Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here a couple of quick , poor pictures ( I suck as a photographer) of a sporterized Krag I rescued from a lonely life of a gun shop shelf yesterday. The s/n indicates a 1901 mfg. date. Barrel has been gut to 24 inches and everything reblued and a set of sporter/hunting sights installed. The stock is a Fajen.

I have a weakness for the old Krag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, good find. Nice looking old school military conversion. Krag actions are slick.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how much? I've been looking for something just like that

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Now, that is really nice.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt

Did I pay or do I want to sell it?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bless you, we here at the Mauser Rescue Society are well aware that Mauser rifles are not the only poor neglected old soldiers of the world. Your act of kindness could very well mean a new lease on life for a proud old war horse. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed and in closing, as we like to say, adopt a rescue Mauser(or other neglected military bolt) today.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like fun. Get some 220 gr. RN and have at it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How did that old soldiers ditty go, referring to the Philippine Insurrection? "..and we'll civilize them with the Krag."

Nice rifle!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

how much does something like that cost?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

how much does something like that cost?

500.00 ish

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice find. I like them too, having acquired my Grandfather's Krag , a WWI vet. A Lyman or Redfield "no drill" receiver sight is my preference on these "sporter" versions.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Nice find. I like them too, having acquired my Grandfather's Krag , a WWI vet. A Lyman or Redfield "no drill" receiver sight is my preference on these "sporter" versions.

You need to post a picture of it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pictured are my first Krag and my most recent...The rougher of the two was my Grandad's. He served in France in WWI. While the family told us he brought this home with him, it might very well be he acquired it in the 20's after he returned. Dad said Grandpa was a good shot with the rifle and Dad shot his first deer with it-with full length original barrel and stock. Grampa was a good blacksmith and welder but a poor gunsmith. He cobbled it together and it sat that way for many years until given to me three or four years ago. It actually shoots plenty good enough to take a deer which I intend to do. As usual for me, I couldn't stop with one...others have followed including this last 1896 which was very nicely put together I think.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14029063/krag-photos

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You two guys got some nice Krags.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Actually, Gary (Gnoahhh) is the Kragmeister!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't know about that, but I've owned a sh*t ton of them in my life.

First one was in 1969, at age 16, M1896 cavalry carbine- for the exorbitant cost of $30. It coincided with my first bullet mold- a 155 grain plain base design. I cast the first bullets using an empty soup can and a propane torch and immediately stuffed 20 or 30 of them into Krag cases (with no lube on them, first mistake) over top of a pretty stiff charge of 2400 (second mistake). Out in the neighbors field at my "private shooting range" I rapped those twenty shots lickity-split downrange. First couple shot to the sights and I was cock-a-hoop. By the time I fired the last shot they were spraying all over the hillside. Heck, one or two might still be flying for all I know. I trudged home feeling not so hot after all. That night when I went to clean the gun I saw that the rifling grooves were packed level with lead- it looked like a smoothbore. Lesson learned, at the cost of several evenings and a few bore brushes: lube the damn*d bullets, and don't shoot them at around 2000 fps without a gas check. I went on to kill my first deer with that gun.

Favorite one was a Krag built by Sedgley. It was a three shot repeater (two in the magazine, one up the spout) with its magazine box removed but with the follower and spring cleverly fixed under the solid wood RH side of the classic-styled pistol grip stock, Lyman 48 sight. It went away along with a few other treasures 30 years ago, to help finance 36 acres of Pennsylvania woods.

I think I posted pics of my .22 Maximum Lovell single shot Krag custom, with heavy Marksman-style stock and double set triggers? Built by Hervey Lovell himself probably sometime in the 1930's. It's a whizzer.

Current on again-off again project: a M1896 attributable to a Trooper in the 1st Volunteer Cavalry, (Rough Riders). It came to me as a bare action and is being built as an homage to Townsend Whelen's custom Krag sporter. Griffin&Howe-style stock with kidney cheekpiece, ebony forearm tip, steel furniture, new Criterion barrel, Lyman 48 receiver sight, pretty crotchwood black walnut stock. I'll post pics at some point- it's at a gunsmith buddy's shop where I'm doing the work on it. (The college laboratory workshop that is my day job is not exactly a gun friendly environment.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Pictured are my first Krag and my most recent...The rougher of the two was my Grandad's. He served in France in WWI. While the family told us he brought this home with him, it might very well be he acquired it in the 20's after he returned. Dad said Grandpa was a good shot with the rifle and Dad shot his first deer with it-with full length original barrel and stock. Grampa was a good blacksmith and welder but a poor gunsmith. He cobbled it together and it sat that way for many years until given to me three or four years ago. It actually shoots plenty good enough to take a deer which I intend to do. As usual for me, I couldn't stop with one...others have followed including this last 1896 which was very nicely put together I think.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14029063/krag-photos

Grand Rifles!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I don't know about that, but I've owned a sh*t ton of them in my life.

First one was in 1969, at age 16, M1896 cavalry carbine- for the exorbitant cost of $30. It coincided with my first bullet mold- a 155 grain plain base design. I cast the first bullets using an empty soup can and a propane torch and immediately stuffed 20 or 30 of them into Krag cases (with no lube on them, first mistake) over top of a pretty stiff charge of 2400 (second mistake). Out in the neighbors field at my "private shooting range" I rapped those twenty shots lickity-split downrange. First couple shot to the sights and I was cock-a-hoop. By the time I fired the last shot they were spraying all over the hillside. Heck, one or two might still be flying for all I know. I trudged home feeling not so hot after all. That night when I went to clean the gun I saw that the rifling grooves were packed level with lead- it looked like a smoothbore. Lesson learned, at the cost of several evenings and a few bore brushes: lube the damn*d bullets, and don't shoot them at around 2000 fps without a gas check. I went on to kill my first deer with that gun.

Favorite one was a Krag built by Sedgley. It was a three shot repeater (two in the magazine, one up the spout) with its magazine box removed but with the follower and spring cleverly fixed under the solid wood RH side of the classic-styled pistol grip stock, Lyman 48 sight. It went away along with a few other treasures 30 years ago, to help finance 36 acres of Pennsylvania woods.

I think I posted pics of my .22 Maximum Lovell single shot Krag custom, with heavy Marksman-style stock and double set triggers? Built by Hervey Lovell himself probably sometime in the 1930's. It's a whizzer.

Current on again-off again project: a M1896 attributable to a Trooper in the 1st Volunteer Cavalry, (Rough Riders). It came to me as a bare action and is being built as an homage to Townsend Whelen's custom Krag sporter. Griffin&Howe-style stock with kidney cheekpiece, ebony forearm tip, steel furniture, new Criterion barrel, Lyman 48 receiver sight, pretty crotchwood black walnut stock. I'll post pics at some point- it's at a gunsmith buddy's shop where I'm doing the work on it. (The college laboratory workshop that is my day job is not exactly a gun friendly environment.)

I look forward to seeing your latest project when its finished.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice Krag sporters hillbillybear and LEADMINER. Congrats to you both on the rifles. I am in the middle of refinishing the stock on my first Krag sporter right now. An 1894 Norwegian. All I know is that after spending some time at the range with a Krag, I already hope to have a second Krag sporter project again someday! Keep the Krag updates coming guys!

Last edited by sixfive; 08/06/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Did you happen to see Muledeer's article in Rifle? It was on his 6.5 Nor Krag, as I recall. Been awhile back but I just saw my copy the other day. It is somewhere around here. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.