Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
After reading the excellent article on Zebra's I'm wondering, what most of you do with the trophy. I originally thought a Rug. The rug can have a liner, or not. I also thought the zebra, mount was very attractive. Having had the work done for a rug is it too late to have it mounted or am I over thinking it. My taxidermist said that putting the fleece or what ever on the bottom of the "rug" that it's slicker. Or we can do it with out the fleece. I'm still not sure and that picture of the mount was really nice. I don't have room to put hide on a wall. Give me some ideas please.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine is en route from Namibia as I type and has a lined bottom and will land on the floor of my home office.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
T
I had mine done as a pedestal mount.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A zebra mount is striking to me, but I had both of mine tanned. Plan is to hang them and a blue wildebeest hide on the wall behind my other African mounts.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My zebra hide is draped over my couch.....hide only....no frills.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We made mine into a setee. Mrs Blacktailer's is a rug. Felt lined so it doesn't slip on wood or tile.
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have brought back two zebra hides from Nambia and Tanzania, about all the house can handle. Eileen's was made into a rug with backing, but ended up on one of the livingroom walls. Mine is just the tanned hide, but is on the floor of the guest roomppartly so I can easily occasionally use it as a photo back-drop for rifles.

Zebra hides are often used as rugs in Africa, because they hold up well to foot-traffic, and if they eventually wear out can be easily replaced. (Same deal with blue wildebeest and some other hides.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

My favorite mementos of African hunts are, in no order, zebra hides, warthog tusks, kudu horns, and buffalo skulls. Lost all interest in all mounts. Prefer great pics. Wildebeest hides too.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shoot two, one for a rug and one for a wall or pedestal. I arrowed two and that’s what I did. If you just do a wall/pedestal, save the back skin. It can be used to make belts, purses, coasters, etc. I had a belt made and still have enough for several more articles.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have both a Burchell's rug and a mountain zebra rug on the hardwood floor of our master bedroom. Neither have liners. They have been in place for 13 years and still are in excellent condition. To me and my interior designer wife, these are one of the best and most striking features of our house.

RS

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Could use for accent pieces by cutting in different shapes...One would be to cut out a design of the African continent..Hang alone or as a backing for something...Soft gun case or hat band ,,coffee table cover ,etc...

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like a rug with backing it is... Do most of you use black backing? That's what we are thinking.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a Pedestal for my home and a Purse made for my daughter from a Burchell Zebra. I currently have a Rug and a Pedestal being made from two Hartmann Mt. Zebra.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mule?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If they already trimmed for a backing it probably can't be converted to a mount. My Hartmann Zebra has a black leather binder around the edge which I really like. The backing is some felted carpet like material which has a backing itself, it keeps the shape well.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I shot 3, 2 rugs with felt backing, 1 pedestal. 1 rug on floor in trophy room and one on wall in hall coming into trophy room. One of the most fun animals to hunt.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rug rules!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We shot 3 in Namibia, 2 are rugs with black felt like backing, and the 3rd is tanned... I haven't figured out what I want to use it for... thinking of a coffee table with glass on top???

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.