Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
...and wanted your thoughts on this. It is part of the conclusion to the book. The book is about rebarreling, reloading and shooting a 30-303, a 303 British using a 308 barrel. In my case, I used a No 4 Long Branch. I am in the editing phase, a couple of weeks away from finishing.

A Few Parting Thoughts

First, I want to thank you for reading the book. I mean that.

In 2016, when I told my best friend that I was going to rebarrel one of my old 303s, he thought I’d lost my mind. He argued that it wasn’t worth the time or money. I laughed, and told him to check the prices of new econo-guns like the Savage Axis, Remington 783 or the Ruger American – complete with plastic stocks and pot metal parts. In Canada, they were 450 dollars CDN. The prices have risen since. For the same amount of money, I could fix up my old rifle, one with which I was comfortable, and it would outlast me! Certainly, the quality of my old rifle would be better than any plastic stocked one. More importantly perhaps, it was something that I could pass down to my kids or grandkids.

Whether it’s a Lee Enfield or some other, older rifle, restorations are fun and a great opportunity to learn more about their history. I always scour the used racks of every gun shop that I visit, looking for a diamond in the rough. My diamonds are rifles with ‘good bones’. Ones that can be restocked, reblued or rebarreled to make them new again. These days, rifles get traded or sold off, as the latest and greatest cartridge or action hits the market. Their loss is my gain.

Projects like this are great fun to do with family or friends. My grandsons were intrigued with the idea of wooden stocks and were always asking questions. “Was this rifle in the war, Grampa?”. The oldest, who was 12 when I started, thought it looked cool. “Can I shoot it when you’re done?”

Heck, grab a polishing cloth and we can work on it together! I thought about it and realized that this was something they could use, years from now, when I was not longer around. What a wonderful idea! You cannot put a value on that.

I hope that some people who read this book will take the time to re-work an older firearm. There is no time limit. You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars. Sometimes, cleaning it up and getting the metal reblued is all it takes to restore an old rifle.

You can make it a project. You can involve family or friends, like I do with my grandkids. They enjoy spending time with me, and it makes me feel great too!

Shooting is just part of the fun. Learning about reloading, or going to the store to look at the factory ammunition is a great way to teach younger or inexperienced shooters. While you’re at your local gun shop, show them accessories like scopes, slings, or whatever catches their eye.

To the dads, moms, uncles, aunts, granddads, grandmas, or friends: Remember, it’s not about you. Young people find a lot of things interesting. Don’t preach! Let them ask questions. It’s okay if they think ARs are cool, but you don’t. You have the unique privilege of joining an inquisitive mind on a journey toward a new hobby. Walk with them. Do not pull them along!

They will want to go to the range with you. Plan the day for them. If they are new shooters, take a 22 or something that recoils softly. Answer their questions. Listen to their observations. Be their Google.

They already look up to you. There’s no need to impress them with your knowledge. They won’t understand most of what you’d say anyhow.

If you’re a hunter, don’t try to change their mind if they say they aren’t interested in that. They don’t really know what will interest them going forward. Just be happy to hang out with them and answer any questions they might have. It’s important not to push!

You want to guide them along the way, not take over. It’s their journey after all.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
...and wanted your thoughts on this. It is part of the conclusion to the book. The book is about rebarreling, reloading and shooting a 30-303, a 303 British using a 308 barrel. In my case, I used a No 4 Long Branch. I am in the editing phase, a couple of weeks away from finishing.

[i]A Few Parting Thoughts

First, I want to thank you for reading the book. I mean that. (would suggest rewriting it to eliminate two problems)

In 2016, when I told my best friendthat I was g oing to saw a planned rebarrel on one of my old 303s, he thought I’d lost my mind he shook his head, frowning. He argued that it wasn’t worth the time or money. I laughed, and told him to check the prices of new econo-guns like the Savage Axis, Remington 783 or the Ruger American – complete with plastic stocks and pot metal parts. In Canada, they were 450 dollars CDN. The prices have risen since. For the same amount of money, I could fix up my old rifle, one with which I was comfortable, and it would outlast me! Certainly, the quality of my old rifle would be better than any plastic stocked one. More importantly perhaps, it was something that I could pass down to my kids or grandkids.

