gallon of gas.

So you can get 9 hours per tank max loading. As your load decreases your run time will increase.

I exercise my 3600 watt generator each fall for an hour running my house. I have a manual transfer switch so it is easy to do.

I keep 10 gallons of E0 on hand and change it out every 12-18 months by running it through my car. E0 stores longer than E10/15 stuff imho.

Last edited by Szumi; 08/03/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like others have said, have plenty extra on hand and use ETHANOL FREE! Not yelling, just EMPHASIZING!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.