Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Last fall I bought 1/2 a Berkshire hog, already cut. It was really good and flavourful, but I wasn't impressed with the way some of the cuts were (bone left in roasts, bacon too fatty).

I'm thinking about getting another one, but will not have the bacon done as it's too fat a pig to make good bacon. I'll also probably not have any ground or sausage made, keeping the trim in chunks so I can make my own sausage. Also thinking about not having hams done as, again, this type of pork is too fatty to make a good ham.

So, I'm thinking chops, small roasts, ribs, picnic shoulders, pork belly (for the bbq) and stew meat chunks from the trim.

What is your experience with "heritage breed" pork? I really, really liked the flavour of the Berkshire and it was pasture-raised, which is a plus. Wife was put off by the amount of fat in the meat grain, but I think if they're cut right that won't be so much of a problem.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I thought the interest in heritage breeds was to get the fat back in, the newer breeds producing pork that's too lean for good flavor and juiciness.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
They do get the fat back but you can get too much of a good thing. That's why I want to get it cut different.

The flavour is really, really good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just a plain old wild hog makes pretty good pork.

Sam......

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
poland china was a good variety, back in the day when lard had a greater market demand than it does now.

they'll eat about anything, and lay on the fat for winter. they're good hogs, but not in demand.

they have larger litters, and the mama hogs (sow for the pc), do a good job w/the littlins.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best domestic pork I have had came from the "Danish bacon pigs." Landrace, IIRC, were some of the first to be bred for reduced fat and more meat. They did it well and were very productive I believe.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Gus
poland china was a good variety, back in the day when lard had a greater market demand than it does now.

they'll eat about anything, and lay on the fat for winter. they're good hogs, but not in demand.

they have larger litters, and the mama hogs (sow for the pc), do a good job w/the littlins.

Crates?

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There is a heritage farm just north of here that raises Berkshires on pasture. They sell them for higher prices than pen raised. I have had some of their pork and it wasn't special to me. They are raised in a cleaner environment though than house raised hogs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I had thought about raising a couple hogs for slaughter.

Tamworth and Red Wattle were two I looked at.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Hogwild7, that's one of the reasons I looked at Berkshires. They were raised on pasture. I'm not a fanatic about factory farming, but if I can get it from a better source, why not? By law, it still goes through the same meat inspection by the gov't.

As it turned out, the price was very reasonable, too. I paid $2.50/lb for half a hog, including smoked hams, bacon and Italian sausage. I'm looking at buying a whole hog from someone else and getting it custom cut. I won't do the bacon and will get some sausage made, but will keep most of it in stew meat size so I can make my own kielbassa etc. Roasts will be used for Shashlyk - Ukrainian kabobs.

These are hobby farmers I'm buying from, so they've got a couple for their own use and then sell the other 10 or 12 they get a year.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 07/31/19.
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Gus

Crates?

no, field/pasture run. huts in the planted pines.

eat grass, weeds, acorns, whatever and oat shorts.

they are fat makers. at one time in high demand. good meat.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I raised a mangalitsa that was slaughtered a couple months ago.

No corn, all grains,fruits,and veggies and butchered at 14 months. She looked like a block of jello when she walked around.

The bacon is almost completely white but it’s crisps up well enough and the fat stays liquid it doesn’t solidify. It really shines wrapping other meat.
[Linked Image]
Chops and steaks are marbled as much like a good ribeye and the meat is dense and more red than typical pork. Flavor wise it’s between pork and beef.

Hams are exceptional same as the ribs. I haven’t done a shoulder yet.

It’s an expensive endeavor to raise one or to buy the meat but it’s a nice change up from typical store bought pork.

Last edited by widrahthaar; 08/03/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hogs used to be bred to produce the fat, because one of the reasons they were butchered was to get the lard from them. As we began to eat more healthy, or whatever you want to call it, fat became a bad thing. Personally, I prefer meat that is lean, beef or pork. I know the importance of fat, especially in beef, and how it add to the flavor, but when I'm eating a piece of beef, I always cut off the fat. The exception is in ground meat, where you have to eat it.

I can take pork fat better than I can beef fat, but I still don't want a pork chop, or a piece of ham that's got a lot of fat on it. I raised hogs at one time, and we killed one every year. I've thought about doing it again, and if I ever do, it won't be a fatty type heritage breed hog.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back at Iowa State,in the Animal Science class I asked the grad student teaching the class if the fat type hogs would ever come back, he said maybe in a war time. Fats are used to make explosives.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back at Iowa State,in the Animal Science class I asked the grad student teaching the class if the fat type hogs would ever come back, he said maybe in a war time. Fats are used to make explosives.

And if we eat a lot of fat, we'll explode too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the Heritage breed pigs we just trim the fat prior to cooking or after,That is where the flavor is . Most mass produced pork is flavorless and I'd rather have a big chop than a big steak.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon

plenty of chicken fat for that.

in fact so much chicken fat the markets have collapsed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buddy in Western NY has found himself a niche selling mangalista pigs to the numerous farm to table type restaurants in and around Buffalo. I was gifted several chops and roasts when I was up there, WAY better than store bought, and significantly better than the pigs we buy at market auctions to butcher.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (35, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.