Just a very quick and dirty example of what I mean... No ill will intended, at all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well stink!!!!!!!!

I wrote a lengthy piece about the whys and such and managed to delete it!

So, again, this time with saving it in mind.

People get uncomfortable reading "I, me, my, or mine" and those words should be written around or out if at all possible. I hit a couple of them in the post I sent out of order. Sometimes it is required and there is no good write-around... but there are far too many in the piece.

Follow the "Elements of Style" carefully and eliminate as many words as possible, every time. "That" was especially troublesome to White. And editors today still believe.

Your comments and their substance are good, just the writing needs tightening. No ill will intended in any way.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
No problem. That was the first pass. Write the words first. Fine tune it later.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks promising, and I am delighted that you are making the effort. Few appreciate the hard work required to do it well. The written word, at least on paper, seems to be a dying tradition.
Passing on traditions such as love for the outdoors, shooting, hunting, reloading, and....reading, are worthy legacies.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. None of the stuff I do is mainstream. I record information for anyone who might be interested in the cartridges or rifles that I find fascinating.

I am sure that paper books will eventually disappear, but not in our lifetimes. In a couple hundred years, paper books of any kind will be found in museums. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Steve,

Sure an interesting subject.

I am aware many Enfields were rebarrelled to large , heavy calibers. Strong actions.

Good Luck.

Best,

Chuck

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. I spent this afternoon puttering around my office. Here is the first edit of Parting Thoughts. It's been pared down from 650 to 426 words. I will revisit it next week.
--

Parting Thoughts

Thank you for reading the book.

In 2016, my best friend said that rebarreling an old 303 was a waste of time and money. I laughed, and suggested that he check the prices of the latest econo-guns – complete with plastic stocks and pot metal parts. In Canada, they retailed for 450 dollars CDN ($350 USD).

Prices have risen since. For the same money, I could fix up an old rifle, one I liked, and it would outlast me! The quality would be better than any recently made, plastic stocked gun. More importantly, I could pass it down to my kids or grandkids.

Whatever the rifle, restorations are fun and a great opportunity to learn more about their history. I find them by scouring the used gun racks, looking for a diamond in the rough. My diamonds are rifles with ‘good bones’. Ones that can be restocked, reblued or rebarreled to make them new again.

Projects like this are great fun to do with family or friends. My grandsons were intrigued with the idea of wooden stocks and were always asking questions. “Was this rifle in the war, Grampa?”. The oldest, who was 12 when I started, thought it looked cool. “Can I shoot it when you’re done?”

Grab a polishing cloth and we can work on it together! You cannot put a value on that.

Re-work an older firearm. There is no time limit. You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars. Sometimes, cleaning it up, or getting the metal reblued, is all it takes.

Make it a project. You can involve family or friends, like I do with my grandkids. They enjoy spending time with me, and I feel good too!

To the dads, moms, uncles, aunts, granddads, grandmas, and friends: Remember, it’s not about you. Young people find a lot of things interesting. Don’t preach! Let them ask questions. For example, it’s okay if they think ARs are cool, even if you don’t. You have the unique privilege of being with someone special on a new journey. Walk with them. Do not drag them along!

They will want to go to the range with you. Plan the day. Answer their questions. Listen to their observations. Be positive. They already look up to you. Be there for them.

If you’re a hunter, don’t try to change their mind if they say they aren’t interested in that. They don’t always know what they want as children. Just be happy to hang out with them and be a part of their lives.

It’s their journey after all.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
steve the first one is good it is your wrighting do it how you like it I think most of us understand what you are saying

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for kind words. As long as everyone understands, that's the important thing.

I hate editing. It's worse than making up 500 rifle rounds, with multiple powders, on a single stage press. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.