Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Doug’s price has me really looking but I normally would require parallax adjustment on a 12x scope.

Any actual users of this scope have any advice??

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just ordered a Klassik 3-12x42 from Doug and ordered parallax at 200 instead of the 100 standard.

I can’t speak to whether adjustable parallax is needed on this scope but I hope it is not. It is going to replace a 4-16 scope because i don’t want to be messing with adjustable parallax for the style hunting i do. And i wanted a first focal plane reticle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have several(5) of these, mostly 42mm version but 1 50mm at the moment. They are my favorite all around hunting scope and have couple I with the TDS reticle and shoot them out to 700 yards without any issues.

I think for the money that Doug is selling it's the best scope you can buy anywhere. You won't ever regret having this scope in your collection, super versatile.

Good Luck. J

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JBB. Do you find the image reasonably sharp at further distances (300-400 yds)?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, I find the optical quality very good. I currently have S&B, Swaro, GPO, Leopold, Leica & Zeiss in my collection. The image may not pop, seem has bright or colorful as some of the others but I find the scope the most useable in the field. One of my hunting partners just bought one last year after years of my praise now it's his favorite scope. The combo of the 1st plane reticle and the image quality work perfectly. On the last day of hunting season last year shot a doe at 315 yards with about 2 minutes of legal shooting time left in dark pine trees without issue, TDS reticle.

If you'd like to discuss just PM your contact info and I'll give you a call tomorrow.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dave, I've had a 3-12x42 w/#4 for about 20 years now. By far the best hunting scope in the world. Nothing rivals it for clarity and toughness. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 08/02/19.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You just about have me convinced.....almost.....

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how the S&B glass compares to the 3-12 Bushnell LRTS/LRHS?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Please don't use the name Bushnell and Schmidt & Bender in the same post. powdr

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by powdr
Please don't use the name Bushnell and Schmidt & Bender in the same post. powdr

whistle not to mention the price . I have the same scope that `I bought from doug and paid about 200 more it is crazy good in lowlight.

IC B3

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The LRHS/LRTS line is no slouch. Don’t kid yourself. For the most part I don’t care what label is on the outside. I judge by performance.
Still say the 3-12 Klassik would be improved with PA of some sort....
Pretty sure I’ll call Doug Monday.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Daveh
The LRHS/LRTS line is no slouch. Don’t kid yourself. For the most part I don’t care what label is on the outside. I judge by performance.
Still say the 3-12 Klassik would be improved with PA of some sort....
Pretty sure I’ll call Doug Monday.

Comparing apples and oranges both Mechanically and by Optical performance. I would take S&B CS over just about anyone as well.

You want a long range hunting scope buy the Bushnell.

The Klassic has been made for decades without PA and is not a long range scope, just look at W/E max adjustment. However if you want one of the better lowlight scopes made the S&B and a few others are in a class of their own. It's a bargain at what Doug is selling it for, they are not made for everyone.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Comparing apples and oranges both Mechanically and by Optical performance. I would take S&B CS over just about anyone as well.

You want a long range hunting scope buy the Bushnell.

The Klassic has been made for decades without PA and is not a long range scope, just look at W/E max adjustment. However if you want one of the better lowlight scopes made the S&B and a few others are in a class of their own. It's a bargain at what Doug is selling it for, they are not made for everyone.

Good post OEH!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of older builds of mine.
[Linked Image]
Sorry about the photopoop..
1.5-6x42 Flash Dot on top.
3-12x50 On bottom.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Borrowed one of these but seems the illuminated dot isn’t very bright. Changed the battery but seems pretty dim even at dark thirty I had to have it at 6 before I could even barely see it on 12x.
Normal??

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Borrowed one of these but seems the illuminated dot isn’t very bright. Changed the battery but seems pretty dim even at dark thirty I had to have it at 6 before I could even barely see it on 12x.
Normal??

These are built with the intention of the scope being a low-light performer, hence the very dim illumination on the lower settings. In other words, this is one low-light scope with acceptably-dim illumination -- built correctly, Many out there are far too bright in that regard and negatively impact your vision.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Normal??

These are built with the intention of the scope being a low-light performer, hence the very dim illumination on the lower settings. In other words, this is one low-light scope with acceptably-dim illumination -- built correctly, Many out there are far too bright in that regard and negatively impact your vision.

+1

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a hunch this what I would hear but wanted to check as it seemed like settings 1-4 were of no value even in complete darkness.

Thanks guys. I am keeping it..... I may buy a Leica ERi in same configuration for another rifle. 😀

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you couldn't see 1 through 4 in full darkness -- and by that I mean at least an hour after official sunset and with no other light sources around -- then your scope is dimmer than the norm. Personally, I'd be thrilled as that makes it even more useful for moonlight conditions. A very crude but useful rule of thumb is that if you can clearly see the fully-illuminated dot in a well-lit room (looking at mid-or-light-toned walls or curtains) when on the lowest setting, it will likely be far too bright for true low-light applications. But for the 30-minutes-before to 30-minutes-after shooters, those will still likely work just fine.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll double check it but for sure at 1&2 you cannot see any glimmer in a completely dark room....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.